Topic: Utilizing the Babyface Pro as a Studio Monitor Controller

Appreciate any tips on setting up my Babyface Pro to switch between 3 different speaker sources for AB/referencing mixes etc.. or will I need to get seperate monitor controller/switcher to achieve this?

I'm using Babyface Pro with a Macbook Pro running Logic Pro. Also have an ADA8200 interface (w/ 8 x  optical In/Outs) to utilize if that would be of use in this situation.

Thanks in advance for your input.

2 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2022-03-25 03:41:10)

Re: Utilizing the Babyface Pro as a Studio Monitor Controller

Hello!

I guess that you, allready, are using two ADAT cables to connect the ADA8200 to the BF Pro.
Well, there are three ways you could set this up!

1st
- You can connect the monitors you know and use the most, to the XLR Outs of the BF Pro.
- Then, connect the other two pairs to the Analog Outs of the Behringer.
- Create and save 3 Snapshots(in TMFX) with the routing you want, outputting to the respective pair of monitors! (one for each pair)
Now, you can change Snapshots for A/B/C-ing

2nd
- Same as 1st.
- Connect another pair to the Phones Output via a "TRS to 2 TS" Y-cable. This is an un-balanced connection!
If you keep the cable away from power cables, you won't have any noise isues. Also, match the level with the XLR Outputs!
Connect the 3rd pair to the Analog Outs of the Behringer.
- Same as 1st.

3rd
- Connect all three pairs to the Behringer and use the BF Pro 's Phones Output for your headphones!
- Create and save 3 Snapshots(in TMFX) with the routing you want, outputting to the respective pair of monitors!

Also, in TMFX Preferences Menu, under "Snapshots" section, you can set "Do not Load" to "Control Room Settings".
This way your Control Room Settings won't change as you change snapshots, and you can have the levels of your monitors saved with each Snapshot!

If you 'd ask me, I would go with the 1st way!
Hope this covers everything!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Hey this is a brilliant response. Sincerely appreciate you taking the time to go into that kind of detail.. such a great help!

This will give me an opportunity to get my hands dirty with the The TMFX routing & snapshots, something I haven't really utilized at this level. Up until now I've been using my main set of monitors via the XLR Outs & my second pair via the Phones output (which can be a bit of a pain if you want a seperate headphone level at the same time). I also have a 3rd speaker I'd like to throw into the setup as additional reference.

With Thanks

You 're welcome!!
Glad to be of help!!

TMFX is a breeze! It can, literally, untie hands in terms of workflow!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

5 (edited by Jaroslav_Stika 2023-11-28 16:54:01)

A more automated method is using mute groups in TotalMix, assigning key commands for toggling, and linking this to an AppleScript. This script can be activated with a keyboard shortcut, making it super convenient to switch between monitors and headphones on a Mac. I have a friend that does like this and he is pretty comfy with this setup.

I also use Babyface Pro on a Mac, but with a Steinberg UR12 interface. It's about $200, straightforward to use, with clean phantom power and headphone output – works great with Babyface Pro. And I don't have to think too much on the setup or how to work with it. For more interface options and tips see this article: https://audiotipz.com/best-audio-interfaces/.