Topic: Chaining UFX & UFX+

Hello,

First off apologies if this has been answered in the past. I’ve read a few of the forums with similar queries but just want to get a clear answer in my head.

I’ve moved to a new studio, they have a UFX & I have a UFX+.

We want to link them together to get the full 24inputs & 16 outputs.

I use the thunderbolt driver/cable for the UFX+ but the UFX does not have thunderbolt.

Initially I thought MADI was the way to go but the UFX doesn't have MADI unfortunately.

What I would like is to chain the two interfaces together and then only one is connected to my computer... is this possible?

2 (edited by ramses 2021-10-04 16:39:08)

Re: Chaining UFX & UFX+

Yes through
2x ADAT = 2x 8ch @44.1/48 kHz), 2x 4ch @88.2/96 kHz, 2x 2ch @176,4/192 kHz and
1x AES = 2ch @44.1-192 kHz

An alternative might be to sell the UFX and get AD/DA converter and/or preamps or
to get a 2nd UFX+, it should be possible to connect them through MADI.

Then you do not run into the "problem" that you can't route channels through the two different TM FX instances.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

If both the UFX and UFX+ were using USB wouldn't they both be available to the DAW software?

boz6906 wrote:

If both the UFX and UFX+ were using USB wouldn't they both be available to the DAW software?

No, they have different USB drivers, an application can only load one audio driver.
Ok you could route through DAW, BUT .. then you always have full RTL as latency for your routing.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Yes through
2x ADAT = 2x 8ch @44.1/48 kHz), 2x 4ch @88.2/96 kHz, 2x 2ch @176,4/192 kHz and
1x AES = 2ch @44.1-192 kHz

An alternative might be to sell the UFX and get AD/DA converter and/or preamps or
to get a 2nd UFX+, it should be possible to connect them through MADI.

Then you do not run into the "problem" that you can't route channels through the two different TM FX instances.

Thank you so much this is great information!