Topic: Loopback/Zoom/FaceTime Issues, Babyface Pro

Hello Forums:

BabyfacePro, v1.75
M1 Mac Air 2021, Monterey

I'm having a bit of an issue here regarding LoopBack, playing audio into Zoom for Online Music Lessons. I'm a professional teacher, and I've been doing online lessons incorporating my babyface pro and zoom for over two years, I am not inexperience to this system.

Previous to Today I have been using the ADAT 3/4 Looped back into itself ---> LadioCast --->BlackHole2ch ---> Zoom or OBS or Whatever else. Today however I watched a lot of videos and found out that you can of course do this without the two 3rd party software, but this has led me into the issue of MacOS not sending audio in the same way that Zoom does.

Zoom/Logic Pro/3rd party standalone plugins work: AN1/2 --> LoopBack No System sounds, but catching PH3/4 and music playback --> all fine. It works for recording as well, as intended.

FaceTime/GoogleMeet do NOT work, and loopback creates voice duplicates of my partner. I'm presuming this is because these programs don't treat audio the same way and send all of the audio to PH3/4 and not to AN1/2+PH3/4

I've tried creating Aggregate Devices in my AudioMidiEffects, to no avail. Is there a work around for this, am I routing this wrong, or is it impossible with these programs? I've attached photos as well.

My students and clients and I are very grateful for any help

https://imgur.com/a/aGmgGWh

Re: Loopback/Zoom/FaceTime Issues, Babyface Pro

You are sending the sound to the headphone output but not to the AN1/2, therefor Loopback on AN1/2 will provide no sound.
You have to click the output AN1/2 for highlighting it.
Then raise the fader of the software playback channel AN1/2, the first fader from left in the middle row (you can see your signal there), instead of raising the fader you also can double-click it.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by alvinwayneshipp 2021-11-30 16:51:18)

waedi wrote:

You are sending the sound to the headphone output but not to the AN1/2, therefor Loopback on AN1/2 will provide no sound.
Then raise the fader of the software playback channel AN1/2, the first fader from left in the middle row (you can see your signal there), instead of raising the fader you also can double-click it.

maybe the original photos do not show the settings correctly, but I'm currently testing the routing w/ clients and they work perfectly for Zoom and for Google Meet, but I think the issue is in fact with Monterey or MacOS15.

Zoom and Google Meet using CHROME accurately show my microphone settings, transmit my audio and software playback correctly as intended using loopback.

Google Meet using SAFARI does not work and does not even show my Babyface Pro as an input device.
Facetime does not show Babyface Pro as an input device.

Could anyone else be so kind to check this behavior? Here are screenshots showing the selection preferences. MacOS shows that my input device under sound preferences is set to Babyface Pro, but FaceTime and Safari do not show this input device, but do accurately see my HD Webcam?

NEW IMAGES: https://imgur.com/a/pdCHKdX

Did you try 'Use system setting'? As you just selected the BF Pro to be the system device...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes I did do this, and tried and aggregate device and neither of them work unfortunately.

MC wrote:

Did you try 'Use system setting'? As you just selected the BF Pro to be the system device...

6 (edited by alvinwayneshipp 2021-11-30 18:31:11)

waedi wrote:

I retried this with a student today and if I raise AN1/2 Software playback for AN1/2 Submix he can hear himself, so my settings are indeed correct for live sharing LOOPBACKED audio and not sharing client sound.

Is it notable that I currently have no speakers plugged into AN1/2, they're empty on my device and only have PH3/4 plugged in, so I am routing all of this for sound only to PH3/4, and loopbacking AN1/2.

Any update or suggestions from anyone?

May you provide two screenshots of your Totalmix ?
One with activated hardware output PH3/4
One with activated hardware output AN1/2
Having good signals on the inputs would be helpful.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Here at the WORKING Totalmix setup for Zoom and Google Meet with Chrome.

Again, the issue is not that this "doesn't work", the issue is that it doesn't work with Facetime or with Safari Web Based applications or sound sharing - the input doesn't even show up.

PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

I'm responding because I had a similar issue, I'm a music teacher and I found there was some latency in the Zoom recording and the other person on zoom when I was playing along with a youtube video or music I'm streaming in the zoom lesson.

I read the other replies in this thread and I didn't see a followup solution, so here is what worked for me, which looks like alvinwayneshipp was on the cusp of.

I had to keep my speakers plugged into the Babyface Pro FS, but I turned them off (they are powered), and then I turned on the loopback on AN 1/2 Hardware Output and made sure the fader on the software playback AN 1/2 was up to 0. And then Zoom was able to hear my computer audio as well as my microphone audio.

It's too bad that it doesn't work using the unused hardware output channels, but I think it has to do with how the VOIP programs take only channel 1 of audio or something like that.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for writing awesome stuff to point me in the right direction. I love my babyface pro FS interface.