Topic: Babyface Pro FS questions

My first question is regarding the headphone power output. I have a pair of AKG Q701 headphones and the bfp struggles to drive these to high levels. Would getting an external power supply give a bit more output? I find Iā€™m having to push the headphone out to nearly max as well as the soft output.

2nd is regarding the latest driver 1.210 I find that randomly when I use the dial on the bfp the volume jumps up or down. I rolled back as another has to 1.2 and the problem no longer exists.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Re: Babyface Pro FS questions

Basically the only difference in driver 1.2 and 1.210 is the included TotalMix FX. When you have 1.67 (with 1.2) then don't update to 1.210, but only replace TM FX itself, to version 1.72. It would be useful to know if the issue shows up then.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32074

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I was running 1.2 and 1.210 with TM FX 1.72. I notice 1.210 actually comes with 1.72 whereas 1.2 I had to replace it. But as I say I was using both versions with 1.72.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Yep, see the other thread.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

After a lot of waiting finally I have the Babyface Pro FS!!...I was reading through the manual and I got curious about why the RME designers, for a portable device such as the Babyface Pro, they chose balanced output without balanced jack (like the ubiquitous Neutrik) and why they didn't opt for a servo balanced 6.35mm jack output, this would have made the device waaay more flexible...I am here with my soldering iron making all sort of adapters for various setups, quite frustrating, but not much, i like to solder smile. It just would appear a clear design choice for such a device, was it cost? layout problems, spce?

Electronics. You want TRS output with servo-balanced feature. That costs 6 dB output level with the available voltage, and more current / power consumption with mono cables (ring shorted). Not a good idea on a portable, bus powered unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I see, you guys did miracles keeping the bus powered unit, no other companies achieved the Babyface pro fs specs with bus powered units