Topic: No sound and signal after recording midi track

Hello I have been trying for days to sort out a problem with a missing midi output signal in Total mix. I am working with pro tools and have a Roland FP 70 digital piano. For years i have been able to simply record a midi track in pro tools from the piano and listen back to it through Total mix of my fireface 4oo. It suddenly stopped working. I have an input signal on both pro tools and the total mix window when I record, but after recording, I have the signal on the recorded midi track in pro tools but not in total mix. I have tried pretty much everything I can think of, including changing midi cables, downloading new driver, putting I/O of pro tools, the keyboard and Total mix back to default settings. I have looked at midi ports, slave/master settings...although I have to admit, this is where my technical knowledge is at its limits. I have noticed though that in the fireface settings dialogue box, ADAT says LOCK, and I think it should say SYNC, Could it have something to do with that? I am just not sure, because when I record on instrument tracks in pro tools I do have audio. it's just the midi out back into the keyboard that's not working. Can anybody help me? Patricia

2 (edited by waedi 2021-10-04 01:07:26)

Re: No sound and signal after recording midi track

Hello Patricia
When you play the piano directly by hand, does it play ?
Loudspeakers may be off or a headphone is plugged in.

FP70 does not exist in the list of user manuals at Roland, I did a quick look into the user manual of the FP-80 instead.

Midi input channel is fix at all.

You can perform a simple test with a midi cable Loopback, the cable from the FF400 midi-out directly back into the FF400 midi input.
Then you create a new track in ProTools and try to record incoming midi.
If you receive some midisignals then the issue is the piano or the midicable.

Also to check is switching to another program sound in the piano.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by pdemayo1 2021-10-04 15:48:03)

Re: No sound and signal after recording midi track

Thank you so, so much for your reply. Yes it was a typo, regarding Roland model number. It's the FP 90. Strange thing, something seems to have sorted itself out over night....In any case I now know it's not the midi cables and probably not the piano. Now I have sound when I listen back to a recorded midi track. But: The thing is, I used to be able to route the piano through the FF400 midi ports showing up in the midi track output in pro tools and then the computer would automatically, via me changing the channels of the midi port's output, recognise program changes on the piano. Now, I can only listen back to a track  if I route it through a non existent Roland FP 11, which is the instrument that I created in pro tools midi studio (there is no FP 90 and I don't know how to add it. ) I can now record a track and I can listen back. However, it won't recognise, as it used to, if I then record another midi track with a different sound from the FP 90.  It's probably some setting somewhere...is it a pro tools setting or a fire face setting?  If it's to do with pro tools,  perhaps I can't expect of you to help me out with this one...but just in case it could have something to do with a fireface midi setting, any suggestion would be very welcome : ) Patricia
The most ridiculous thing just happened. It was working this morning, now it doesn't anymore. Is this  a hardware problem? Could it be the midi breakout cable?