Topic: Release Candidate Mac USB Big Sur 3.26 available

Mac Big Sur Intel/M1 driver 3.26 includes a new installer which no longer causes a fresh Big Sur installation to ask for Rosetta during the driver installation - which actually wasn't required at all. As this installer is quite new we would be happy to get some feedback before we put it on the website.

Of course 3.26 comes with some more changes. TotalMix 1.74 is included which fixes the mic gain control when using the ARC USB with Fireface UC and UCX II. And the Settings dialog no longer forgets Output Options set in the Settings dialog of the UCX II.

As mentioned in the readme, in the latest OS updates Apple has (silently?) fixed the well-known crash of the Touch Bar caused by surprise removal of USB devices. That also affects other USB devices - the surprise removal seems to work well now with some of our interfaces, like the Babyfaces and the UFX+. Others still show strange effects like the unplugged unit is still listed in the system.

Our workaround tries to check for such a state, and when detected to unload the unit from the driver side. That seems to work pretty well, especially when using macOS 11.6, and might even further improve in 11.7.

Download:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/driv … ac_326.zip

Thanks for testing!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Release Candidate Mac USB Big Sur 3.26 available

Test with Digiface USB ok.
Ran the installer und plugged in the Digiface without reboot, the settings is 326.
Totalmix shows signal.
Unplug and replug no problem, the device disappear from the system audio setting and reappear and Totalmix shows signal.
All looks pretty fine.
MacbookAir M1 BigSur 11.6

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hello, is this version still affected by the "driver not loaded after reboot" problem?
Am I risking to run into those troubles if I am updating to Big Sur 11.6 now to try out the RC 3.26 driver?

I am currently running 11.3 on my MacBook Pro M1 and everything works great regarding RME, but I would generally like to update macOS to fix some problems with the system which are not related to RME.

The 'driver after update not loaded' issue is an Apple issue, nothing we can do there. And as we have never seen that issue ourselves we can't know if that effect is adressed in 11.6.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello, we had a problem with squeaking and choking, when connecting 3x MOTU AVB and 2x DigiFace, when there was a master clock, one of Motu. In the end, we found out that connecting the last DF as a master clock helped and the sound is no longer a problem. Unfortunately, after installing the 3.26 driver, the sound and throttling occurred again. Now we have installed the driver 3.25 back and again everything is fine and the sound is without a problem, but once in about 5 minutes, there will be one click (you can see it in DigiCheck-Analyzer & in Interface Statistic-Missed). This slap was even before the 3.26 driver was installed.
j&r

MacMini M1|BigSur 11.2.3|Cubase 11.0.40|Motu 1248 AVB|2x Motu 24Ai|2x Digiface USB

Hello,

I was in the last driver and in macos 11.6 and just installed your new driver and it look like it's working. Halleluya!
I needed to enter terminal cmd as root to delete all security account. But as you said we are waiting for Apple!

I had this problemes :
- the unplugged unit is still listed in the system... Nothing working and need reboot. SOLVED
- totalmix dont start when plugged due to driver update and Big sur security bug. SOLVED (whith root terminal).

It's a fresh install will report issue if i see something, but i fell more positif right now...

Just a FYI:

Apple sent out a "Device Support Update" today for MacOS.

I have battled with the "resetting" of Kernel Extensions (having to do it again and again)

But after installing the MacOS update today - and my RME IF was in "down-state" - the moment after installing the update - my RME interface came back to life - no other action needed. TotalMix popped up after installing the update.

Now let's see if it will survive....

Excellent!! Just noticed that also.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

hselters wrote:

Hello, is this version still affected by the "driver not loaded after reboot" problem?
Am I risking to run into those troubles if I am updating to Big Sur 11.6 now to try out the RC 3.26 driver?

I am currently running 11.3 on my MacBook Pro M1 and everything works great regarding RME, but I would generally like to update macOS to fix some problems with the system which are not related to RME.

I finally updated my macOS from 11.3 to 11.6 and everything works great so far, using the RME USB Driver v3.27.

3.27 dropping out regularly on my ff 802. i'll give it one more chance, then i will go back to 3.25. what a disaster.

is this driver working with Fireface 800?

thx
Franky

Obviously not.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by manysounds 2021-10-16 16:14:50)

This package only half-works for me with a UFX on Big Sur 11.6

Case 1:
FRESHLY brand new M1 Mac Mini with a wiped and re-installed hard drive.
Driver install seems fine, after security enabling step the system barfs ->
MacOS asks you to restart get into Security Mode and enable user kernel extensions (expected).
Restarts and allows you to enable the extension, then restarts (expected).
Mac does not recognize UFX unless unit is rebooted. (no white screen initialization)
Audio I/O works! BUT
Totalmix starts but does not recognize device, "New Totalmix Window" does not list UFX.
Fireface USB Settings crashes on launch.
USB Firmware update crashes on launch.
Case 2:
Unfortunate experience with 2019 i9 MBP
Driver install seems fine, after security enabling step system restarts (expected).
Mac doesn't recognize UFX unless UFX is restarted.
Audio I/O works! BUT
Totalmix starts but does not recognize unit, "New Totalmix Window" shows device but window reports "disconnected" in title bar.
Fireface USB Settings crashes on launch.
USB Firmware update crashes on launch.

System has no crash reports for Fireface USB Settings.
Thanks Apple for the mire!

Currently owning: UFX, UCX, FF400