Topic: incoming bit and SR

Probably a dumb question . but can the ADI-2 show me the incoming rates ?
Lee

Re: incoming bit and SR

Maybe a little bit more detail what you mean ?
Surely not the ADI-2 which is a completely different product.
Why don't you look into the manual .. check for "state overview" display.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

To clarify, I'm using the DAC and was just wondering what it was receiving from different youtube clips ?
Lee

Lower right corner...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC, isn't the bottom right number the internal ''out going'' SR ? I'm setting this myself right !
Maybe what I'm asking isn't possible ? If the ADI-2 is up sampling everything and I'm manually setting the SR, maybe ''in design'' knowing the source stats was considered redundant ? Once again, sorry if this seems like a dumb question ! It started the other night when I was listening to the 2019 remastered ''Abbey road''. What I heard sounded like 16,44.1, but when I researched online it seemed the consensus is playback on YT is 320 kbps 44.1 ? If that's what I'm hearing this clock renders it as smooth as silk !
Lee

6 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-09 19:23:14)

Lee,

The SR you see in the Lower Right Corner of the Display is what IS.   The ADI-2 Dac does not upsample anything.  Upsampling is of little use in the Playback environment.  Quite likely what you hear is the result of the stellar RME "Steady-Clock" that effectively removes Jitter-related degradations from your playback.
Tip!

Don't fixate on SR.  Let others do that as it's largely meaningless in your listening room.  wink

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

On USB this number is anything - source and output. The ADI can not know what the 'source file' itself is - there is an app between the file and the ADI that handles that (in your case YouTube plus Windows System Audio).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Curt ! and I hear you vis a vis SR  ! I honestly can't hear the diff between 24, 176 and 16,44.1 I agree the clock is the best I have had to date ! ''The SR you see in the Lower Right Corner of the Display is what IS.   The ADI-2 Dac does not upsample anything. ''  but don't I dictate ''what is'' by selecting the SR in the ''MADIface series settings'' and that's only outgoing right ? and if I were to change it from 44.1 to 48 is that not ''up sampling'' ? is it only called that for bit depth ?
Lee

Thanks Matthias
Lee

10 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-10 00:57:12)

leejeffriess369 wrote:

Thanks Curt ! and I hear you vis a vis SR  ! I honestly can't hear the diff between 24, 176 and 16,44.1 I agree the clock is the best I have had to date ! ''The SR you see in the Lower Right Corner of the Display is what IS.   The ADI-2 Dac does not upsample anything. ''  but don't I dictate ''what is'' by selecting the SR in the ''MADIface series settings'' and that's only outgoing right ? and if I were to change it from 44.1 to 48 is that not ''up sampling'' ? is it only called that for bit depth ?
Lee

Lee,

In my driverless playback environment, the Source File dictates SR. Windows has no presence, nor effect as it is simply not involved in the Chain.  * Raspberry Pi Dude!   (Himbeeren Pi auf Deutsche) 

Curt

Gentlemen, please help me clarify what is happening when I change the sample rate ? is it analogous to turntable speeds ? LP's at 331/2 rpm , singles 45 etc ?        Do you only need to change SR to match the program's SR ? Sorry if these questions seem elementary or tedious ! I'm just trying understand what's happening ?  For example if I play a 24.96 file and the DAC is set at 44.1 is it now 24.44.1 ? and conversely a 24.44.1 file and the SR set for 96, is it now 24.96 ? and if it is ? is that not ''up sampling'' ?  As Curt said regarding the numbers in the lower right corner ''is what is''  if my file is 44.1 and the DAC says 96 what's happening ? MC, you said ''On USB this number is anything - source and output''. I'm sure you meant ''this number is everything'' ? are you saying ''source and output''  are now the same ! dictated by the number displayed, regardless of it's original value ?  BTW, I'm a 54 year old geezer who is new to this world ! I have been in the tube and discreet SS ''sand box'' so please bare with me.                                                                                                                                                              Lee

leejeffriess369 wrote:

Gentlemen, please help me clarify what is happening when I change the sample rate ? is it analogous to turntable speeds ? LP's at 331/2 rpm , singles 45 etc ?        Do you only need to change SR to match the program's SR ? Sorry if these questions seem elementary or tedious ! I'm just trying understand what's happening ?  For example if I play a 24.96 file and the DAC is set at 44.1 is it now 24.44.1 ? and conversely a 24.44.1 file and the SR set for 96, is it now 24.96 ? and if it is ? is that not ''up sampling'' ?  As Curt said regarding the numbers in the lower right corner ''is what is''  if my file is 44.1 and the DAC says 96 what's happening ? MC, you said ''On USB this number is anything - source and output''. I'm sure you meant ''this number is everything'' ? are you saying ''source and output''  are now the same ! dictated by the number displayed, regardless of it's original value ?  BTW, I'm a 54 year old geezer who is new to this world ! I have been in the tube and discreet SS ''sand box'' so please bare with me.                                                                                                                                                              Lee

What is your source equipment that feeds the signal to the DAC?

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Indeed,

Lee, a bit of insight regarding which ADI-2 (Dac/Pro) you are using, and your Player Sftwr would give the other, more informed voices regarding this matter some helpful information to work with.

Manually setting S/R is simply not in my wheelhouse, nor need it be, as my Player Sftwr manages this for me.  The displayed S/R on the DAC then mirrors that of the source file without the slightest involvement on my behalf.

A bit more info, and you'll be  soon on your way.

Best,

Curt

Mirrors is a perfect description.

The Dac shows the sampling rate of the source, if you change the sampling rate of the source by upsampling or downsampling it, it will shows the result rate.

Enjoy ~~

For example, if you play a song at MacOS, by core audio, the song is 16/44.1, if you change it to 24/96, the Dac will show 24/96, and vice versa ...

Windows 10 pc and I'm using Izotope RX8 as a player and I change SR in the MADIface window, it doesn't re set automatically !

I'm not using Izozope SW, but foobar. There i have to select the right output device. The behaviour you describe is the same i get when i chose <Default: Analog (1+2) (RME ADI-2 Pro)>. This is the worst possible choice.

What other choices you have depends on what driver you installed. I have:   

• <ASIO: ASIO MADIface USB>

• <Default: Analog (1+2) (RME ADI-2 Pro) [exclusive]>

• <WASAPI (event): Analog (1+2) (RME ADI-2 Pro)>

• <WASAPI (push): Analog (1+2) (RME ADI-2 Pro)>

With all these possibilities the sampling frequency is chosen automatically and correct to the information in foobar.
(I prefer <ASIO: ASIO MADIface USB>, because i can use RME DIGICheck then)

What possibilities shows your system? And which did you use?

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

Thanks for your inputs Ralf.

I think now maybe, a good question might be WHAT is Izotope (an Editing/Repair Plug-in) being used for, as it is surely not a commonly used Player software.

He did mentioned at post 3, he is using the DAC, not sure if it is the Adi-2 DAC fs or the Adi-2 Pro as a dac....

20 (edited by rawac 2022-01-11 18:37:01)

@Johannes
For playback in USB Mode from a Windows Software the sampling rate function of the output device should be the same for DAC and Pro, only the 3 letters in the dropdown should be <DAC> instead of <Pro> in my example and <ASIO: ASIO MADIface USB> should be equal.

@Curt
I looked on https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/rx.html before answering. Seems to be an audio editor with special filters for repair of music, sound and speech. These programs have usually a player function for controlling the result. Perhaps he need's this for the things he is listening or watching. Just for listening of files without editing it would be somehow overkill, but possible. I hope he didn't use a resample function in his software, he would never get the original sample rate of the file then.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

21 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-11 18:57:24)

Thanks again Ralf.

I've already stated Izotope's most common function, and that is typically NOT as Player Software.  More often Izotope is used as a means of "cleaning up" and archiving Vinyl records to digital storage.

Failing your earlier suggestions, perhaps using Izotope for it's intended purpose only, then using a Player Software with ASIO support for normal playback is a more workable solution for Lee.

My RME never presented such complications.  It simply does what my streaming device tells it.  I like that!  big_smile

Best to all!

Curt

22 (edited by rawac 2022-01-11 19:14:57)

Curt962 wrote:

Failing your earlier suggestions, perhaps using Izotope for it's intended purpose only, then using a Player Software with ASIO support for normal playback is a more workable solution for Lee. ...

100% agreed. At the moment we don't even know whether Izotope supports ASIO (or WASAPI).

Ralf

Get Jriver media player. It has ASIO support. Izotope is a plugin maker. Its not just playback. You need library tools too. Mr Lee has to read himself up on digital technology.
Samplerate and turntable rpm is quite an analogy, it sounds the same playing 44.1 @ 48 khz big_smile as if I didnt switch the ttable rpm switch. This happens sometimes if I dont remember to set correct master clock, switching between digital sources. My TV has 48khz. Never locked a 44.1 signal to 96 khz though. Not sure it would produce any sound at all.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

24 (edited by leejeffriess369 2022-01-12 04:56:22)

Gents, I have a ADI-2 DAC. I use the player in Izotope frankly because it seemed to sound better than the windows and VLC players, but admittedly that was back when I was getting ''my feet wet'' with a $200 DAC. With the RME I'm not sure I can tell them apart ? I mainly use it out of habit and it has useful tools for my recording projects and btw it identifies the file
's bit and SR.  I don't stream music ! I mainly play EAC ripped cd's and 16 and 24bit downloads. To be clear I don't have problem manually setting the SR ! I'm still trying to understand what the DAC is doing regarding SR ? if I play a file that is 176 and set the DAC to 44.1 I hear no difference ? is that normal ? has it  been down sampled ? Is SR audible with a ''serious'' clock ? rawac, yes I am using the <Default: Analog (1+2) (RME ADI-2 DAC)>.

leejeffriess369 wrote:

Gents, I have a ADI-2 DAC. I use the player in Izotope frankly because it seemed to sound better than the windows and VLC players, but admittedly that was back when I was getting ''my feet wet'' with a $200 DAC. With the RME I'm not sure I can tell them apart ? I mainly use it out of habit and it has useful tools for my recording projects and btw it identifies the file
's bit and SR.  I don't stream music ! I mainly play EAC ripped cd's and 16 and 24bit downloads. To be clear I don't have problem manually setting the SR ! I'm still trying to understand what the DAC is doing regarding SR ? if I play a file that is 176 and set the DAC to 44.1 I hear no difference ? is that normal ? has it  been down sampled ? Is SR audible with a ''serious'' clock ? rawac, yes I am using the <Default: Analog (1+2) (RME ADI-2 DAC)>.

So.. are you using an Adi-2 Pro FS? Please narrow it down so other members can assist you in a better way.

26 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-12 05:03:17)

leejeffriess369 wrote:

RME already has a very good clock, no another "serious" clock required, those "laundry" the source theory is BS ...

You hardly can hear the difference with upsampling or downsampling....

27 (edited by leejeffriess369 2022-01-12 05:36:19)

Thanks Johannes, yes it is FS !  I just played a 24 176 file using windows media player and the DAC stated 44.1
and I wasn't saying the RME doesn't have a ''serious clock'' I love it !

28 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-12 05:40:37)

Lee, first you have to understand what is bit depth and sampling rate, do not confuse it with vinyl speed.

Vinyl speed is the rpm (actually the distance the stylus travelled along the groove), there were 3 standards, when the vinyl produced in a particular speed, you need to playback at that speed, then you need a turntable running at same speed with precision, the term is call wow and flutter, same applies to tape decks (magnetic head travels along a fixed length of tape), at digital music, you need a clock to be precise, the term is call jitter.

Upsampling or downsampling is not exactly about speed, it is about sampling (as it named), but if the clock is not accurate, it mess up the playback, same as play back a 45rpm vinyl at 45+- rpm, concept is very similar, the difference is the music not playing faster or slower as vinyl/tape.

Downloaded piece of music can claim at a rate that can be not real, say if someone re-record a 16/44.1 original and upsampling it to 24/192, you can play it back at 24/192 or any rate, but it sounds the same as 16/44.1.....

Sync and lock: digital music need this, same as you run a car next to another one at whatever speed, if you want to stay constant with the next car, you need exactly the same speed. Imagine if you want to dock at the ISS, how precise control it need to be.

That said, both the music recording side and playback side need the same ruler, the ruler is the clock, RME has the SteadyClock FS, femtosecond precision. In layman term, you cannot recieve a radio signal if your tuner frequency is not correct, you hear noise.

I wish I can explain it right, if not, other members please kindly hop in and correct me.

leejeffriess369 wrote:

Thanks Johannes, yes it is FS !  I just played a 24 176 file using windows media player and the DAC stated 44.1
and I wasn't saying the RME doesn't have a ''serious clock'' I love it !

That could be your player is not output the signal as 24/176 to the RME, check your computer software/hardware settings first.

Thank you Johannes ! I appreciate your response ! and I understood it ! and believe me I wasn't being literal about the turntable analogy ! put another way , a single has to be played at 45 rpm , but does the SR on the DAC really have to correspond to the SR of the file ? It would seem not

leejeffriess369 wrote:

Thank you Johannes ! I appreciate your response ! and I understood it ! and believe me I wasn't being literal about the turntable analogy ! put another way , a single has to be played at 45 rpm , but does the SR on the DAC really have to correspond to the SR of the file ? It would seem not

Yes and No, you can play a file at another SR, sounds differences is hard to hear, of course play at same true SR is optimal.

You need to use a player that supports ASIO. Foobar, JRiver or something.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

When it is setup correctly you dont have to worry about samplerate because the software outputs the files native samplerate automatically. So you read the files SR in the state window of your device. If it doesnt windows or wmplayer downsamples to 44.1. (no use having Hires if it always come out at 44.1)
About SR and bit: Samplerate is the times pr second a music file is recorded at. In analog this prosess is continuous, causing a continous analog wave. In digital it is discreete samples. Bit is the resolution of that discreete sample. ie 96000/second 24bit/resolution. The DAC transform these samples to a continous analog wave. In theory, at first glance a higher SR and bit will produce a better record/playback environment. That may be true. What you dont want is the OS or mediaplayer to alter the SR.

You want bitperfect playback from your media player, all the way to your ADI-2 DAC. Get a software media player, I use JRiver, install ASIO drivers, and run the bittest *.wavs mentioned in the manual. The purpose is to handle the musicfile unaltered from A to Z. Read the manual a 100+ times. Wax on, wax off. practise makes master

34 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-12 09:56:07)

Happy_amateur wrote:

When it is setup correctly you dont have to worry about samplerate because the software outputs the files native samplerate automatically. So you read the files SR in the state window of your device. If it doesnt windows or wmplayer downsamples to 44.1. (no use having Hires if it always come out at 44.1)
About SR and bit: Samplerate is the times pr second a music file is recorded at. In analog this prosess is continuous, causing a continous analog wave. In digital it is discreete samples. Bit is the resolution of that discreete sample. ie 96000/second 24bit/resolution. The DAC transform these samples to a continous analog wave. In theory, at first glance a higher SR and bit will produce a better record/playback environment. That may be true. What you dont want is the OS or mediaplayer to alter the SR.

You want bitperfect playback from your media player, all the way to your ADI-2 DAC. Get a software media player, I use JRiver, install ASIO drivers, and run the bittest *.wavs mentioned in the manual. The purpose is to handle the musicfile unaltered from A to Z. Read the manual a 100+ times. Wax on, wax off. practise makes master

Altogether, different versions of manual, updates, new functions, I read the manual more than 100 times, still learning .... smile
And, at this forum, always got something new, I mean new knowledge, which is nice !

35 (edited by rawac 2022-01-12 14:02:48)

leejeffriess369 wrote:

... put another way , a single has to be played at 45 rpm , but does the SR on the DAC really have to correspond to the SR of the file ?...

I try to explain in simple words.

There is a chain of things happening when you listen to the 176 kHz 24 bit file you mentioned with the windows media player.

1) The media player reads the file
2) He streams the data to the Windows kernel mixer
3) The Windows kernel mixer recalculates the data of the stream according to the settings of the mixer and the driver of the output device.
4) The Windows kernel mixer streams the data to the output device RME ADI-2 DAC
5) The DAC transforms the digital stream to an analog signal.

The good thing is: No matter what the output device can do, if the Windows kernel mixer can convert the format then you can listen to it.
The bad thing is: The recalculation is not always made good. Speed will be correct, but some informatiom may get lost.
My first sound card was 8bit 48 kHz. Even this worked. Today things have changed, most time now the format of the file is the limit, not the output device.

Therefore a lot of people where looking for a solution to bypass the Windows kernel mixer.
The solution from Steinberger is called ASIO: Audio Stream Input/Output.
The bad thing is: Both, the player software and the output device software have to support ASIO.
RME MADIFace supports ASIO for RME ADI-2 DAC and PRO.

2) He streams the data to the ASIO driver
3) The ASIO driver streams the data in the original sample frequency and bit depth. The field Sample Rate in the MADIFace settings is grey, nothing selectable and changes automatically to the frequency of the file.
5) The DAC transforms the digital stream to an analog signal. The RME ADI-2 DAC or PRO will use and show the original sample frequency and bit depth.

Windows Media Player does not support ASIO out of the box. You have to install an ASIO plug in. https://sourceforge.net/projects/asiowmpplg/ . I never did, because i prefer foobar 2000.

I don't know, whether Izotope 8 or 9 supports ASIO or whether there is an plug in for ASIO aviable.
The search at Izotope webside found: http://downloads.izotope.com/docs/rx6/1 … index.html
Do you have this menu? Can you select <ASIO MADIface USB>?

A long time later Microsoft decided to develop an own bypass. It is called WASAPI: Windows Audio Session Application Programming Interface.
The bad thing is again: Both, the player software and the output device software have to support WASAPI.
RME ADI-2 DAC and PRO support WASAPI, IMHO even without installing MADIFace.
But Windows media player does NOT support WASAPI, not even a plug in is available, stupid, but this is Microsoft.
(e.g. Foobar 2000 supports WASAPI without plug in since version 1.6.7)

I don't know, whether Izotope 8 or 9 supports WASAPI or whether there is an plug in for WASAPI aviable. The search at Izotope webside https://www.izotope.com/en/search.html?q=wasapi does not find anything.

• Windows kernel mixer: the output device software decides sample frequency and bit depth.

• ASIO: the media player software decides sample frequency and bit depth.

• WASAPI: the media player software decides sample frequency and bit depth.

I know, this explanation is not bit perfect, but i hope it may help to understand how playback is working.
The problem is not located in the RME ADI-2, it is the Windows kernel mixer.

Ralf

rawac wrote:
leejeffriess369 wrote:

... put another way , a single has to be played at 45 rpm , but does the SR on the DAC really have to correspond to the SR of the file ?...

I try to explain in simple words.

There is a chain of things happening when you listen to the 176 kHz 24 bit file you mentioned with the windows media player.

2) He streams the data to the Windows kernel mixer
3) The Windows kernel mixer recalculates the data of the stream according to the settings of the sound system and the driver of the output device.
4) The Windows kernel mixer streams the data to the output device RME ADI-2 DAC
5) The DAC transforms the digital stream to an analog signal.

The good thing is: No matter what the output device can do, if the Windows kernel mixer can convert the format then you can listen to it.
The bad thing is: The recalculation is not always made good. Speed will be correct, but some informatiom may get lost.
My first sound card was 8bit 48 kHz. Even this worked. Today things have changed, Most time now the format of the file is the limit, not the output device.

Therefore a lot of people where looking for a solution to bypass the Windows kernel mixer.
The solution from Steinberger is called ASIO: Audio Stream Input/Output.
The bad thing is: Both, the player software and the output device software have to support ASIO.
RME MADIFace supports ASIO for RME ADI-2 DAC and PRO.

2) He streams the data to the ASIO driver
3) The ASIO driver streams the data in the original sample frequency and bit depth. The field Sample Rate in the MADIFace settings is grey, nothing selectable and changes automatically to the frequency of the file.
5) The DAC transforms the digital stream to an analog signal. The RME ADI-2 DAC or PRO will use and show the original sample frequency and bit depth.

Windows Media Player does not support ASIO out of the box. You have to install an ASIO plug in. https://sourceforge.net/projects/asiowmpplg/ . I never did, because i prefer foobar 2000.

I don't know, whether Izotope 8 or 9 supports ASIO or whether there is an plug in for ASIO aviable.
The search at Izotope webside found: http://downloads.izotope.com/docs/rx6/1 … index.html
Do you have this menu? Can you select <ASIO MADIface USB>?

A long time later Microsoft decided to develop an own bypass. It is called WASAPI: Windows Audio Session API.
The bad thing is again: Both, the player software and the output device software have to support WASAPI.
RME ADI-2 DAC and PRO support WASAPI, IMHO even without installing MADIFace.
But Windows media player does NOT support WASAPI, not even a plug in is available, stupid, but this is Microsoft.
(e.g. Foobar 2000 supports WASAPI without plug in since version 1.6.7)

I don't know, whether Izotope 8 or 9 supports WASAPI or whether there is an plug in for WASAPI aviable. The search at Izotope webside https://www.izotope.com/en/search.html?q=wasapi does not find anything.

• Windows kernel mixer: the output device software decides sample frequency and bit depth.

• ASIO: the media player software decides sample frequency and bit depth.

• WASAPI: the media player software decides sample frequency and bit depth.

I know, this explanation is not bit perfect, but i hope it may help to understand how playback is working.
The problem is not located in the RME ADI-2, it is the Windows kernel mixer.

Ralf, though my old PC is standing for years collecting dust, this information is still valueable even I am a MacOS user now !!

Thanks to all who have responded, this is much clearer now ! rawac thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I had the izotope set at MME in the preferences ! I changed it to ASIO and it now shows me the corresponding SR on the DAC ! Does anyone know if VLC works with ASIO ?                                                                                                                                                         Lee

VLC has no ASIO support.

39 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-13 20:56:12)

Lee,

I'll concur with @Happy in that VLC offers no ASIO support.   I spent time, and Smartphone Battery only to learn that many users are leaving VLC owing to such shortcomings. (Not to mention sorting thru users entire equipment line up, Cables, Speaker Spikes, Wall Paper, etc) sad

*These details need to be highlighted of course in order to be perceived as a REAL Audiophile.  wink

There are other Low Cost or Free Applications that might be your answer.  (Music Bee, Foobar, etc) It will all depend on your use case.   

In my World?  I KNOW what works!   smile

We surely want you to Win, but the group here can't often fix the built-in  limitations of a users playback software.

Curt

Thanks Curt, yes I ditched the VLC , I may try that windows ASIO plug in that ''Ralf'' suggested, but per his guidance I selected ASIO as driver in my Izotope player and now the DAC reflects the true SR numbers and ''could it be that it sounds even better now'' ?
Lee

41 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-14 12:57:27)

Lee,

Excellent!!   Now let's verify your handiwork by running the RME Bit-Test utility.   This is a powerful tool to test that your data is being transmitted unaltered from the storage device all the way to the DAC.   

*Download the Bit Test Files from the RME Downloads Page.   

*Ensure Music Player application's Volume is set to 100%

*Run the test using any/all of the Bit-Test files.

*A succesful test will display a White (ish) Dialog Box on your RME: "BIT TEST PASS"    Very Cool!

See Pg.67 (Section 31.14) of your User Manual for a complete description.

Enjoy!! 

Curt

Note the "bit test pass" dialog box can appears very fast, can be within half second, do not miss it, otherwise, play the bit test again smile

43 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-14 15:55:38)

Johannes AU wrote:

Note the "bit test pass" dialog box can appears very fast, can be within half second, do not miss it, otherwise, play the bit test again smile

The Dialog Box only apppears briefly, but it should not go un-noticed if one is actually doing the bit test.   We should be paying attention.  Let's not open a Can of Worms here Jo...  wink

I can see it now... Panicked requests for "User Configurable Message Time Out periods, Color Choices, etc."

Curt

44 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-14 16:10:12)

Curt962 wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

Let's not open a Can of Worms here Jo...  wink

I can see it now... Panicked requests for "User Configurable Message Time Out periods, Color Choices, etc."

Curt

Request overruled .... period. tongue
(because bit test pass appears fast, but stay on the screen long enough, its staying time is same as the duration as the test tone playing time)

Johannes AU wrote:
Curt962 wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

Let's not open a Can of Worms here Jo...  wink

Curt

Request overruled .... period. tongue
(because bit test pass appears fast, but stay on the screen long enough, its staying time is same as the duration as the test tone playing time)

The test should be repeated several times anyway.
Only if it passes every time you can confirm your playback path is clean.

You guys sound like looking for a problem while everyone else use the solution - track repeat...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

big_smile Ditty Wah Ditty

48 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-15 05:22:15)

Curt962 wrote:

Lee,

Excellent!!   Now let's verify your handiwork by running the RME Bit-Test utility.   This is a powerful tool to test that your data is being transmitted unaltered from the storage device all the way to the DAC.   

*Download the Bit Test Files from the RME Downloads Page.   

*Ensure Music Player application's Volume is set to 100%

*Run the test using any/all of the Bit-Test files.

*A succesful test will display a White (ish) Dialog Box on your RME: "BIT TEST PASS"    Very Cool!

See Pg.67 (Section 31.14) of your User Manual for a complete description.

Enjoy!! 

Curt

Naughty me again ..... the box color look like cheese color, say "cheese" smile Smile and Enjoy!

Curt, do you have a link ? the one from the manual is dead ?    https://www.rme-audio.de/download/bit  test  wavs.zip

50 (edited by ramses 2022-01-15 08:37:56)

leejeffriess369 wrote:

Curt, do you have a link ? the one from the manual is dead ?    https://www.rme-audio.de/download/bit  test  wavs.zip

Product page under Bittest:

http://www.rme-audio.de/download/bit_test_wavs.zip

BTW .. the link in the manual v 2.9, p. 67, works. Where exactly did you look pls ? Filename of the PDF and page number ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13