Topic: ADI-2 Pro + HD800S Gaming/Movies

Hello all,

Yesterday I have bought RMI ADI-2 PRO FS R Black Edition and I have few questions regarding configuration. I'm not very technical with audio options so I thought it would be best to ask someone here. I have Sennheiser HD800S headphones and I'll use them with ADI-2 mostly for gaming and occasionally movies. I don't listen music ( sometimes youtube videos ) so I need best possible configuration for games/movies.

I've installed driver and I've updated firmware to v111. I'm using Windows 10.

First question is about Sample Rate in MADIface Series Settings. By default it's 44.1kHz and I have tried to change it to for example 192kHz while listening youtube music video and sound is better/richer on 192kHz. Do I need to change that setting to some other Sample Rate and what about Buffer Size ( Latency )? When I change Sample Rate, Buffer Size changes automatically.

Second question is about CC-Mode. By default it's Stereo and I can change it to Multichannel but when I do that I don't have any sound on headphones. Do I need to change that to Multichannel because better positional sound for gaming or Stereo is way to go? Or Multichannel option is for something else?

I've tried to use EQ settings and I've used oratory1990 preset for HD800S and when I have done that sound is less loud/rich. Not very much but I can notice it when I'm listening youtube music video and turning EQ setting ON/OFF. Is it better to use that EQ settings for gaming or not? Is that setting for professional music reproduction or universal better setting then default.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory199..._ … _rme_adi-2

Also do I need to change something in ADI-2 options because there are many options there I don't even know what they do. I'm mostly interested in option Loudness and Hi-Power/Auto Ref Level. If you have some recommendation it would be great.

Before ADI-2 I've used Mayflower ARC Mk2 + oratory1990 preset with Peace software as first DAC/AMP with HD800S and it was great but not very loud and I wanted to buy ADI-2 as my endgame setup for gaming/movies but it has many more options. I want to configure it and forget about it.

And what to do with default windows volume? Do I put that option to max 100 and use only ADI-2 for sound level?

Thank you in advance.

2 (edited by ning 2022-01-19 03:22:04)

Re: ADI-2 Pro + HD800S Gaming/Movies

> By default it's 44.1kHz and I have tried to change it to for example 192kHz while listening youtube music video and sound is better/richer on 192kHz. Do I need to change that setting to some other Sample Rate and what about Buffer Size ( Latency )? When I change Sample Rate, Buffer Size changes automatically.

You can set it to the smallest buffer size if there's no hiccup in the playback. this gives you less latency. very important when you are gaming.

> Second question is about CC-Mode. By default it's Stereo and I can change it to Multichannel but when I do that I don't have any sound on headphones. Do I need to change that to Multichannel because better positional sound for gaming or Stereo is way to go? Or Multichannel option is for something else?

it has nothing to do with positional sound. it's just you have more channels with it...

if you want positional sound (kind of)... maybe you can try crossfeed. that kinda simulate speaker like soundstage when listening with headphones.

> I've tried to use EQ settings and I've used oratory1990 preset for HD800S and when I have done that sound is less loud/rich. Not very much but I can notice it when I'm listening youtube music video and turning EQ setting ON/OFF.

The EQ you showed has a bass boost but lowers the average volume significantly after 100hz. so with real music content you'll feel it's less loud rich. When comparing with EQ off, you need to turn up the volume when EQ on.

> Is it better to use that EQ settings for gaming or not?
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory199..._ … _rme_adi-2

The majority of reference grade sennheiser headphones (hd800s included) already have good frequency response and can be used without EQ. Whether or not to use EQ  depends on your personal taste. Some people likes the harman curve (where your eq preset is based upon) while others don't.

> Is that setting for professional music reproduction or universal better setting then default.

Harman curve is not for professional music reproduction. It's just a frequency response signature that many people appreciate.
For real professional music reproduction calibrated studio monitors are usually used. and the calibration process is mainly based on EQ.

> Also do I need to change something in ADI-2 options because there are many options there I don't even know what they do. I'm mostly interested in option Loudness and Hi-Power/Auto Ref Level. If you have some recommendation it would be great.

Again this depends on your taste (and for the loudness feature that also depends on how old you are). Read the manual to get more information.

> Before ADI-2 I've used Mayflower ARC Mk2 + oratory1990 preset with Peace software as first DAC/AMP with HD800S and it was great but not very loud and I wanted to buy ADI-2 as my endgame setup for gaming/movies but it has many more options. I want to configure it and forget about it.

Well the key benefits of using ADI-2 is that you have the flexibility to fine tune your sound... I never setup and forget about it... I experiment with the offered DSPs all the time. Otherwise I won't even purchase it in the first place.

> And what to do with default windows volume? Do I put that option to max 100 and use only ADI-2 for sound level?

Right.

I strongly suggest NOT to use high loudness over a prolonged time.

Every loudness above that of people’s normal talking will permanently and un-reversible damage your hearing if used for longer gaming sessions.

Compare the voices inside the game with voices in the real world - this is your optimum loudness that even the EQ fits to.

KaiS wrote:

Every loudness above that of people’s normal talking will permanently and un-reversible damage your hearing if used for longer gaming sessions.

Compare the voices inside the game with voices in the real world - this is your optimum loudness that even the EQ fits to.

Totally agree.

Loudness is designed for low level listening, boost a bit at highs and lows to compensate our listening ability at low volume, so do not use it at headphones with loud level.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

5 (edited by KaiS 2022-01-19 09:49:49)

Johannes AU wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Totally agree.

Loudness is designed for low level listening, boost a bit at highs and lows to compensate our listening ability at low volume, so do not use it at headphones with loud level.

I did intend something different:

• Do NOT listen loud - this is important!
• Use ADI-2‘s Loudness function.
• Setup “Loudness” according to manual page 15:
Example: user’s typical lowest level listening volume is at -35 dB at the unit. This value is now set by the user as Low Vol Ref in the Loudness menu...

Background:
According to my experience Sennheiser headphones are built with a frequency response shaped for listening unhealthy loud.
For listening with a more ear-healthy level you have to compensate, and ADI-2’s “Loudness” function is the perfect tool for that.

• Try this EQ, tailored for ADI-2:
(the 5750 Hz band should be -4 dB only to fit the HD-800S)
https://uc6f966673da5ec8dd58e6433e71.previews.dropboxusercontent.com/p/pdf_img/ABaz6AVpxgU2VxmQa9inn9w-dN-2yZOfmNu08hceRp_f3gJLRgBgp5u6OaFsMJMBrbperpHg0K2tTKcVqVpJzA35gLaeG0Lr4I08NxEpu2TEFud2f_orlsh6qtMgwiqp4xHvyI8LOwfncquFlf2LPaOqRNvpGf87hsppeJ2zWOpCfclA1SuVOp5ts4K6df9tdY5GswmmL0JNFmd9ZYdZb-vQPvjT5AFgWVN2ruLkp9S_fy63gARf_NFz5iEXmuJGIcFL4HyiYbwlKV477_jEZuExNMPKnsmhLCu3mceHWAZ65fumEyVCD0S2HuHYvpcey-ANdQvTZkYTzZH1IAXdutZPWyTXrMiRcvYFFkMoMuYYPg/p.png?page=0&scale_percent=0

Or this one, what better suits to you:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq … %20800%20S

The first 5 filters can be used independently:
Type             Fc            Q    Gain
Peaking    23 Hz    0.93    5.6 dB
Peaking    61 Hz    2.48    1.9 dB
Peaking    1702 Hz    2.13    3.2 dB
Peaking    3286 Hz    3.95    2.6 dB
Peaking    5648 Hz    3.94    -4.6 dB
Peaking    210 Hz    1.32    -2.3 dB
Peaking    449 Hz    0.72    -0.7 dB
Peaking    4393 Hz    0.22    0.2 dB
Peaking    10533 Hz    1.17    2.2 dB
Peaking    19366 Hz    0.38    -11.6 dB

Loudness and Volume as words itself can mean the same and cause some confusion...as here...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by dzigi12 2022-01-19 10:19:44)

First off all thank you all for answers.

By default it's 44.1kHz and I have tried to change it to for example 192kHz while listening youtube music video and sound is better/richer on 192kHz. Do I need to change that setting to some other Sample Rate and what about Buffer Size ( Latency )? When I change Sample Rate, Buffer Size changes automatically.

You can set it to the smallest buffer size if there's no hiccup in the playback. this gives you less latency. very important when you are gaming.

What about Sample Rate? When I'm changing buffer size I don't hear any difference and I have options from 128-8092 Samples. Atm it's 192kHz/4096 Samples. I'm talking about MADIface Settings in Windows. I can change Sample Rate and Buffer Size ( Latency ) there. On device when I go to Setup there is option Clock and Clock Source is INT and both options Sample Rate and DSD Rate are greyed and I can't change them. They change by default when I change Sample Rate / Buffer Size in MADIface Settings in Windows. For 192kHz/4096 they are 192k on device and DSD Rate is DSD64.

> Also do I need to change something in ADI-2 options because there are many options there I don't even know what they do. I'm mostly interested in option Loudness and Hi-Power/Auto Ref Level. If you have some recommendation it would be great.

Again this depends on your taste (and for the loudness feature that also depends on how old you are). Read the manual to get more information.

I'm 38 years old. I have tried Loudness feature and I've setup Loudness according to manual. Loudness ON, Bass/Treble Gain +7dB, Low Vol Ref -35dB. I still don't know what I'm gaining from that feature turn ON. I've noticed that Bass/Treble is louder when volume is lower when Loudness is ON.

I'll try EQs bellow to hear difference.

ATM I'm using this EQ preset and it's tailored for ADI-2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhwoxvqpdml3r … 9.pdf?dl=0

8 (edited by KaiS 2022-01-19 19:49:38)

dzigi12 wrote:

I'm 38 years old. I have tried Loudness feature and I've setup Loudness according to manual. Loudness ON, Bass/Treble Gain +7dB, Low Vol Ref -35dB. I still don't know what I'm gaining from that feature turn ON. I've noticed that Bass/Treble is louder when volume is lower when Loudness is ON.

Please read again page 14 to get an explanation for “Loudness”, and page 15 how to set it up.
It’s not to set -35 dB, but first find out your personal low listening level, then use this value.

Everything else: leave in factory setting, usually that is what fits best.
Exception: set the EQ you like.

Do I need to install MADIface drivers from RME site or not? I've read few posts that they are not needed and that I don't need MADIface software for changing Sample Rate? I still don't understand do I need to change Sample Rate by myself or ADI-2 will do that automatically regardless of played content. How can I configure that? I suppose I can see Sample Rate in lower right corner on ADI-2 display ( INT ) but that doesn't change at all whatever content I play.

With installed drivers I'm the one that changes Sample Rate in MADIface Series Settings and what happens without those drivers?

10 (edited by KaiS 2022-01-19 19:53:53)

If you want automatic sample rate switching UNINSTALL all drivers and run ADI-2 in Stereo-CC-Mode (= default factory setting).

11 (edited by exact 2022-01-20 09:21:42)

KaiS wrote:

If you want automatic sample rate switching UNINSTALL all drivers and run ADI-2 in Stereo-CC-Mode (= default factory setting).

How is this supposed to work exactly? I've tried this a couple of times and see no automatic switching. Only that I can now switch the sample rate through windows' settings instead of the MADInterface.

Should it be switching it according to the media being played, like games/movies and music?

Using ADI-2 DAC, not pro.

12 (edited by ramses 2022-01-20 10:11:50)

> Should it be switching it according to the media being played, like games/movies and music?

Of course. Its not like with a turntable where you need to select 33 or 45 U/min or a reel-to-reel, where you could select different tape speeds like 4,75, 9,5, 19, 38cm/s.

Audio content has standard headers which include among other things the sample rate. Therefore an audio player can get this information and interact with the driver to select the suitable sample rate otherwise audio would be played too fast or too slow.

With recording its a little different, you need to configure for your recording project in which sample rate and bit depth you want to record the audio content.

But for pure playback the application should interact with the driver and change samplerate automatically without user intervention. And again proactively, upsampling everything to e.g. 192 kHz to have one uniq samplerate does not bring anything in terms of quality. You will only get the quality of the initial A/D conversion, with conversion to higher sample rates only your audio file become bigger in size and the computer needs to process and transfer more data through the digital connection.

If you do not require streaming (like "lucky me"), then simply get MusicBee with ASIO support and change of sample rate runs meanwhile excellent and you can keep the RME ASIO driver installed which is required for firmware updates.

But there are also other streaming services, which interact well with the RME ASIO driver and perform correct sample rate changes. I tried a demo abo and found out, that I am not so fond of streamed music. And you never know what they do with the original audio content.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

> Should it be switching it according to the media being played, like games/movies and music?

Of course. Its not like with a turntable where you need to select 33 or 45 U/min or a reel-to-reel, where you could select different tape speeds like 4,75, 9,5, 19, 38cm/s.

Audio content has standard headers which include among other things the sample rate. Therefore an audio player can get this information and interact with the driver to select the suitable sample rate otherwise audio would be played too fast or too slow.

With recording its a little different, you need to configure for your recording project in which sample rate and bit depth you want to record the audio content.

But for pure playback the application should interact with the driver and change samplerate automatically without user intervention. And again proactively, upsampling everything to e.g. 192 kHz to have one uniq samplerate does not bring anything in terms of quality. You will only get the quality of the initial A/D conversion, with conversion to higher sample rates only your audio file become bigger in size and the computer needs to process and transfer more data through the digital connection.

If you do not require streaming (like "lucky me"), then simply get MusicBee with ASIO support and change of sample rate runs meanwhile excellent and you can keep the RME ASIO driver installed which is required for firmware updates.

But there are also other streaming services, which interact well with the RME ASIO driver and perform correct sample rate changes. I tried a demo abo and found out, that I am not so fond of streamed music. And you never know what they do with the original audio content.

Oh gotcha, I don't use music-streaming services, been using Foobar for years now and use ASIO with it!

14 (edited by rawac 2022-01-20 12:12:20)

exact wrote:
KaiS wrote:

How is this supposed to work exactly? I've tried this a couple of times and see no automatic switching. ...

leejeffriess369 had a very similar problem. See https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 8#p181028. After some back and forth it came out that he had chosen the way through the Windows kernel mixer as output instead of one without. I tried to explain the difference there: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 2#p181332.

The output device MME (Multi Media Extension) is the old Windows kernel mixer. Depends on the software what is selectable. Output device <Analog (1+2) (ADI-2 ***)> is usually also through the Windows kernel mixer (or perhaps shared mode, have not yet solved this mystery)

First: For sample rate switching by the player software without MADIFace you have to use software that supports WASAPI. Second: If the software does, you have to select the output device that is named something like <Analog (1+2) (ADI-2 ***) [exclusive]> or <Analog (1+2) (ADI-2 ***) WASAPI>.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

15 (edited by ramses 2022-01-20 12:08:03)

sorry for OT
> and a lot of Jazz
Hi Ralf, cool wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

(OT) I love Jazz too! smile

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen