Topic: RME ADI 2 DAC as Pre Amp (Beginner Question - Please Help)

Hi guys,

Happy to be a part of this forum. I’m also a proud owner of the RME Dac.

My system is node 2i > rme > marantz PM Ki ruby > dynaudio  special 40s

All this while, I had been using the Rme as just the dac and left the amplification job to the marantz integrated. Recently I learnt that rme could be used as a pre amp and that I could use my marantz as a power amp instead.

To my surprise, the system sounded way better than it did before.  Given rme’s robust functionalities, I am wondering what settings should I use / tweak when using the rme as a pre amp?

From what I could find on the internet, I’m hearing things like optimal level, distortion after a certain volume level, clipping, reference levels, loudness feature, etc.

I’m not very technical and don’t understand the science side of all this that well.

So as a starting point, I’m happy to mimic the config of someone who is using the rme as a pre amp in a similar setup.  Please could you help me or point me in the right direction. Thank you so much!!

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-09-18 08:43:10)

Re: RME ADI 2 DAC as Pre Amp (Beginner Question - Please Help)

Not necessary to fully understand the technical background.
ADI -2 has a smart function called “Auto Reference Level“, that automatically optimizes the level setting for maximum quality.

Best quality is achieved if you:

• Connect ADI-2 to Marantz “Power Amp In”.
• Switch on ADI-2’s  “Auto Reference Level“.
• Control the listening level with ADI-2 DAC’s volume control.

That’s it!

If you like further informations, look here for a more detailed guide, “Case 2” is for you:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721