Topic: FireFace 802 with ADI-8 DS - How to set up?

I have an 802 connected to my windows PC via USB and it has worked great for years. I run it in 48 and use Totalmix to route. Wanted to add inputs and outputs so I bought an ADI-8DS to connect via ADAT.

I am a bit confused on how to set this up properly. This ADI8 has a great sound and clock so im not sure what should be master and slave. Id like to use all the i/o for both devices but also achieve the best sound and clock possible.

I suspect I have done some stuff wrong as I am not getting any output from the ADI8 outs when I route them in total mix, but the inputs are working fine and my hardware plays through them nicely. The front of the 802's state area shows a green LED that is steady for 5 seconds then blinks next to ADAT 2.

Here is what I did so far. I am sure I need to fix some things:

I connected a word clock cable from the out of the 802 to the In of the ADI. I think this may either be wrong or not needed  (?)

ADAT/toslink cable from the ADI 8 inputs side is going to the in of the RME.
ADAT/Toslink cable from the ADI8 output sides is going to the other in of the RME. I also think these may be done incorrectly (?)

The front of the ADI8 is set from left to right - +4dbu. Process section  - nothing selected. A/D internal. Clock at 48. D/A Internal.  Digital input - ADAT (blinking green light). Combine -  nothing selected. Copy mode, nothing selected. Output level is +4dbu.

The little fireface setup menu on my PC shows word clock at "no lock". ADAT 1 " No lock" and ADAT 2 switches between "lock" and "sync" at 48khz.

So I am definitely making mistakes here. Can anyone assist?

I am a bit confused on how to use a converter so im not sure if it can be the master or slave or how that even works.

I also just had some focusrite octopres hooked up to the RME with the same cables and everything worked great, so the cables are all fine.

2 (edited by waedi 2021-11-28 01:47:15)

Re: FireFace 802 with ADI-8 DS - How to set up?

Yes the word clock cable is not needed.
Yes there is something incorrect.
Adat connection has in and out, one out has to go to the in of the other device.
In the Fireface settings set the clock-mode to adat optical.
There is no rule or downside regarding master / slave position.
One must be master (internal clock) and the other must be slave (sync to digital input)

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Re: FireFace 802 with ADI-8 DS - How to set up?

waedi wrote:

Yes the word clock cable is not needed.
Yes there is something incorrect.
Adat connection has in and out, one out has to go to the in of the other device.
In the Fireface settings set the clock-mode to adat optical.
There is no rule or downside regarding master / slave position.
One must be master (internal clock) and the other must be slave (sync to digital input)

Huge help, thank you.

I focused on just using ADAT 1 for everything.

Sent the ADI outs to the in of the 802 and the Ins to the out.

Changed the clock source in the software to ADAT 1 and removed the clock cable.

Now ADAT 1 in the software says sync at 48khz and the green lights are all solid on both RMEs.

All my ins and outs are also working so I think I am all set now.

Thank you again!