Topic: Mac Pro 7,1 Big Sur, UFX+ Kernel Panics

Hi,
I've been having kernel panics with my 2019 Mac Pro running Big Sur for many months now. It happens everyday, after about 30 minutes to an hour from first boot. And then no longer happens the rest of the day. It also does not happen when running Catalina, oddly. It always occurs when running VE Pro 7 along side Logic Pro or Cubase.

I've contacted Apple and they say they don't know what is going on. VSL were kind enough to look at the panic reports and said it looks to them to be thunderbolt related. Unfortunately, Steinberg is a lost cause when any kind of support.

I tried using the UFX+ with USB3, and if memory servers me correct, I didn't have kernel panics. However, one of the main reasons I purchased the UFX+ was for the thunderbolt 3 connectivity because I have no available USB3 ports on my Mac Pro.

I also have a 2nd UFX+ I use on a secondary Mac which I've swapped to the Mac Pro to make sure it was or wasn't the interface itself. Kernel panics occur with both UFX+.

RME is pretty much my last hope into finding out why this is happening. Please help me figure this out.

Thank you

Re: Mac Pro 7,1 Big Sur, UFX+ Kernel Panics

Hi there, I have exactly the same issue but on Catalina. Sometimes an hour or so and then quick mouse lag and then reboot. I also have Mac Pro 7,1 w thunderbolt UFX+. I used to run it w usb, and I don’t think I had issues so I’m going to swap back to USB to see how it goes.
Let me know if you find a solution and Ill let you know how I get on.

3 (edited by Maddcow 2021-12-22 23:46:34)

I’ve been using a UFX+ via Thunderbolt 3 on several 2019/2020 MacBook Pro machines with both Catalina and Big Sur for 2 years and have never, ever had a kernel panic. I’ve actually never had any problems at all with the UFX+ and my MBP machines.

Are you using high-quality Thunderbolt cables and adaptors? This is VERY important!!!

sure thing, we’re talking about issues with Mac Pro 2019, 7,1 here though.

5 (edited by bender-offender 2022-01-17 20:26:31)

Maddcow wrote:

I’ve been using a UFX+ via Thunderbolt 3 on several 2019/2020 MacBook Pro machines with both Catalina and Big Sur for 2 years and have never, ever had a kernel panic. I’ve actually never had any problems at all with the UFX+ and my MBP machines.

Are you using high-quality Thunderbolt cables and adaptors? This is VERY important!!!

Apologies, I'm a bit late responding because of work.

As domjamesmusic said, it's something to do with the 2019 Mac Pro. I, too, have tested the same setup on my 2020 Macbook Pro and everything seems okay (although, I did not do long-term test).

That said, I have a 2nd UFX+ on an iMac Pro and it recently began having the same issues after updating it to Big Sur. Again, no issues whatsoever while running Catalina.

I have replaced my Thunderbolt cables as well to make sure it wasn't that, but I still have the panics. However, I swapped my UFX+ on the Mac Pro to USB3 and haven't had any panics in a while.

I'm really uncertain the exact cause of all of this. On my end, it seems to be the combination of running Big Sur, Cubase/Nuendo, and the UFX+ connected via Thunderbolt. Yet all three manufacturers say it's not their product causing the panics. My gut feeling says it is the driver for the UFX+ Thunderbolt for Big Sur.

I’m on Catalina w Mac Pro 2019 and was getting daily kernel panic on TB. No problems whatsoever since moving to USB port.