1 (edited by Robin Walsh 2022-02-20 11:29:17)

Topic: UFX+ and M-1610 Pro MADI sync

I have a brand new UFX+ and M-1610 Pro.

M-1610 connected to the UFX+ via MADI Optical (SFP Multi Mode Module)

The MADI sync lights on the UFX+ and the M-1610 flash sporadically. Sometimes the power indicator on the M-1610 also flashes and sometime even flashes red.

When I connected my old Lynx converters via ADAT I had a few problems in getting the lights to settle. It seemed to be a slightly bad connector on the ADAT inputs of the UFX+. Trust me, I probably tried 10 different sets of ADAT cables. Moving the cable around a bit got the sync to settle, so I just left it and recorded for a few days.

Now that I've replaced the Lynx converters with the M-1610 over MADI I'm still getting these sync issues.

I know from using RME gear for 20 years plus that I've never had an issue with getting sync over ADAT. So, in my opinion, it should be even better over MADI.

The only way I can completely stable sync is to use Word Clock, which is a first for me and RME.

I've been on the line to RME and the only way we could resolve the issue was to use WC.

But, I have a theory. I think the Optical side of this particular UFX+ is faulty. I should get perfect sync over MADI Optical, and I'm not.

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

Re: UFX+ and M-1610 Pro MADI sync

Hi Robin,

I'm not a MADI pro at all, but when I tried to hook up some external converters to my UCXII via ADAT, I had to set my clock source to Optical In. I'm reminded that the manual says that Lock is not what you want (for ADAT anyway) but that you need to see SYNC in your Fireface Settings. What did you set your Clock Source to in the Fireface USB Settings? Admittedly, there are probably differences with your UFX+ that I'm not familiar with but just thought I'd reply with an idea for you to try  smile

-Steve

Keep sample rates on both the same.
If you think your optical connection is faulty, try coax.
Check all sample rates and clock settings in web browser configuration for the 1610.
Maybe also try the beta firmware for the 1610.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34590

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

sbcrikey wrote:

Hi Robin,

I'm not a MADI pro at all, but when I tried to hook up some external converters to my UCXII via ADAT, I had to set my clock source to Optical In. I'm reminded that the manual says that Lock is not what you want (for ADAT anyway) but that you need to see SYNC in your Fireface Settings. What did you set your Clock Source to in the Fireface USB Settings? Admittedly, there are probably differences with your UFX+ that I'm not familiar with but just thought I'd reply with an idea for you to try  smile

-Steve

sbcrikey, thanks for your reply. Yeah, I went through pretty much all of the options with Markus from support. Did loopback test, etc.

I'm going to the beta firmware update to see what happens.

Thank you!

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

cigame wrote:

Keep sample rates on both the same.
If you think your optical connection is faulty, try coax.
Check all sample rates and clock settings in web browser configuration for the 1610.
Maybe also try the beta firmware for the 1610.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34590

cigame, thank you for that link! I'll do the update right now and report back...

Thank you!

Cigame, the beta firmware update seems to have fixed it!! It also fixed the garbled start up screen on the 1610.

I'll check it during the day today..

Thank you!!!

Hi Robin,
obviously I had the same issue as you: Every 260 seconds the MADI optical input of my M-1610 pro (96kHz, MADI clock slave, connected to an Octamic XTC) indicated a problem. With the new beta version it seems to be solved - at least at a first glance.
Best, Ulrich

Ulrich wrote:

Hi Robin,
obviously I had the same issue as you: Every 260 seconds the MADI optical input of my M-1610 pro (96kHz, MADI clock slave, connected to an Octamic XTC) indicated a problem. With the new beta version it seems to be solved - at least at a first glance.
Best, Ulrich

Hey Ulrich!

Yes, it has sorted out the sync problems I had.

A full day of tracking today with no problems whatsoever!!

Thank you for the update RME!!