1 (edited by Klaus1234 2021-07-26 15:14:45)

Topic: USB Diagnosis: 3 Numbers?

Dear all,

I've found this question in this forum, but still no comprehensive answer.
What do the 3 numbers of the USB Diagnosis indicate?

I'm desparate, since I can't keep all 3 at Zero. Do they have to be "0"?
The first one keeps increasing, though I have updated all drivers, firmware, OS, Chipset Drivers etc. and tested all my USB ports.

I'm using the UFX+ with an MSI X399 SLI Plus Board.

Sometimes the recordings go well, without dropouts, even with the first number of the USB Diagnosis constantly increasing...

Cheers,
Klaus

Re: USB Diagnosis: 3 Numbers?

Yes, as clearly stated in the manual all 3 have to be zero. Check for BIOS and driver updates for that AMD board, and use the USB-C ports via adapter or direct cabling (USB-C to USB-B cable), maybe that works. Else there is not much more that can be done without getting additional hardware like PCIe USB cards.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

What is being used for usb diagnostics?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

4 (edited by Klaus1234 2021-07-26 21:15:00)

@ MC: Thanks!

mkok wrote:

What is being used for usb diagnostics?

That's what I'd like to know also. And why it's 3 numbers for a USB 3 port, and 1 for a USB 2 port?

I have now ordered a PCIe USB 3 card, since nothing else helped.

Cheers,
Klaus

Heute habe ich eine USB 3 PCIe Karte eingebaut, und jetzt ist alles in Ordnung. Alles auf 0.

Danke und Grüße,
Klaus

6 (edited by Ninbura 2021-09-25 23:33:09)

Klaus1234 wrote:

I have now ordered a PCIe USB 3 card, since nothing else helped.

Did this work for you? I’m also having a really hard time preventing errors on the x399 chipset, worried I may have to replace the entire PC.

EDIT: Just translated your last last message, looks like it worked for you. I’m using a PCIe USB card but my issues persist, maybe I have a bad card.

MADI FX, Fireface UFX+, ADI-648, HDSPe RayDAT, ADI-192 DD

You never told us what card (its chipset) you bought. Although there might not have been one doing this on an AMD system, so there might be no experience in this forum how one or the other works there.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You never told us what card (its chipset) you bought. Although there might not have been one doing this on an AMD system, so there might be no experience in this forum how one or the other works there.

Not sure I totally understand what you’re asking for, but Klaus1234 mentions he’s using an X399 motherboard in the original post. Not the exact model that I have, but it’s the same chipset.

I’m using this PCIe card:
FebSmart 4 Ports USB 3.0 Super Fast 5Gbps PCI Express (PCIe) Expansion Card
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072LS4JH7/re … &psc=1

Wonder if getting a “nicer” one like this would change anything:
Inateck PCIe to USB 3.2 Gen 2 Card
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M5YHWFD/re … &psc=1

The first one should be working in theory, alas I’m still having troubles.

I personally don't use those cards, but Ramses and some others here did (on Intel) and had big success with the former generation ones (4 separated FrescoLogic controllers on a Sonnet card). The NEC based FebSmart card seems quite new, never heard of that one before. The Inateck does not list its chipset, I fear it will be ASMedia...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

StarTech Dual Port USB 3.1 Karte - 10 Gbit/s per Port - 2x USB-A - PCIe, ASM2142 (PEXUSB311A2)

Also this card might work, but I have no long term experience with it and info pages
to this product (PEXUSB311A2) do not exist anymore.

At least the ASM2142 controller seems to work.
AFAIK it has been replaced by a more energy-efficient variant ASM3xxx

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

11 (edited by Ninbura 2021-09-26 16:10:41)

So this card has been tested in other systems?

Sonnet Allegro USB 3.0 PCIe 4-Port
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GRGCV2G/re … Y4W3YR5BTC

I understand that just because it’s been tested on other platforms doesn’t mean it’ll work on mine, but I’m willing to try whatever I can to get this working properly.

EDIT: Or do I want the Pro model? Just now realizing that it’s the one with “4 separate controllers”.

Sonnet Allegro Pro USB 3.2 Type A PCIe Card
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LG5TS6H/re … RX43EXADYR

EDIT 2: Hmm, maybe not, looks like it has 2 controllers and the documentation says it uses ASmedia, which sounds to be problematic.

EDIT 3: I see now, they used to sell a card with 4 separate controllers but it is now discontinued, just my luck. Though, in theory the card with 4 ports and a single controller should work all the same if I’m just using 1 port I’d think.

EDIT 4: That being said the Allegro Pro has the AS3142 which is the successor to the AS2142 so maybe like ramses is saying it could work. I’m sure I’ll just have to try both, I can actually get a Pro model in today. Hopefully things work with a high quality USB PCIe add-in cards and Lindy Chromo cables, if not I’ll have to look into replacing both my X399 PCs entirely, or switching to PCIe cards like the MADI FX.

Edit 3: Exactly.

I usually trust Sonnet, they know what they are doing, and are aware of typical compatibility issues. That said their choice of USB chip should work. The Pro might be overkill for your application, but still looks interesting.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The Pro might be overkill for your application, but still looks interesting.

Probably the case, I’ve got one of each coming.

But after further testing I’m not even confident that the USB connections on my motherboard are even the problem. I’ll update my other post as to me testings and results as they aren’t totally relevant to this thread.