Topic: Totalmix fx browser based version, is it possible?

Would it be possible to make a browser based version of Totalmix fx? Of course, I'm looking for Linux usability if it works with Class compliant drivers. But on the other hand, it would work on all other platforms as well. It could be alongside the native Totalmix fx as an alternative for mac an windows as well.

It could be some kind of solution for all of us. And as an entry route for Linux users to the RME world.

But probably the idea will be shot down here right away. Life is expensive and so on. smile

Re: Totalmix fx browser based version, is it possible?

Other manufacturers of reasonable quality audio interfaces have made a browser interface for their hardware/software which work well with Linux.  I am unaware of any design impediment in Fireface units that would preclude a browser interface for Totalmix.  It appears that RME simply does not wish to invest the time and money to create any Linux-compatible solution for its products.
I have 2 Fireface 802 units.  The Fireface 802 does not have satisfactory performance under Linux, even in Class Compliant Mode.
One of my Windows 7 computers recently had a hardware issue.  I needed to reactivate Windows 7.  Neither the original Windows 7 key, nor a brand new, genuine and unused Windows 7 with new key would activate.  Bottom line - unlike previous versions of Windows that would continue to activate after Microsoft support stopped, Windows 7 will not reactivate.  In essence, Microsoft has found a way to deprive purchasers of that which they purchased.   I have left the captivity of the Microsoft Windows merry-go-round and found the freedom that users of Linux enjoy.  However, my Fireface 802 units no longer have adequate performance.  It is unfortunate that a manufacturer of fine audio hardware/software such as RME has chosen to ignore its users of Linux.

The train is already moving and RME is not on board. Pride precedes falling.

sjzstudio wrote:

The train is already moving and RME is not on board. Pride precedes falling.

What train are you talking about?

Everyone knows why there is no Linux support from RME even you if you stop pretending that you live in fantasy land.

There are no major DAW support on Linux except for Bitwigs that is even semi current.

There is very few studios running Linux, there is therefore very few interfaces with support for Linux, witch leads to very few studios running Linux.... you se where I'm going with this?

So no if I was RME i would not make a browser version of our low latency low headroom application because some people pretend they are stupider than they really are.

5 (edited by ramses 2022-08-13 14:19:46)

He means the 600+ trains …

For me, it looks more like that the train has already sailed. The support nightmare of over 600 Linux distributions can no longer be controlled.
About 30 years ago, there was another need to unify Unix. AT&T System V, BSD and Xenix became System V Rel 4. This made it possible to create compatibility, especially on the source code level. All manufacturers changed over then to this version. This had advantages. With Linux, standardization is only half-baked lip service. Things like file system standards can't hide the fact that the distributions are extremely diverse, and manual pages also have no real quality. Compared to the BSD-based systems, a difference like day and night. But it is also logical, who can document something in detail for all systems, if you cannot guarantee that for example paths or other things are not really the same everywhere. So, it's better to leave it out, but that's not good documentation.
Furthermore, I don't know any other Unix, where in some Linux distributions the mailx doesn't support attachments cleanly (and this in 2022, decades later since mailx exists…), so I had to use the mutt for scripting the other day. Or that AWK scripts, which are properly written and run on FreeBSD under Linux, simply deliver different results, which costs you hours of work because you first think you have made a mistake. In short, I find the code quality lags that of commercial Unixes and *BSD. But no wonder, with 600 distributions, many cooks spoil the broth. Everyone keeps making the same mistakes instead of working together with many hands to create something great.
Standardization and more quality is required, but if you tell this to the people, nobody understands …

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

You are absolutely right. Unfortunate but true. Maybe that train derailed already.