1 (edited by tschawo22 2021-11-05 20:26:03)

Topic: Strange Issue with my RME Babyface?

Hey Guys,

I've got a strange Issue with my RME Babyface. I bought this Babyface in 2010. So in all the years I never had such an strange issue. If I plug my Babyface via USB no matter to Mac or Windows it makes some strange noises. No Audio is comming through and Total Mix looks like it is totally distorted in every channel..

I've updatet the Firmware and Drivers to the current Versions. But nothing has changed..
This is how it looks like in Total Mix:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rcwfd7wv0apbk … 1.png?dl=0

I did a Resett on Total Mix a lot of times but this issue is still there.. Does anybody know what is wrong here and how can I solve this?

Re: Strange Issue with my RME Babyface?

maybe USB cable damaged?

thx
Franky

Samhain wrote:

maybe USB cable damaged?

Thanks I tried another USB-Cable but the problem is still there..

Hello!

When on Windows, does the driver report any errors? (Just keep the Driver Settings open for a few minutes)
Are you using an external power supply? Did you try with another one?

Did you contact RME Support, directly? Maybe, your BF needs servicing?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

When on Windows, does the driver report any errors? (Just keep the Driver Settings open for a few minutes)

Hi,

thanks for your suggestions. I'm not familiar with windows anymore because I'm mainly on Mac OS. Where can I check the Driver Settings on Windows? No I'm not using external power supply. Just the USB Cable bus powered.

tschawo22 wrote:
MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

Hi,

thanks for your suggestions. I'm not familiar with windows anymore because I'm mainly on Mac OS. Where can I check the Driver Settings on Windows? No I'm not using external power supply. Just the USB Cable bus powered.

Manual ch 8, settings dialog windows ..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

can you please explain that a bit furhter to me? I don't know what you mean..

tschawo22 wrote:
ramses wrote:

You will understand once you look at manual chapter 8, pls simply do.
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/bface_pro_fs_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/bface_pro_fs_e.pdf

Your question was: "Where can I check the Driver Settings on Windows?" and there you find the answer.
Look at the text and the screenshot of the Windows Desktop, Windows Notification bar and there you see the icons for TotalMix FX and the settings dialog for RME ASIO driver.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
tschawo22 wrote:
ramses wrote:

You will understand once you look at manual chapter 8, pls simply do.
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/bface_pro_fs_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/bface_pro_fs_e.pdf

Your question was: "Where can I check the Driver Settings on Windows?" and there you find the answer.
Look at the text and the screenshot of the Windows Desktop, Windows Notification bar and there you see the icons for TotalMix FX and the settings dialog for RME ASIO driver.

Does anybody know if it is possible that I was hacked or I get a Virus directly on my RME Babyface Hardware? Maybe it's a silly question but this strange behavior makes me think like that..
In the past few weeks my Device was working again as normal withoud this strange behavior and today I get the same Errors again..

There's no way the unit could be affected by a virus or so.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

ok thanks to clearify this

RME Support wrote:

It is so strange.. after I'm unplugged my WLAN Router from power and plugged in again the Babyface seems to working withoud this strange behavoir... maybe it is a question of time til this issue comes again if it is an Hardware Issue I don't know..
or someone is trying to monitoring me..

Hello!

tschawo22 wrote:

..or your Mac MoBo's chipset doesn't have enough pci lanes! smile
Are you using a hub?
Did you try another usb port?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

tschawo22 wrote:

..or your Mac MoBo's chipset doesn't have enough pci lanes! smile
Are you using a hub?
Did you try another usb port?

yea I've tried everything. It's seems to be no network or Wlan, Monitoring Issue because today I've got the same Error even when I'm totally offline..

I've got the same issues on different computers, Windows Laptop, Macbook and Mac Pro Desktop. Different USB-Ports and Cables doesn't make any difference. Sometimes the crackling Issues and no audio signal are there and sometimes not.. I really like to know where this issue is comming from.. ?

you say driver and firmware is updated but you didn't say the version number.
May you double-check those...
What Babyface is it ? blue or silver ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I sometimes get a similar thing with mine.

I use it with a USB hub switcher thing, with a switch to move it between a windows PC and my macbook. Sometimes I'll bring my macbook back from somewhere, plug it in and I'll get this kind of behaviour. I see it as a some sort of DC lock, mismatched 0V earth pin weirdness!.. Totally made up and non scientific. I fix it by plugging the babyface into another computer (or just another USB port directly, which seems to "discharge" whatever's going on.

I know my setup is far from ideal, but it's just for casual work so I've never investigated this further. I know the fault is with the switcher, not the Babyface, but the behaviour is similar to yours. I do however hear horrible rhythmic, full scale DC-like noise on the headphones or speakers if they're plugged in/on.