Topic: Development Proposition - Setup/DSP Management via App

Hi, I just bought an E1DA PowerDAC for my office. It is very similar to RMI ADI DACs in as much as it proposes DAC/Headphone Amp + DSP/EQ.  This box is tiny and dirt cheap with 80€ but the sound is quite ok. Because of the small size there are no physical controls and everything is done via an app (HPToy).  To be honest, the EQ/Setup control + management is seriously more comfortable compared to the manual operations on the ADI DACs.  In all other aspects the ADI products are vastly superior - but in this aspect the E1DA  is clearly more advanced in my opinion. Thanks for reading Bernd

2 (edited by ning 2021-11-10 03:19:55)

Re: Development Proposition - Setup/DSP Management via App

Such option is already available on RME's audio interfaces (such as the Fireface/Digiface series, via TotalMix FX). ADI-2 does not have this feature. It's not hard to implement but I doubt RME has the interest/resource to do that.

To me I prefer controlling DSP on my ADI-2 Pro and that's why I bought it. Otherwise I'd just buy a sub $300 DAC and do all the DSP on my computer if I ever want to reach to my computer to tune these parameters.

But yeah I agree exposing such parameters to the users/developers is useful. If RME can expose those values in their FPGA and release the drivers, I'd volunteer to build a user interface for that.

Lack of Totalmix integration made me go for a BFP instead of an ADI-2. I liked the sound of the latter better, but it's not workable in a DAW-context.

RME positions the ADI-2 as a converter instead of an interface & I hope they change their approach here.

4 (edited by ramses 2021-11-10 15:43:15)

NoisyNarrowBandDevice wrote:

Lack of Totalmix integration made me go for a BFP instead of an ADI-2. I liked the sound of the latter better, but it's not workable in a DAW-context.

RME positions the ADI-2 as a converter instead of an interface & I hope they change their approach here.

TM FX costs exactly €357 for this device... HOW ?!

1. Get an Digiface USB
https://www.thomann.de/de/rme_digiface_usb.htm

2. Integrate ADI-2 DAC/Pro it into your setup as I described in a blog: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

You might argue now, oh .. €357 on top ... but I could bet that the integration of TM FX into ADI-2 DAC/Pro would lead to a much more expensive product considering all the changes that would need to be done.

DIGIface USB and thus TotalMix FX you can buy at an attractive price, because this product is not so complex in terms of construction. In addition, you get an additional product, which can be easily taken along for mobile use due to its compact format.

You can connect both devices to your PC (Digiface USB and ADI-2 Pro) and you could e.g. store two different setups on the ADI-2 Pro for the following two use cases:
a) to listen DSD, then I would load a setup to get DSD audio from USB
b) for mixing and mastering route audio through the Digiface USB, in TotalMix FX use the Assign button to assign Main Out to the ADAT Output where your ADI-2 Pro is being connected.

It's possible now and will at the end be cheaper and offer to you more features as you can also use the two devices separated from each other.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Digiface does not have dsp. So your method does not work. The op wants an app to control dsp.

bernd.mielke wrote:

Hi, I just bought an E1DA PowerDAC for my office. It is very similar to RMI ADI DACs in as much as it proposes DAC/Headphone Amp + DSP/EQ.  This box is tiny and dirt cheap with 80€ ...

Where did you get it?
Seems to be sold out everywhere.
I am located in Germany.

ning wrote:

Digiface does not have dsp. So your method does not work. The op wants an app to control dsp.

Sorry Ning, but you might overlook, that we have two different people in this thread who are missing something in the ADI-2 DAC/Pro, but with a slightly different demand.

I answered to post #3 of NoisyNarrowBandDevice who needs only TotalMix. I still think my answer and proposal is absolutely valid for his demand which is only TotalMix.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ah sorry I misread again on my tiny smartphone. So sorry!

ning wrote:

Ah sorry I misread again on my tiny smartphone. So sorry!

Don't worry, all good :-)

KaiS wrote:
bernd.mielke wrote:

Hi, I just bought an E1DA PowerDAC for my office. It is very similar to RMI ADI DACs in as much as it proposes DAC/Headphone Amp + DSP/EQ.  This box is tiny and dirt cheap with 80€ ...

Where did you get it?
Seems to be sold out everywhere.
I am located in Germany.

I imported it via AliExpress. I was lucky this time and did not have to pay customs!