1 (edited by eleweit 2022-01-20 13:20:03)

Topic: Some improvement/feature requests gathered

Some requests I've seen in the past months, and some added, in one list for convenience/visibility smile
Mostly minor things which woulde make the user experience even better.
And I hope I'm not asking for things which are possible already tongue

1. as mentioned in https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34501: clickable page links in the pdf manual's table of contents, and optionally also when referring to other sections

2. minor, but could fix some grammar errors in the English manual: in English it's adjective (or other modifier) then noun so one uses 'Menu Structure Overview' not 'Overview Menu Structure' and 'ADI-2 User's Guide' not 'User's Guide ADI-2' and so on. Don't know if there are other occurrences, but these are the most eye-catching.

3. as mentioned in https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33773: a preamp gain parameter which gets saved together with EQ, meant for matching the final level of different EQ presets. (alternative: a way to change the gain of all filters + B/T at once. E.g. after having pressed the Volume button to scroll through all EQ filters to modify them, an extra state which changes their gain)

4. (*)as mentioned in https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 12#p180912: an option for turning off and/or dimming the button's lights. Other related request is no red light in the power button. (*) dimming is not supported by the hardware, switching on/off should be possible ref. AutoDark as well

5. (**)logical next step after making B/T part of the EQ presets in previous firmware and displaying them in the bode plot (really great btw): complete this and add the B/T parameters as extra bands in the main EQ screen such that instead of 5 bands, the 7 bands parameters are all there and B1 becomes the bass low shelf parameters and B7 the Treble high shelf ones. Avoids having to go back and forth between the EQ and B/T menus. (**) implemented in last update

6. don't redraw the display when nothing changed. Now when reaching the end of a list in the menu and clicking/rotating further, the screen gets redrawn on each input, resulting in just flicker. This is a bit visually jarring but mostly confusing because the flicker typically serves as visual cue that something changed, but nothing actually did change.

7. option to enable loop around for all lists in the menu so that when the end of a list is reached it automatically goes to the beginning again with the next command. Makes the previous request pretty much obsolete. Faster to work with, and also more consistent because horizontally traversing the menu with encoder 2 already works like that (e.g. scroll through Clock/Phones/... in the Options), but others don't (main menu i.e. rotating encoder 1 for Options/Setups doesn't, but scrolling through I/O menu does loop around, and the vertical menus operated by pushing encoder 1/2 also don't whereas these have the most items so would be the best candidate for looping)

8. customizable crossfeed somewhat like the "Phonitor Matrix": customizable interaural time difference, level difference, amount of center, etc.

9. bigger values than 1.00 for "I/O Settings - Width"

10. volume display in dBu(@0dbFS) because the device knows which output is active

Re: Some improvement/feature requests gathered

Good to have all in one list.

Maybe you could mark those already answered as undoable by MC, Matthias Carsten, like the changes to the power button.

The B/T PEQ integration is announced for the next FW update.

3 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-12 10:12:03)

It takes me 20 minutes to guess, UX could means user experience....

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

4 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-12 10:15:23)

eleweit wrote:

Some requests I've seen in the past months, and some added, in one list for convenience/visibility smile
Mostly minor things which woulde make the UX even better.
And I hope I'm not asking for things which are possible already tongue

• as mentioned in https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34501: clickable page links in the pdf manual's table of contents, and optionally also when referring to other sections

• minor, but could fix some grammar errors in the English manual: in English it's adjective (or other modifier) then noun so one uses 'Menu Structure Overview' not 'Overview Menu Structure' and 'ADI-2 User's Guide' not 'User's Guide ADI-2' and so on. Don't know if there are other occurrences, but these are the most eye-catching.

• as mentioned in https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33773: a preamp gain parameter which gets saved together with EQ, meant for matching the final level of different EQ presets. (alternative: a way to change the gain of all filters + B/T at once. E.g. after having pressed the Volume button to scroll through all EQ filters to modify them, an extra state which changes their gain)

• as mentioned in https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 12#p180912: an option for turning off and/or dimming the button's lights. Other related request is no red light in the power button.

• logical next step after making B/T part of the EQ presets in previous firmware and displaying them in the bode plot (really great btw): complete this and add the B/T parameters as extra bands in the main EQ screen such that instead of 5 bands, the 7 bands parameters are all there and B1 becomes the bass low shelf parameters and B7 the Treble high shelf ones. Avoids having to go back and forth between the EQ and B/T/ menus.

• don't redraw the display when nothing changed. Now when reaching the end of a list in the menu and clicking/rotating further, the screen gets redrawn on each input, resulting in just flicker. This is a bit visually jarring but mostly confusing because the flicker typically serves as visual cue that something changed, but nothing actually did change.

• option to enable loop around for all lists in the menu so that when the end of a list is reached it automatically goes to the beginning again with the next command. Makes the previous request pretty much obsolete. Faster to work with, and also more consistent because horizontally traversing the menu with encoder 2 already works like that (e.g. scroll through Clock/Phones/... in the Options), but others don't (main menu i.e. rotating encoder 1 for Options/Setups doesn't, but scrolling through I/O menu does loop around, and the vertical menus operated by pushing encoder 1/2 also don't whereas these have the most items so would be the best candidate for looping)

I suggest you put a paragraph number on each request instead of a dot, so that members can discuss it much easier by quoting it.

KaiS wrote:

Maybe you could mark those already answered as undoable by MC, Matthias Carsten, like the changes to the power button.

Ok done.

Johannes AU wrote:

Right, fixed.

Johannes AU wrote:

I suggest you put a paragraph number

Good point.

eleweit wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Ok done.

Johannes AU wrote:

Right, fixed.

Johannes AU wrote:

I suggest you put a paragraph number

Good point.

Thank you my friend smile

Only convenience/visibility requests?

Here's what I'm asking for:

1. customizable crossfeed somewhat like the "Phonitor Matrix": customizable interaural time difference, level difference, amount of center, etc.

2. bigger values than 1.00 for "I/O Settings - Width"

3. Volume display in dBu(@0dbFS) because the device knows which output is active

> Some requests I've seen in the past months, and some added, in one list for convenience/visibility smile

also digital output for 3/4: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34384

> clickable page links in the pdf manual's table of contents, and optionally also when referring to other sections

RME moved to Prawn recently and result is very good --- check their 12 mic manual.
I dont know if they plan to reorg adi-2 manual this way. probably not

> customizable crossfeed somewhat like the "Phonitor Matrix": customizable interaural time difference, level difference, amount of center, etc.

only cutoff frequency and crossfeed amount in db can be customized and imho the 5 levels are enough as they cover all the common cases.

ning wrote:

> clickable page links in the pdf manual's table of contents, and optionally also when referring to other sections

RME moved to Prawn recently and result is very good --- check their 12 mic manual.

Sorry, but hopefully not, I am used to the old manual format as it is wink

Seriously, clickable page would be the last feature that I would regard as needed. For me this is more a matter of using the proper tool and a certain methodology.

I am using Acrobat Reader in "two page view". Gear: old monitor was 23" Full HD, now 24" monitor with 16:10, 1920x1200, which gives you more vertical space, nothing fancy, simply good for reading PDF documents in "two page" mode.

After some time you know already whats where because all manuals follow a certain structure and order.

Very useful is the search function and to narrow it down in some cases by selecting search options like
- whole word
- upper/lower case sensitive search.

Extremely useful is the useage of mouse wheel in two page mode, it brings you very fast to the proper chapter or when looking for chapter / page numbers from the index.

Also helpful is to parametrize Acrobat Reader to remember the last position in a file. I look very often into the technical section, for most of the manuals that I open I am already there.

Another nice feature is to use tools like WinWget to update all PDFs in one sweep. You simply have to parametrize it once and to enter the URLs of manuals into one text file. Afterwards you simply update from time to time.

Whatever you do, please do not touch the extremely nice manual format that we have.

And web page formats I hate for a reason, you always have to scroll up/down which slows you down.
Two page mode with the proper tool and turning the mouse wheel is so much faster.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
ning wrote:

Sorry, but hopefully not, I am used to the old manual format as it is wink

Seriously, clickable page would be the last feature that I would regard as needed. For me this is more a matter of using the proper tool and a certain methodology.

I am using Acrobat Reader in "two page view". Gear: old monitor was 23" Full HD, now 24" monitor with 16:10, 1920x1200, which gives you more vertical space, nothing fancy, simply good for reading PDF documents in "two page" mode.

After some time you know already whats where because all manuals follow a certain structure and order.

Very useful is the search function and to narrow it down in some cases by selecting search options like
- whole word
- upper/lower case sensitive search.

Extremely useful is the useage of mouse wheel in two page mode, it brings you very fast to the proper chapter or when looking for chapter / page numbers from the index.

Also helpful is to parametrize Acrobat Reader to remember the last position in a file. I look very often into the technical section, for most of the manuals that I open I am already there.

Another nice feature is to use tools like WinWget to update all PDFs in one sweep. You simply have to parametrize it once and to enter the URLs of manuals into one text file. Afterwards you simply update from time to time.

Whatever you do, please do not touch the extremely nice manual format that we have.

And web page formats I hate for a reason, you always have to scroll up/down which slows you down.
Two page mode with the proper tool and turning the mouse wheel is so much faster.

2nd for 2 pages mode.... just like we read the real printed manual.

11 (edited by eleweit 2022-01-15 09:20:37)

IdleTalk wrote:

I'll add yours to the list; what practical use do you have for dBu ?

ramses wrote:

It's amazing to see how much dialog such a simple request brings forth (and no this is not about changing the manual format, but merely clickable links). I'll try to explain why it would be a good addition. For starters, perhaps people are missing the point because they've been reading this particular manual for years? Sure if I've gone through a manual 100  times I care less. I'm a bg fan of using the correct tool for the job, use pdf readers just like you do (but not Acrobat; quit using that decades ago for faster alternatives, though I admit I don't know what it's current state is: still rather bloated and slow?), I have a powershell script for fetching fetch the last pdf version and so on. Yet I also made this request, mostly for the benefit of new users and also because it's 2022 and pdfs with clickable links should be the standard.

All the points you mention are valid, but not when it's the first couple of times one uses the manual. Search: only works really well if you know exactly what to search for. Won't help you if you want to find information about the output levels for instance: searching for 'output' is useless, 'level' as well, 'analog output' as well, all too many matches. Also doesn't help if you don't know the terminology used yet. Instead a brief glance over the TOC shows the 'Analog Outputs' section with a page number next to it. Yes, spot on. Scrollig: sure, works, but it's a poor replacement for being able to click something to go there directlry.

12 (edited by ramses 2022-01-15 09:53:57)

eleweit wrote:
IdleTalk wrote:

ramses wrote:

It's amazing to see how much dialog such a simple request brings forth (and no this is not about changing the manual format, but merely clickable links). I'll try to explain why it would be a good addition. For starters, perhaps people are missing the point because they've been reading this particular manual for years? Sure if I've gone through a manual 100  times I care less. I'm a bg fan of using the correct tool for the job, use pdf readers just like you do (but not Acrobat; quit using that decades ago for faster alternatives, though I admit I don't know what it's current state is: still rather bloated and slow?), I have a powershell script for fetching fetch the last pdf version and so on. Yet I also made this request, mostly for the benefit of new users and also because it's 2022 and pdfs with clickable links should be the standard.

All the points you mention are valid, but not when it's the first couple of times one uses the manual. Search: only works really well if you know exactly what to search for. Won't help you if you want to find information about the output levels for instance: searching for 'output' is useless, 'level' as well, 'analog output' as well, all too many matches. Also doesn't help if you don't know the terminology used yet. Instead a brief glance over the TOC shows the 'Analog Outputs' section with a page number next to it. Yes, spot on. Scrollig: sure, works, but it's a poor replacement for being able to click something to go there directlry.

Whatever you or somebody else wishes for, you should always bear in mind that someone has to implement it, and not just for one manual, but for all manuals. And there are much more important things to do where some people are waiting for.

Since the new manuals have been mentioned .. it could "backfire" and everything could be brought into the new format. But I don't see any advantages for the user. It has more disadvantages. The dynamic creation of PDF content makes it only harder to get the PDF with some kind of automated download.

These are two points which affect me as customer as well, for this reason I involved. And honestly I am the opinion, that the manuals are just great as they are, so I do not see a good justification for such an effort.

The example with which you seem to want to refute me is simply not valid. If you get a new device and are not familiar with it, then at best you look once in the index to find that everything important can be found in the first chapters. And then you simply read those or cross-read the things which are not so much of interest.
No one goes back to the index any more as you simply continue reading until the most important points at the beginning are read and understood.

As the manuals are not that thick the next important step is to browse through the manual to get a impression, what you can find there. Its better to cross-read quickly through the manual as it also contains pictures and pictures tell sometimes more than thousand words .. After that you know already quite a lot maybe also from reading the product page on web.
To be very honest, I personally do not use the index very often and if I only look at the page number and am quickly there as I described. This request does only one thing, generate a lot of work of questionable usefulness.

As you might know, I do a lot of support here in the forum out of personal interest. So there were initially many products which are unknown to me. But I never used the index. After browing through the manual the 1st time the concept is clear .. top down approach and most important things 1st.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I prefer to print the updated pages in A5 and put into the existing real book manual .......

14 (edited by ramses 2022-01-15 09:57:44)

Johannes AU wrote:

I prefer to print the updated pages in A5 and put into the existing real book manual .......

Disagree, A5 is not a nice printed format, it tends to have too small fonts which are only uneasy to read.
You should get a printed manual of the UFX+ and then compare with a manual in DIN A5.
Then you know what I mean.

15 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-15 10:20:39)

ramses wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

Disagree, A5 is not a nice printed format, it tends to have too small fonts which are only uneasy to read.
You should get a printed manual of the UFX+ and then compare with a manual in DIN A5.

Is the existing manual comes with the unit  DIN A5? What I mean is print the updated pages same size as the real one and insert into it ....

P.S. just measured the DAC manual, it is A5. Yes, the fonts is small.

Johannes AU wrote:
ramses wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

Is the existing manual comes with the unit  DIN A5? What I mean is print the updated pages same size as the real one and insert into it ....

P.S. just measured the DAC manual, it is A5. Yes, the fonts is small.

I know it's A5 most likely to keep the package small, but this makes the manual useless for me and so many things change with the product that its better anyway to get the last version of it from webserver.

Reminds me with manuals for training. I got many technical trainings and then some companies changed training material to DIN A5, same story, too hard to read and leaves too few room to make some notes. Even worse, paranoia became so big that you do not get printed training material anymore. And this is a really bad thing. Digitization like you wouldn't want it to be.

eleweit wrote:

11. volume display in dBu(@0dbFS) because the device knows which output is active

dBu is a Voltage, Volume Control is a Gain.
So showing the Volume Control’s setting in dBu would be technically incorrect.

The resulting max. output voltage always depends on all internal DSP and other settings AND the input signal, which might not necessarily be 0 dBFS.

You already can view the output’s dBu level in the meter using the option:
Hor. Meter: “Post FX dBu”. (DAC manual page 28)
This is precise and easily done, just by playing music.

ramses wrote:

Whatever you or somebody else wishes for, you should always bear in mind that someone has to implement it, and not just for one manual, but for all manuals. And there are much more important things to do where some people are waiting for.

All true, but that doesn't mean requests cannot be made.

ramses wrote:

Since the new manuals have been mentioned .. it could "backfire" and everything could be brought into the new format. But I don't see any advantages for the user. It has more disadvantages.

Sure, but as mentioned already I'm not talking about a new format.

ramses wrote:

The dynamic creation of PDF content makes it only harder to get the PDF with some kind of automated download.

Hmm, how so? The pdf is stored on a server with a certain path. Whatever automated code or person uploads the manual now to the website obviously does so by always putting it in the same path so we can access it from there. I'm not sure why the way the PDF gets created interferes with that. It just has to end up in the same location.

ramses wrote:

And honestly I am the opinion, that the manuals are just great as they are, so I do not see a good justification for such an effort.

The example with which you seem to want to refute me is simply not valid. If you get a new device and are not familiar with it, then at best you look once in the index to find that everything important can be found in the first chapters. And then you simply read those or cross-read the things which are not so much of interest.
No one goes back to the index any more as you simply continue reading until the most important points at the beginning are read and understood.

As the manuals are not that thick the next important step is to browse through the manual to get a impression, what you can find there. Its better to cross-read quickly through the manual as it also contains pictures and pictures tell sometimes more than thousand words .. After that you know already quite a lot maybe also from reading the product page on web.
To be very honest, I personally do not use the index very often and if I only look at the page number and am quickly there as I described.

So there were initially many products which are unknown to me. But I never used the index. After browing through the manual the 1st time the concept is clear .. top down approach and most important things 1st.

This essentially summarizes as "my workflow works best for me, and I think everybody else does or should also use that workflow". I'm not sure why you think everyone does things the same way as you do, that is not very realistic. For instance I also think my way of studying papers (just to name something) is very good. But at least I realize that's just for me, I don't think everyone else should do the same. In fact I know other people who do it differently, and their way doesn't work for me.

ramses wrote:

This request does only one thing, generate a lot of work of questionable usefulness.

Same thing, I already tried to explain that it's not so that because you don't recognize the usefullness, that it's nonexisting. Wheteher it's a lot of work is questionable. Could be, or not. There are automatic table of content generators which generate clickable links from existing pdfs.

Sorry I am running out of time, I made my points.

20 (edited by ning 2022-01-15 14:32:46)

From a typography point of view, the new 12Mic manuals made by Prawn are certainly better than the old ADI-2 one made by Microsoft word.

Two years ago when I read the ADI-2's manual for the first time, I immediately appreciated its contents, but noticed its typography is poor --- Fonts are ugly, line justification is suboptimal, a too long line width makes text hard to read, typographic styles are inconsistent. Not to say advanced typographic features that enlightens the reading experience are completely missing, such as hanging punctuation and micro-type.

Moving to Prawn will certainly improve that a lot. for RME maybe it's not worthwhile to redo existing docs but I certainly believe it will make the entire product lines more professional.

You can probably achieve things like cross reference, hypertext, indexing, better hyphenation, better line justification, open type support, grid system,   version control... (the list goes on) with Microsoft Word,  but it requires significantly more work, compared to programs such as Prawn, TeX. The latter are much more suitable for this type of job. Producing PDF and HTML version of docs in multi-languages is also challenging with Word.  Today with people using various sizes of displays (phones, iPads, desktops), web version is becoming more and more important.

21 (edited by IdleTalk 2022-01-17 01:06:47)

eleweit wrote:

I may not have to calculate back each output level from ref.level & volume(gain) when I feed it to another device, especially an analog preamp.

For example, I can just set volume@+6dBu if my preamp receives 6dBu, rather than "ref.level@+7dbu & volume@-1dB" or "auto ref.level ON & volume@-7dBr".
Whether auto ref. level is ON or OFF, +6dBu output setting is displayed as +6dBu in volume display.

KaiS wrote:

So showing the Volume Control’s setting in dBu would be technically incorrect.

The resulting max. output voltage always depends on all internal DSP and other settings AND the input signal, which might not necessarily be 0 dBFS.

You already can view the output’s dBu level in the meter using the option:
Hor. Meter: “Post FX dBu”. (DAC manual page 28)
This is precise and easily done, just by playing music.

I hope my technical "fallacy" could be indulged since I attached a specific condition: "@0dBFS"

What you said is absolutely true, especially if you are using ADI-2PRO as an analog preamp.
However if you are using it as a dac or have a ADI-2DAC, the sentence "Volume Control is a Gain" becomes irrelevant, because a dac is not a gain change device but purely a voltage signal output device. There is really nothing to say about "gain" between digital input and analog output.

I think various ref.levels should only matter in internal settings, not to UI & UX.
Regardless of different ref.levels, there should be a consistent way to show "volume" values.
"dBr" with "auto ref.level ON" is a nice approach.
I suggest "active ref.level(dBu) + gain(dB)" might be another very rational & convenient way to display volume.

22 (edited by KaiS 2022-01-17 12:42:35)

IdleTalk wrote:
KaiS wrote:

... if you are using it as a dac or have a ADI-2DAC, the sentence "Volume Control is a Gain" becomes irrelevant, because a dac is not a gain change device but purely a voltage signal output device. There is really nothing to say about "gain" between digital input and analog output.

This could be true if DSP and SRC with it’s gain settings wouldn’t exist in ADI-2.

I see your point, the Volume Control would be used as fine-tuning for reference level.
Auto Reference Level does that, the -dBr subtracts from each device’s maximum nominal output, even taking the DSP into account.

To fulfill your request the following points need to be considered:

• There are different output levels, RCA, and XLR 6 dB hotter on the DAC; equal level at the Pro, but only up to +19 dBu where RCA hits it‘s limit (XLR reaches +24 dBu).
• The levels of headphones’ ouputs, balanced headphones, and impedance corrected headphones output with it’s moving target (see Pro manual page 91)

Still some brainwork needed for a certain dBu value.

Meanwhile:
In fact the new meter option “dBu” does what you want, based on the calculation that you want, showing the real existing dBu level that is feed into a connected device or headphones, except for ADI-2 can‘t know if you use RCA or XLR.

BTW:
In the recording studio we never rely on Reference Level settings, we calibrate our devices using an external meter.
ADI-2’s new “Meter in dBu” - option comes as close as one can get to this approach, within a device.

I would love to see an optional "Auto EQ" function that automatically corrects the frequency dropoffs in some DA reconstruction filters, esp. the Slow filters. This would have to be sample rate dependent, with most correction at 44.1 kHz, less at 48 etc.

UCX II, Quadmic II, ADI-2 DAC FS
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thedilettantepianist