Topic: Win10 Blue Screen with ADI-2 DAC (Pro)

I just got an RME ADI-2 DAC, updated its firmware to latest (as of yesterday), with MADIface installed.

I was listening to something through foobar2000 with ASIO MADIface as the interface, with the music paused - and I held the power-off button on the ADI remote control for a few seconds - which trigger a BSOD in Window 10.

I have a large crash dump for this available - can I please be linked an email address to send this to?

I just got this DAC and I'm very impressed with the feature set - but honestly, I'm a software developer for a living, and I'm beyond unimpressed with getting a BSOD while using this DAC.

It's completely unacceptable to ever have a BSOD from any software - I had work open on this computer and could have lost something important - whatever part of this software triggered a BSOD, it needs to be stripped down to the bare-minimum amount of kernel code, with the kernel portion made completely foolproof safe - and the meat of the code implemented at user level instead.

Re: Win10 Blue Screen with ADI-2 DAC (Pro)

Currently there is only one way to avoid this - do not remove the USB device in Foobar Pause state. We tried to fix this issue some time ago and it seemed to be solved (in driver 0.9375). I don't know why you see it now. Unfortunately the memory dump is pretty useless to debug the issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,

I have had similar issues with a Windows 7 kernel (more precisely, it's Windows 2008 R2 server) so it's not Windows-10 specific.

On the server, there's basically nothing installed, except foobar and there are TWO dacs connected to USB ports, one being the RME ADI2, but before adding it the machine never had a crash in years.

Here's my experience: I'm sharing some data, hoping that it can be useful
1) driver 0.9375
2) the pc is generally on 24/7, but I don't think the bug is related to uptime.
3) the first time, the crash happened pressing stop (or pause, I can't remember) in foobar. the BSOD code was MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
4) the second time, the BSOD happened during playback but with a different code, this time it was PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
5) the DAC was not turned on/off at the time of the crash (obviously, I don't keep it on all the time, but I was not even touching it).

I have the minidumps, but -as the error is corruption- the crash seems to point at the some kernel executable itself, not at any external driver.

is there any chance this improves in driver 9376?

No, those routines have not been changed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by m.holmes 2021-09-27 11:02:57)

MC wrote:

No, those routines have not been changed.

Thanks.
Quite likely, there is some memory corruption associated with the act of turning on/off the DAC.
I don't think it's related to the ADI2 being the default device (in my case it isn't), but possibly it happens when foobar is open on the pc (foobar is set to output to ADI2).

would you advise to leave the ADI2 on all the time?
The bug shows up only rarely, but when it does it's pretty annoying.

6 (edited by Shambler 2021-10-02 06:00:28)

Been away for the past week and a bit, so just getting back to this.

It looks like WASAPI with foobar2000 should provide equivalent quality, without the crashes - but with the new caveat, that I have to adjust MADIface settings to set the sample rate specifically for each song, if it differs... smile

I can get by with that for a bit (it feels like a really fudgy caveat, mind!) - and I understand that this is a bit of hardware that expects a somewhat technical audience - but...if there is a Quality Assurance team, I would task them with trying to get applications like foobar2000 working with bit perfect settings - and then do everything possible to make this as seamless and foolproof an experience as possible smile

I appreciate the technical difficulties with ASIO vs WASAPI etc. - but there's a QA problem, here - that non-dev folk should test out, if possible.

EDIT: Everything I say caveated/qualified, with the music from this DAC being by far the best I've heard so far. Enjoying it quite a lot. Am awaiting a (delayed) set of HD800's to compliment this.

I might be interested in exploring the software/drivers for this myself, in my own time, as a software dev.

It's easy - remove the RME driver completely. Then you get WASAPI exclusive including sample rate change via Windows' native UAC2 support.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks - I figured out that when using the WASAPI plugin with foobar2000 (https://www.foobar2000.org/components/v … out_wasapi), things are buggy when you have 24bit selected (need to select bitrate manually, even after uninstalling RME driver) - and work perfectly when you set 32bit (bitrate automatically switches).

24bit:
https://i.imgur.com/dMbvUuF.jpg

32bit:
https://i.imgur.com/2mHC9d1.jpg

All working perfectly now, in any case! Just a bit bumpy on setup.

9 (edited by gl 2022-04-13 23:03:50)

I have had the same PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (Bug Check Code 0x4e in ntoskrnl.exe) on turning off my RME UFX in Windows 10 for a long time now.  It was only occasional so I lived with it, but now I found a reliable repro case (latest UFX USB driver & firmware):

The issue is indirectly caused by my own C++ application, which (amongst other things) monitors the current UFX sample rate via the ASIO SDK periodically.  It does this by opening up the "ASIO Fireface USB" driver, and registering with Windows for 'audio device removed' notifications (so it can then close the driver, ready for when the device reconnects).

The PFN_... BSOD happens after the device is switched off and my code closes the ASIO driver.  Specifically, I use "asioCloseDriver()", and the BSOD happens on the ->Release() call inside this function (delaying the call by several seconds after the OS removal notification has no effect).

It seems that the driver is trying to release some internal memory that is already invalid as the device has now been removed - or perhaps it's trying to release that internal memory twice, not realising the device is already invalid?

I can post repro code and/or an executable if it helps.  I'd really like this fixed as a BSOD from (seemingly) correct SDK use is unacceptable.

Thanks for the information. We are currently working on this subject, I'll get in touch when I have news.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, I am using the ADI-2 DAC via on onboard USB on a Windows 10 setting. In 5 out of 10 times when I switch off the DAC I do experience a Windows Blue Screen. A switch of the USB ports did not help. When using another DAC connected in the same way a Blue Screen is not materializing in any case. This behaviour in correlation with the ADI-2 DAC is experienced since ca. 6 months (exact firmware releasse back then I do not remember). Workaround: I leave the DACH switched on the whole day and shut down Windows first. Reading this post I am wondering if this is really the solution going forward. Is there a bug in the firmware programming of the ADI-2 DAC? And, can this be fixed please.

The current and known workaround is to use the Safely Removal feature of Windows, before unplugging or power off the DAC. Has been mentioned here before in other threads.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC for the quick response. While I understand the workaround procedure, when can we expect to have this unusual (and in my view also critical in terms of causing a Blue Screen) behaviour of the firmware fixed for good? I am sure this can be done better.

I am not quite sure what and why you are asking. Did you notice the date of gl and my post?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

any update on this @MC?  were you able to repro my BSOD?

We had several driver updates internally. I will post one to try in the next days.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

We had several driver updates internally. I will post one to try in the next days.

Great.

This is a so called debug driver, version 0.9780. If you still get a BSOD then you could send us the memory dump and we could try to analyze what's goinmg wrong (without such a debug driver the memory dump is quite useless).

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … _debug.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks @MC, but I'm on the original UFX.  do you have a debug driver compatible with it?

It still surprises me that this issue is not fixed..

Others MS USB driver have this issue too or hanging the user process for ever while missing CancelIO

some link on MS part how to proceed on surprise removal

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window … l-sequence

21 (edited by gl 2022-06-19 00:43:20)

@MC, can you link a debug driver (USB) compatible with the original UFX?  I can send you a memory dump if the issue persists.