Re: RME ADI-2 FS; an independent review

Oh well...

joachim.herbert wrote:

Oh well...

Not sure what that means Joachim...?
R

I'm personally put off by video reviews: hard to scroll, slow to get to the interesting parts. Not suer if that is what 'Oh well' means though smile

Bonky wrote:

Apologies if others have posted this.

I like this guy and his reviews.

See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzYREbLR-8s

Richard

I agree he does a pretty good job. In the end, reviews can only give you an idea as to what any product truly offers. If they are informative and entertaining, then I will watch them. I always have to remind myself though, that even if a bunch of 'professional reviewers' agree (good or bad) and form a 'consensus', they can still all be wrong. This why I do not classify myself as an 'audiophile', because 'audiophile' reviewers can be the worst. They will try to tell you that if you like a certain piece of gear or a certain type of sound or music than you are somehow ill informed, less refined or not as smart as they are. Like they are the first and last word in what is or is not 'hi-fi' or whatever nonsense. I am personally a bit of a technophile' and a music lover.

A good example of how a whole bunch of 'audiophile' gatekeepers ('reviewers') can all be wrong- When I first got into 'real' headphones a few years ago, I read everywhere that the HD800 were over rated, old, out dated etc. Worst of all, these 'reviewers' made statements about the HD800 like "the peak at 6k makes these un listenable" or "they don't have any bass". So I stayed away from the HD800/S for two years. Then I had an opportunity presented to buy a set in pristine condition for......$400! So I said they can't be that bad, I will give them a try. I loved them! Nice tight and clean bass, THE BEST MIDS EVER and treble that is nearly perfect. World class comfort and build quality and of course a soundstage of the gods. My favorite open back to this day and I have tried Susvara, LCD-5, Utopia et al. Could they be a tad sharp at times? Sure, like one in thirty songs. That is what my RME ADI-2 DAC is for!

Moral of the story? Even if a "trusted" reviewer informs you, the only way to truly know if you will like something (or not) is to try it yourself. No amount of reading or watching videos will replace listing to YOUR music on the the gear for evaluation.

It's almost impossible to disagree with anything mentioned here 04gto.

To cut to the minimum, the reviewer 'highly recommended' the DAC and, although I didn't watch all of it (I scrolled a bit), the only slight criticism was a lack of sound stage cf some other (more expensive) DACS. Unless I missed it, he didn't mention the excellent headphone amp section.

As with everything like this, it comes down to subjective evaluations and one of the points I expected others to comment upon was this concept of 'synergy'. He thought that a valve amp - in particular, the Willsenton R8 would be the ideal partner.

Would others agree that the two items would 'mesh'?

Thanks

7 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-24 01:47:30)

The review isn‘t too bad, but:

If one does a review he should at least know and use the correct name of the product:

RME ADI-2 DAC FS.

As we all know smile there are 3 totally different ADI-2s:
ADI-2 FS
ADI-2 DAC FS
ADI-2 Pro

with some variants over the time.

Didn't he call it by the correct name first and then - as he's done with so many products with long ('stupid') names, shorten them into something more meaningful? (I'm with him on this!)

~I asked him some months ago whether he was going to do a review on this DAC and urged him to go to this site and obtain the latest firmware update. I have no idea whether he has or which chipset he had on the review model.

Just in case anyone is in doubt, I have ~NO~ plans to change my DAC. For my needs it's perfect.

I was, and still am, interested in views on the best partner amp etc. Are valve amps more suited, and if so, why?

( At present I have a World Design valve amp and am very pleased with it).

9 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-24 01:51:14)

Bonky wrote:

Didn't he call it by the correct name first and then - as he's done with so many products with long ('stupid') names, shorten them into something more meaningful? (I'm with him on this!)

No, even the written title is wrong.
He murmurs some complaint about the name in the beginning, then reverses DAC and FS, no simplification.

Further on, he totally misses the opportunity to compare the sound of the different DAC filters.
Maybe he can’t hear the difference smile

The best reviewers are here at this forum, THE REAL USERS.

I do not mean those reviewers at YT are bad, but they run the unit only for few days may be? or play several pieces of music? Or they say something to make them sounds wiser?

The real users here exchange their idea and experience here, feed back to RME and polish the product to a better one with newer firmware, also support new user(s) while they have question(s) during set up and matching equipment.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

11 (edited by ramses 2021-12-24 08:26:27)

He recommends the product, at least something :-) But overall I didn't like the review.

I also noticed that he didn't even get the product name right, but if only that had been it..

EDIT: I am not sure if such kind of reviews are really useful for the product, because after looking at it, it is not clear for the buyer what he pays more money for. That it is quite important features that can provide him with a better quality and really support him in the operation of the device or even in troubleshooting and thus provide real added value.

He just scratched the surface, but unfortunately completely left out the most important product features that make this device so unique and special in the market so that everybody gets a well understanding, why the price is justified and why you can not simply compare this device to a €400 device which is lacking many of those things.

He could also have mentioned a little bit about RME's background in the studio area. Where on earth do you get nowadays still such nicely written manuals in two languages which are very informative and also instantly updated?
Also nothing about:
- RMEs long term firmware and driver support
- the excellent involvement and support from RME in the RME User Forum
- RME DIGIcheck and it's features that you also get for free

With RME you enter a long term relationship. How many excellent ideas and wishes from customers have been picked up by RME from forum and implemented. The many firmware updates and that even the 1st devices from 5y ago can make use out of all the new stuff.

Unfortunately, you also won't find any references to his test methodology, so his statements about sound or sound differences may be based on psychoacoustic effects. Of course, in his reviews you can also find a cable comparison with a recommendation, it looks like a similar problem.

Also missing a note about the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. Many audiophiles also want to be able to archieve their analog or digital treasures on DAT tapes or to connect balanced phones. Therefore he should have named the Pro and its unique features, because you can save a lot of money if you get the Pro and do not have to buy separate devices to get analog inputs, sample rate converter, AES I/O and so on... Or just the space savings of having everything in one device that is just as compact as the ADI-2 DAC FS.

Otherwise, he seems to have done everything right on YouTube. Not a single negative click and everyone thanks him. He just seems to say exactly what everyone wants to hear and presents the whole thing in a nice package: British audiophile, nice living room, intellectual touch.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

There is another one about the PRO.

https://youtu.be/6xOfPmbhABc

Not bad, but still not good enough...
Seems they do not understand the Auto Ref Level and seldom or never mention about its advantage....

I want everyone, most especially our friend Bocky, to realise that everything written below, is done in genuine good will and not meant to offend anyone.

To promote perspicacious thought, which I trust will be helpful to everyone.

To be honest, initially, I didn’t understand the “Oh Well…” comment.

So, I watched the review all the way through.

And my first thought was.

Oh Well…

That’s the absolute truth!

I’m writing for a special reason.

This thread has concerned me somewhat.

Because the forum has a rule concerning SPAM!

According to Bonky, he has communicated with the reviewer.

Therefore, it follows that some level of relationship exists between them.

According to his website, the reviewer has 58 patrons earning him £452 per month.

He is not simply giving reviews, but MONETISING his output, to generate an additional income.

Therefore, the salient question to ask is whether this thread is acting as an agent of the reviewer, promoting SPAM!

It may be that our friend Bonky, is unwittingly, unknowingly, unaware, that by posting the link, inviting and encouraging discussion.

He has become an agent for asymmetrical promotion of a third party.   

I am not accusing Bocky, of directly benefitting from such promotion.

But it would be naïve to imagine that such promotion benefits no one. 

Quote; “I have no idea whether he has or which chipset he had on the review model.”

Well, I know what chipset he has, simply because I watched the video, where that chipset is stated.

Therefore, with respect, its crystal clear that a review is being promoted by an individual who either: Has not watched the video at all. Or who watched it but never really paid it, proper attention, but none the less chose to promote it regardless.

That begs the question WHY?

With respect.

Clearly, the actual purpose of the video.

Is to promote the reviews business which one can pay to subscribe to.

It’s not actually about the RME product, or any of the many, many other products referred to.

Everything mentioned and discussed throughout the video is in reality, but a means to an end. To get you to subscribe to his channel.

Better to save the money and buy some expensive high-end cables! smile

Quote: “The best reviewers are here at this forum, THE REAL USERS.”

A powerful observation. Well stated!

Throughout the motor industry, the famous JD Powers Vehicle Dependability Survey is the one ALL the manufacturers, really take very seriously.

Because, it represents a year-long study of all the faults of models from every manufacturer, as experienced and reported by THE REAL USERS.

A company, is simply a mirror of the individuals, that work within it.

Thus, a company is no better or worse than the people who are responsible for its direction, that run and manage it and work for it.

In that respect, designing and manufacturing products is like recording music. If you have great musicians and great music goes into the mics, great music will eventually come out of the speakers.

So, the tremendously high esteem and regard with which RME is held globally, is in reality, simply a reflection of the excellence and dedication of everyone involved with the RME team, from top to bottom, throughout the company.

After a while, one gets a feel for a company, its ethos, its values, its principles, its culture, its mindset, its ideology, its mentality, its attitude.

In short. The company's SPIRIT!

A good reputation is extremely hard to earn and incredibility easy to lose.

But there's a point, where a company’s reputation is such, that reviews of the kind posted here, as interesting as they might be to some.

Are completely superfluous, to customers who have experienced the conceptual brilliance and sheer genius of RME’s ground breaking innovations.

The sheer excellence of its products design and reliable build quality. The high calibre of its people and their superlative commitment, to provide unparalleled customer service, which entirely transcends, industry norms.

The essential point about the products manufactured by such companies, is that the products sell themselves.

Rather than requiring any marketing and sales people to actively sell them.

When you can purchase a product from a company like that!

What need have you of third-party reviews?

Quote: “Maybe he can’t hear the difference”

All through the review, I was wondering what the resonance from his fire place up through his chimney, would have been?

Its a novel way to share the love of music with the neighbourhood, but what's Father Christmas going to make of it?

Or Rudolf awaiting, red nose glowing, at the chimney top?

"As the holiday season of 1938 came to Chicago, Bob May wasn’t feeling much comfort or joy. A 34-year-old ad writer for Montgomery Ward, May was exhausted and nearly broke. His wife, Evelyn, was bedridden, on the losing end of a two-year battle with cancer. This left Bob to look after their four-year old-daughter, Barbara.

One night, Barbara asked her father, “Why isn’t my mommy like everybody else’s mommy?” As he struggled to answer his daughter’s question, Bob remembered the pain of his own childhood. A small, sickly boy, he was constantly picked on and called names. But he wanted to give his daughter hope, and show her that being different was nothing to be ashamed of. More than that, he wanted her to know that he loved her and would always take care of her. So he began to spin a tale about a reindeer with a bright red nose who found a special place on Santa’s team. Barbara loved the story so much that she made her father tell it every night before bedtime. As he did, it grew more elaborate. Because he couldn’t afford to buy his daughter a gift for Christmas, Bob decided to turn the story into a homemade picture book.

In early December, Bob’s wife died. Though he was heartbroken, he kept working on the book for his daughter. A few days before Christmas, he reluctantly attended a company party at Montgomery Ward. His co-workers encouraged him to share the story he’d written. After he read it, there was a standing ovation. Everyone wanted copies of their own. Montgomery Ward bought the rights to the book from their debt-ridden employee. Over the next six years, at Christmas, they gave away six million copies of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer to shoppers. Every major publishing house in the country was making offers to obtain the book. In an incredible display of good will, the head of the department store returned all rights to Bob May. Four years later, Rudolph had made him into a millionaire.

Now remarried with a growing family, May felt blessed by his good fortune. But there was more to come. His brother-in-law, a successful songwriter named Johnny Marks, set the uplifting story to music. The song was pitched to artists from Bing Crosby on down. They all passed. Finally, Marks approached Gene Autry. The cowboy star had scored a holiday hit with “Here Comes Santa Claus” a few years before. Like the others, Autry wasn’t impressed with the song about the misfit reindeer. Marks begged him to give it a second listen. Autry played it for his wife, Ina. She was so touched by the line “They wouldn’t let poor Rudolph play in any reindeer games” that she insisted her husband record the tune.

Within a few years, it had become the second best-selling Christmas song ever, right behind “White Christmas.” Since then, Rudolph has come to life in TV specials, cartoons, movies, toys, games, colouring books, greeting cards and even a Ringling Bros. circus act. The little red-nosed reindeer dreamed up by Bob May and immortalized in song by Johnny Marks has come to symbolize Christmas as much as Santa Claus, evergreen trees and presents. As the last line of the song says, “He’ll go down in history.”"

15 (edited by mediummanting 2021-12-24 14:01:15)

ramses wrote:

British audiophile, nice living room, intellectual touch.

It's all a bit pretentious if you ask me!

16 (edited by Bonky 2021-12-24 14:44:20)

I don't and won't take offence at anything written above except this:

"Because the forum has a rule concerning SPAM!
According to his website, the reviewer has 58 patrons earning him £452 per month.
He is not simply giving reviews, but MONETISING his output, to generate an additional income.
Therefore, the salient question to ask is whether this thread is acting as an agent of the reviewer, promoting SPAM"

(Why is it with so many forums that what starts of as a perfectly balanced, ordinary, non-confrontational comment or article soon descends into verbal fisticuffs? I don't understand it!). Initially I did take offence against this slur against my character even though the writer has attempted to diffuse potential conflicts of interest. Let's leave it there.

FYI I do not have any 'relationship' with the reviewer save asking him to review the DAC and ensure he had the latest firmware update. I do NOT, I repeat, NOT, give him any money whatsoever.

Yes, you're correct, I skipped some parts of the review as I was more interested in the conclusion. I was pleased he gave it a very favourable review. We all like our prejudices (esp expensive kit choices) to be confirmed, don't we? I have since watched it again.

All I did was post the URL of the review. Initially, I made no other comment save I liked his manner and his reviews. I believe he has a physics degree so some of his technical insights I welcome. He is not afraid of calling out BS! (see his review of cables).

I was much more interested in his comments re partnering amps etc. I have stated this twice and yet have received no comments on this - just implied criticism of his methodology. As usual we now have some rather conflicting ruminations about the value of objective measurements and subjective evaluations. It was ever thus and I think, will ever be. Perhaps we need both...but 'using your ears' is probably the most persuasive to most. I repeat. I am very pleased with my RME DAC and can't see myself ever buying another.

(My only wish is that, as many others have stated, there was an easy set-up guide (an idiot's guide?) to be included with the extensive tome included with the DAC).

So to return to my original question, what do others think makes the best 'synergistic' partnering equipment (esp the amp)... and why?

Goodwill to all men. Have a good, illness-free Christmas and New Year everyone.

17 (edited by ramses 2021-12-24 15:58:12)

> So to return to my original question, what do others think makes the best 'synergistic'
> partnering equipment (esp the amp)... and why?

That has nothing to do with each other. This / a DAC has no "personal preferences" for any amplifier. The sound is being reproduced transparently and in very good quality. You connect the DAC to the pre- or power amp (or active speakers) of your choice.

The design of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro with the 4 different reference levels and the feature auto reflevel offers you the greatest possible flexibility for this.

What kind of amplifier you take depends on many other factors and finally the price, but really not on the DAC, which reproduces everything transparently and has no "signature sound".

You should ask yourself
- are active monitors sufficient to me
- do I need perhaps another preamp or is the ADI-2 DAC/Pro sufficient to act as preamp
- if you want a separate preamp, do you want separate preamp and power amp or power amp as two mono blocks or maybe you want to have an intrgrated amp to save room and cost

Then this also depends on your listening habits and room acoustic in your home.
Maybe your partner has certain requirements in terms of sound, style, size etc.
Class A, AB or D or Tube amplifier ?
Some speaker designs might require a more powerful poweramp.

Well .. this is not so easy and wherever you will ask, everybody will tell you that his solution sounds good or the best .. you need to take care of that on your own.

Best to go into a shop, listen to some devices consider 3 or 4 that you like most and then try maybe 2 or 3 combinations at home in your room for the final selection.
This efforts you might have to pay, but its worth especially if you buy higher priced gear.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

>So to return to my original question, what do others think makes the best 'synergistic' partnering equipment (esp the amp)... and why?

Once the source is fixed and perfect, the possibilities of downstream equipment is huge.

My Dac is paired to a humble Yamaha WXA-50 amp, a pair of humble Dali Oberon 1, it shines, IT ALSO SHINES on some other system of my friends(rich, very rich) which cost more than 70,000 Euros ....

Bonky wrote:

I don't and won't take offence at anything written above except this:

"Because the forum has a rule concerning SPAM!
Therefore, the salient question to ask is whether this thread is acting as an agent of the reviewer, promoting SPAM"

(Why is it with so many forums that what starts of as a perfectly balanced, ordinary, non-confrontational comment or article soon descends into verbal fisticuffs? I don't understand it!). Initially I did take offence against this slur against my character even though the writer has attempted to diffuse potential conflicts of interest. Let's leave it there.

FYI I do not have any 'relationship' with the reviewer save asking him to review the DAC and ensure he had the latest firmware update. I do NOT, I repeat, NOT, give him any money whatsoever.

Yes, you're correct, I skipped some parts of the review as I was more interested in the conclusion. I was pleased he gave it a very favourable review. We all like our prejudices (esp expensive kit choices) to be confirmed, don't we? I have since watched it again.

All I did was post the URL of the review. Initially, I made no other comment save I liked his manner and his reviews. I believe he has a physics degree so some of his technical insights I welcome. He is not afraid of calling out BS! (see his review of cables).

I was much more interested in his comments re partnering amps etc. I have stated this twice and yet have received no comments on this - just implied criticism of his methodology. As usual we now have some rather conflicting ruminations about the value of objective measurements and subjective evaluations. It was ever thus and I think, will ever be. Perhaps we need both...but 'using your ears' is probably the most persuasive to most. I repeat. I am very pleased with my RME DAC and can't see myself ever buying another.

(My only wish is that, as many others have stated, there was an easy set-up guide (an idiot's guide?) to be included with the extensive tome included with the DAC).

So to return to my original question, what do others think makes the best 'synergistic' partnering equipment (esp the amp)... and why?

People here only want technical discussions concerning rme product itself.  Third party reviews/comments are not well received, especially with no technical data or measurements provided.

WY

CD Transport>optical>RME ADI-2 DAC FS(AKM)>XLR balanced >GLM software>Genelec Monitors 8340A

CrispyChips wrote:

"As the holiday season of 1938 came to Chicago, Bob May wasn’t feeling much comfort or joy. A 34-year-old ad writer for Montgomery Ward, May was exhausted and nearly broke. His wife, Evelyn, was bedridden, on the losing end of a two-year battle with cancer. This left Bob to look after their four-year old-daughter, Barbara.

One night, Barbara asked her father, “Why isn’t my mommy like everybody else’s mommy?” As he struggled to answer his daughter’s question, Bob remembered the pain of his own childhood. A small, sickly boy, he was constantly picked on and called names. But he wanted to give his daughter hope, and show her that being different was nothing to be ashamed of. More than that, he wanted her to know that he loved her and would always take care of her. So he began to spin a tale about a reindeer with a bright red nose who found a special place on Santa’s team. Barbara loved the story so much that she made her father tell it every night before bedtime. As he did, it grew more elaborate. Because he couldn’t afford to buy his daughter a gift for Christmas, Bob decided to turn the story into a homemade picture book.

In early December, Bob’s wife died. Though he was heartbroken, he kept working on the book for his daughter. A few days before Christmas, he reluctantly attended a company party at Montgomery Ward. His co-workers encouraged him to share the story he’d written. After he read it, there was a standing ovation. Everyone wanted copies of their own. Montgomery Ward bought the rights to the book from their debt-ridden employee. Over the next six years, at Christmas, they gave away six million copies of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer to shoppers. Every major publishing house in the country was making offers to obtain the book. In an incredible display of good will, the head of the department store returned all rights to Bob May. Four years later, Rudolph had made him into a millionaire.

Now remarried with a growing family, May felt blessed by his good fortune. But there was more to come. His brother-in-law, a successful songwriter named Johnny Marks, set the uplifting story to music. The song was pitched to artists from Bing Crosby on down. They all passed. Finally, Marks approached Gene Autry. The cowboy star had scored a holiday hit with “Here Comes Santa Claus” a few years before. Like the others, Autry wasn’t impressed with the song about the misfit reindeer. Marks begged him to give it a second listen. Autry played it for his wife, Ina. She was so touched by the line “They wouldn’t let poor Rudolph play in any reindeer games” that she insisted her husband record the tune.

Within a few years, it had become the second best-selling Christmas song ever, right behind “White Christmas.” Since then, Rudolph has come to life in TV specials, cartoons, movies, toys, games, colouring books, greeting cards and even a Ringling Bros. circus act. The little red-nosed reindeer dreamed up by Bob May and immortalized in song by Johnny Marks has come to symbolize Christmas as much as Santa Claus, evergreen trees and presents. As the last line of the song says, “He’ll go down in history.”"

A wonderful article during the Christmas time, thanks CrispyChips smile

21 (edited by Bonky 2021-12-24 16:48:11)

ramses wrote:

> So to return to my original question, what do others think makes the best 'synergistic'
> partnering equipment (esp the amp)... and why?

That has nothing to do with each other. This / a DAC has no "personal preferences" for any amplifier. The sound is being reproduced transparently and in very good quality. You connect the DAC to the pre- or power amp (or active speakers) of your choice.

The design of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro with the 4 different reference levels and the feature auto reflevel offers you the greatest possible flexibility for this.

What kind of amplifier you take depends on many other factors and finally the price, but really not on the DAC, which reproduces everything transparently and has no "signature sound".

You should ask yourself
- are active monitors sufficient to me
- do I need perhaps another preamp or is the ADI-2 DAC/Pro sufficient to act as preamp
- if you want a separate preamp, do you want separate preamp and power amp or power amp as two mono blocks or maybe you want to have an intrgrated amp to save room and cost

Then this also depends on your listening habits and room acoustic in your home.
Maybe your partner has certain requirements in terms of sound, style, size etc.
Class A, AB or D or Tube amplifier ?
Some speaker designs might require a more powerful poweramp.

Well .. this is not so easy and wherever you will ask, everybody will tell you that his solution sounds good or the best .. you need to take care of that on your own.

Best to go into a shop, listen to some devices consider 3 or 4 that you like most and then try maybe 2 or 3 combinations at home in your room for the final selection.
This efforts you might have to pay, but its worth especially if you buy higher priced gear.

Hard to disagree with any of that. Thank you so much for such a detailed and thoughtful answer.

My DAC is paired with WD Valve amp (with a bit of 'tube rolling')and feeding very efficient LivingVoice speakers. To my ears it sounds sublime.

B

Mehhh...

Just another information-less subjective review wrapped in a air of sophistication that I have grown very weary of over the decades.  Had the RME's Weapons Cache of Functionalities been explored at ALL, the viewer may have actually been incentivized to investigate an RME purchase more closely.  No... my take away was simply that the reviewer dislikes SMPS, and is perhaps more concerned with Price-Point, Good for the Money, and all the rest of the very predictable Audiophile Review "code" words, that I've had more than enough of.

Here's an Authentic 1949 78rpm Record of Gene "The Singing Cowboy" Autry's rendition of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer  of which Crispy referred to above.

https://i.ibb.co/8cx9c9X/20211011-090103.jpg
free ebay picture hosting

This record (but not the same copy as Mom played)  is now a Holiday Decoration because I grew up with this, and can't bear to part with it. 

Happy Holidays All!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Well, you can't please all the people...

Let's all go back and listen to the music.

24 (edited by beat8000 2021-12-24 17:17:34)

When I bought my Adi-2 Pro I wanted a change from my Conrad & Johnson PV8 tube preamp and Cayin Dap-1 to a device which does less filtering of the subtle sound colors.
I have done the last comparison between the Adi-2 Pro and my Grace Design M902B in a mastering room of the Swiss RME distributor. To my opinion the Adi-2 Pro doesn't change the sound in any way if this device is inserted into the signal path.

Win10 Pro, ADI-2 Pro, Basis 1, Adam A3X; RL 906; Grace M902B, Glockenklang Bugatti, Strauss SE-NF-3

Curt962 wrote:

Mehhh...

Just another information-less subjective review wrapped in a air of sophistication that I have grown very weary of over the decades.  Had the RME's Weapons Cache of Functionalities been explored at ALL, the viewer may have actually been incentivized to investigate an RME purchase more closely.  No... my take away was simply that the reviewer dislikes SMPS, and is perhaps more concerned with Price-Point, Good for the Money, and all the rest of the very predictable Audiophile Review "code" words, that I've had more than enough of.

Here's an Authentic 1949 78rpm Record of Gene "The Singing Cowboy" Autry's rendition of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer  of which Crispy referred to above.

https://i.ibb.co/8cx9c9X/20211011-090103.jpg
free ebay picture hosting

This record (but not the same copy as Mom played)  is now a Holiday Decoration because I grew up with this, and can't bear to part with it. 

Happy Holidays All!

Curt

https://youtu.be/tMhyOvYzZM0

Thanks Johannes. smile

Obviously the video poster did NOT use Genuine Columbia Needles, else the Audio would have had Perfect Tone  big_smile

Curt

27 (edited by ramses 2021-12-25 13:12:51)

EDITED

Bonky wrote:

My only wish is that, as many others have stated, there was an easy set-up guide (an idiot's guide?) to be included with the extensive tome included with the DAC.

Just take a look at the manuals table of contents, then you will see in what chapters your questions will be covered:
- Chapter 5: most important things with regard to initial use and quick start
- Chapter 6: valuable information on the power supply unit and the bayonet lock
- Chapters 20ff: an overview of driver installation and firmware updates under Windows
- Chapters 24ff: same for Mac OS X

Then I would like to go a little further, because RME manuals are of high quality, which is rarely found these days...

The manual for the ADI-2 DAC FS is very detailed and complete. It contains all the information you need to set up and operate the device. The manuals even contain recommendations and explanations that go far beyond the usual and thus provide real added value.

At this point, a big thank you to Matthias Carstens for taking the effort to personally write the manuals in excellent quality and even offering them in two languages. Besides that all RME devices come with a printed manual, which is no longer a matter of course nowadays.

As you can see from the table of contents, the manual is very well organized

In the case of a device with such a range of functions that can be used in a wide variety of application scenarios and even then it still depends on which features someone would like to use in a specific situation, you can only proceed as follows and organize the manual as it was done here nicely:
- organize the manual as structured as possible and
- according to a top-down approach, so that the most important information is at the front and the individual functions are described below up to very technical information.

You want to achieve quick results?

Everything is also a bit of a question of methodology!

I can only recommend first looking at the table of contents, reading through the first introductory chapters and then simply leafing through the manual and quickly skimming the text here and there with the aim to get a first impression of whats inside. You can better search for something later from that you know that it exists and how it's called.

After that, information can also be found very easily using the PDF reader's search function.

Like with many things in life learning new things simply take some time!

Additional recommendations in terms of methodology:

1. Don't make it too complicated at first, start with a basic setup that can be easily accomplished
2. Make yourself familiar with the manual as I told you already
3. Extract the most important for quick setup and driver installation.
4. A firmware update might be interesting to get new features, but you can do it also some time later (IF necessary).
5. Best to save the initial setup into a config slot of your choice, so that you can come back at any time; you could take the last one, so that the 1st ones cover your usual use cases.
6. Refine the setup step by step to best adapt the DAC to your setup and needs over time
7. Always save the latest status or also relevant steps in between.

Again, as in any relationship, you get to know each other over time wink

Still desperate, even after reading the manual?

It can happen. You can e.g. ask in this forum, this is one of the purposes of such a forum.

You can also use google search to search only this forum, then you do not have the wait time of forum search:

Basic Syntax to search only this forum:
topic(s) site:forum.rme-audio.de

For a full list of options, pls see google search syntax cheat sheet, e.g. this one:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-goog … -tips-pdf/

ramses wrote:
Bonky wrote:

My only wish is that, as many others have stated, there was an easy set-up guide (an idiot's guide?) to be included with the extensive tome included with the DAC.

Just take a look at the manuals table of contents, then you will see in what chapters your questions will be covered:
- Chapter 5: most important things with regard to initial use and quick start
- Chapter 6: valuable information on the power supply unit and the bayonet lock
- Chapters 20ff: an overview of driver installation and firmware updates under Windows
- Chapters 24ff: same for Mac OS X

Then I would like to go a little further, because RME manuals are of high quality, which is rarely found these days...

The manual for the ADI-2 DAC FS is very detailed and complete. It contains all the information you need to set up and operate the device. The manuals even contain recommendations and explanations that go far beyond the usual and thus provide real added value.

Thanks for such a detailed answer. I'm half-way there -but that was when I first bought the DAC. I'll probably need to start afresh.

Just about to apply the firmware update so tomorow will be a good time to renew my aquaitance  with the manual.

Again, many thanks; much appreciated!

Richard/Bonky

At this point, a big thank you to Matthias Carstens for taking the effort to personally write the manuals in excellent quality and even offering them in two languages. Besides that all RME devices come with a printed manual, which is no longer a matter of course nowadays.

As you can see from the table of contents, the manual is very well organized

In the case of a device with such a range of functions that can be used in a wide variety of application scenarios and even then it still depends on which features someone would like to use in a specific situation, you can only proceed as follows and organize the manual as it was done here nicely:
- organize the manual as structured as possible and
- according to a top-down approach, so that the most important information is at the front and the individual functions are described below.

You want to achieve quick results?

Everything is also a bit of a question of methodology!

I can only recommend first looking at the table of contents, reading through the first introductory chapters and then simply leafing through the manual and quickly skimming the text here and there with the aim to get a first impression of whats inside. You can better search for something from that you know that it exists...

After that, information can also be found very easily using the PDF reader's search function.

Like with many things in life learning new things simply take some time!

Additional recommendations in terms of methodology:

1. Don't make it too complicated at first, start with a basic setup that can be easily accomplished
2. Make yourself familiar with the manual as I told you already
3. Extract the most important for quick setup and driver installation.
4. A firmware update might be interesting to get new features, but you can do it also some time later.
5. Best to save the initial setup into a config slot of your choice, so that you can come back at any time; you could take the last one, so that the 1st ones cover your usual use cases.
6. Refine the setup bit by bit to best adapt the DAC to your setup and needs over time
7. Always save the latest status or also relevant steps in between.

Again, as in any relationship, you get to know each other over time wink

Still desperate?

It can happen. You can ask in this forum, this is one of the purposes of such a forum.

Bonky wrote:

Better not use the word idiot for a guide, or the term RTFM, it is not good, instead Please and Thank You are always better.

For example, the 2V question for HiFi users appears every fortnight... the manual is very clear in this matter, but some user still puzzled, why? because each individual amp has different specification. For example the top model Yamaha intergrated amp can take max. 2.8V, safe right? but if someone plug XLR in and have 6dB hotter feed to it which "can" create some problem, the XLR input of that Yamaha amp has an attenuator built in, switch to -6dB fixed the issue... so reading the manual of all equipment is important.

And, Merry Christmas to you too smile

Thanks for such a detailed answer. I'm half-way there -but that was when I first bought the DAC. I'll probably need to start afresh.
Just about to apply the firmware update so tomorow will be a good time to renew my aquaitance  with the manual.
Again, many thanks; much appreciated!
Richard/Bonky

Johannes AU wrote:
Bonky wrote:

Better not use the word idiot for a guide, or the term RTFM, it is not good, instead Please and Thank You are always better.

For example, the 2V question for HiFi users appears every fortnight... the manual is very clear in this matter, but some user still puzzled, why? because each individual amp has different specification. For example the top model Yamaha intergrated amp can take max. 2.8V, safe right? but if someone plug XLR in and have 6dB hotter feed to it which "can" create some problem, the XLR input of that Yamaha amp has an attenuator built in, switch to -6dB fixed the issue... so reading the manual of all equipment is important.

And, Merry Christmas to you too smile

I was calling myself an idiot here...English self-deprecating humour!

There are so many 'Idiot' and 'Dummy' guides for sale...Google them to see. I wasn't being rude.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

Firmware - update went without a hitch; another advantage of the RME brand.

Keep safe; enjoy this time of the year.

R

Bonky wrote:

I was calling myself an idiot here...English self-deprecating humour!

There are so many 'Idiot' and 'Dummy' guides for sale...Google them to see. I wasn't being rude.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

Firmware - update went without a hitch; another advantage of the RME brand.

Keep safe; enjoy this time of the year.

R

Bonky, you are not rude, don't worry smile

Enjoy your RME dac with true sound and many functions the new FW provided.

A good review of ADI-2 xxx wold be one that points to the multitude of possibilities with the product. Even those acclaimed critics like Darko does quite shallow. Other reviewers put it up against shiit and denafrips. Maybe they can compare to sound quality, but ADI-2 series are more than just DACs. The guy in afforementioned video thought dim would dim the display  imho most of these are just lazy and just wants to take home cool gear for free

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Happy_amateur wrote:

A good review of ADI-2 xxx wold be one that points to the multitude of possibilities with the product. Even those acclaimed critics like Darko does quite shallow. Other reviewers put it up against shiit and denafrips. Maybe they can compare to sound quality, but ADI-2 series are more than just DACs. The guy in afforementioned video thought dim would dim the display  imho most of these are just lazy and just wants to take home cool gear for free

Oh no ... dim display .....

Happy_amateur wrote:

The guy in afforementioned video thought dim would dim the display

Where you mention it, this one I noticed as well and couldn't believe wink

37 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-25 20:32:50)

Believe it   big_smile

In hindsight, I am beginning to think that this review was an act of Editorial/Humanitarian Kindness!   How so?

Imagine if you will what might have happened had the RME's arsenal of functionalities, and diagnostic utilities been brazenly revealed to the viewer in the presence of those "other" developmentally challenged devices!  They have nothing of the sort.  So unfair!  wink

But? In Today's world.. we're all Winners so there'll be none of that! (Cough)

Well...One DAC had Spike feet!  I don't see that as much of a challenge to RME's Auto-Ref, etc but surely those Spike Feet would compliment the decor of any home/studio, that happens to be decorated as a Medieval Castle, so that counts for at least a Participation Award doesn't it?  wink

Lastly, I sure some viewers received a much needed Emotional Boost by simply seeing their device on the same Video screen as an RME. wink

Enough...

Back to the Music!

Curt