Topic: TotalMix Remote on Android ?

Hello,

it's been a while since my last post on this forum and I have not followed all news so sorry if it has been asked.

I used to use a BCF2000 to control TotalMix and it worked like a charm. A few days ago, I changed my PC (i7 1st generation to Ryzen 9) and I used the SSD (where Windows 10 was installed) I had in my old PC to the new PC. No problem once the devices have been updated by Windows 10 excepted that the BCF2000 can't communicate with Fireface UC anymore. BCF2000 is recognized but no way to control TotalMix. I suspect that maybe USB protocol has changed between the i7 1st generation and the Ryzen 9 (pure guess).

That said, I saw that there is TotalMix Remote which could replace the BCF2000 but only on iOS. Is there a version for Android I missed and if not, why please ?

Re: TotalMix Remote on Android ?

Check all settings, especially MIDI I/O. Nothing has changed, it will work.

We don't use Android, so no support for that, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes I checked all this and I don't think it comes from the Fireface UC cause I tried with Cakewalk By Bandlab and DaVinci Resolve and even if they see the BCF2000, they can't "use" it.

Perhaps, something must have changed in the way the new motherboard handles USB. I even tried on a fresh installation of W10 on another SSD.

I asked for Android cause as there is a iOS version and there is a majority of Android users, I thought there could be an Android version.

Are you saying you removed the drive from the old pc and put it directly into the new one without doing a fresh install? If so that is not a good idea as it can cause all sorts of problems.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

5 (edited by Manolo 2021-06-03 17:46:29)

mkok wrote:

Are you saying you removed the drive from the old pc and put it directly into the new one without doing a fresh install? If so that is not a good idea as it can cause all sorts of problems.

No, I read a lot about this before doing it : Windows 10 makes updates for the new hardware. It's of course not as clean as a fresh install but it runs with no problems since one week (as 3D workstation and DAW). As I wrote, I also tried on a fresh install and it's the same thing.

6 (edited by gl 2021-06-03 18:22:41)

there should be no fundamental reason why the BCF doesn't work.  I use their X-Touch, both with USB, classic MIDI and LAN on a Ryzen 3950x on Win10 Pro (x64).

There was an issue with AMD's BIOS code which caused USB controllers to reset themselves sometimes, causing things like external USB drives randomly disconnecting (which I had), apparently USB sound cards, mice & keyboards disconnecting (which I didn't get) etc.  That was fixed only quite recently in BIOS updates.  that might be it, but otherwise I suspect your settings.

Does the BCF have a Mackie mode, and is that what you used with TotalMix?  That should definitely work (it's what I use).

One other thing that sometimes happens is that, if I power down my UFX and then power it up again in the same Windows session, sometimes TotalMix gets confused/stuck and I can't control it anymore.  If that happens, just exiting TotalMix and restarting it fixes it.

Unfortunately sometimes when I switch the UFX on like that, Windows gets permanently stuck in the AudioEndpointBuilder service (maxing out a CPU core and never recovering).  That's usually when nothing works anymore, including WME and ASIO, and I have to restart the service (and often the related Audiosrv service) and then restart TotalMix.  It doesn't always work the first time either.  And sometimes it even bluescreens when I close down TotalMix with a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (from memory).

RME, this seems to be a bug in the driver.  would be great if you can fix this hang and occasional bluescreen when the interface is switched off and on again in the same Windows session.  Happy to provide info/test things (programmer myself).

7 (edited by Manolo 2021-06-03 18:31:03)

gl wrote:

there should be no fundamental reason why the BCF doesn't work.  I use their X-Touch, both with USB, classic MIDI and LAN on a Ryzen 3950x on Win10 Pro (x64).

There was an issue with AMD's BIOS code which caused USB controllers to reset themselves sometimes, causing things like external USB drives randomly disconnecting (which I had), apparently USB sound cards, mice & keyboards disconnecting (which I didn't get) etc.  That was fixed only quite recently in BIOS updates.  that might be it, but otherwise I suspect your settings.

The weird thing is my settings have not changed as I just put the SSD in the new PC (specs are near yours). I have a VS-700C and I can use it with no problem in place of BCF2000. I have no problem on disconnection for now with my Fireface UC.

Does the BCF have a Mackie mode, and is that what you used with TotalMix?  That should definitely work (it's what I use).

Yes and set to it.

One other thing that sometimes happens is that, if I power down my UFX and then power it up again in the same Windows session, sometimes TotalMix gets confused/stuck and I can't control it anymore.  If that happens, just exiting TotalMix and restarting it fixes it.

Unfortunately sometimes when I switch the UFX on like that, Windows gets permanently stuck in the Windows Audio Endpoint service (maxing out a CPU core and never recovering).  That's usually when nothing works anymore, including WME and ASIO, and I have to restart the service (and often the related Windows Audio Service).  This seems to be a bug in the driver - and sometimes it even bluescreens when I close down TotalMix with a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (from memory).

RME, would be great if you can fix this hang and occasional bluescreen when the interface is switched off and on again in the same Windows session.  Happy to provide info/test things (programmer myself).

I never experienced this before changing to the new PC but I can't really tell with the new, too soon.

Thanks for your input smile.

gl wrote:

RME, this seems to be a bug in the driver.  would be great if you can fix this hang and occasional bluescreen when the interface is switched off and on again in the same Windows session.  Happy to provide info/test things (programmer myself).

I found a mini dump file with that error if you'd like to check it out (DM) - pic:

https://r-i-l.net/_pics/rme/pfn_list_corrupt.gif

+1 for a total mix remote on Android. Why do we have to buy expensive propriety devices like Ipad to control Totalmix or otherwise buy more expensive windows tablets or  computers or tablets when a cheap android tablet should be sufficient? If we want to use say 4 additional users for remote it is a big outlay. I hear you say better you than me. hahaha  cheers Greg

10 (edited by Thermaltake 2022-01-24 06:54:08)

Apple stuff are trash anyway. Don't buy that garbage.

Also looking forward to Totalmix on android soon.

Manolo wrote:

The weird thing is my settings have not changed as I just put the SSD in the new PC (specs are near yours). I have a VS-700C and I can use it with no problem in place of BCF2000.

As you mentioned it yourself - putting the old drive into new hardware everything basic is reinstalled. All MIDI ports, and also the BCF drivers. So there is the question: do you connect it via USB or with simple MIDI cables into the MIDI ports of the audio interface? The latter must work, obviously, so it seems you use USB, and the BCF is not properly installed.

You might have also run into the stone old 'too many MIDI I/Os in regístry' issue. Find the old information about that and check it. It's not so popular anymore, but with a simple hardware change without fresh installation it might happen.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by Manolo 2022-01-24 15:24:33)

I sold my BCF2000 since but the request for an app for Android is still there smile.

13 (edited by nhan999 2022-02-12 12:32:57)

+ 1 vote TotalMix FX for Android

Excepted in USA where iOS is about 51% vs 49% for Android, other countries use Android in a majority : https://www.kantarworldpanel.com/global … ket-share/ wink.

Please guys, do an Android Version ! It would be awesome

Yes, even in USA, Android is above iOS now (55/45). Really hard to understand the choice of only iOS ?!

+1

Windows 11 / Nuendo 12 / UFX+ / M-1610 Pro / ADI-2 Pro FS R / Sonnet USB 3.0 PCIe

Yeah, please do an android version. I really don't understand why one isn't available. Seems like a no-brainer..

UFX+ and BFP FS user here. Based in Europe. Android TotalMix remote please.

Ufx+/ Bfp Fs

20 (edited by ebulb 2022-08-09 09:18:19)

you can get OSC layouts on Android already which can basically control every feature in TM..  so its not a total loss.. Global OSC/midi control would ice the cake though.. which has been talked about for almost 10 years now!!!

for anyone who hasn't used an OSC you can easily download existing layouts and its not hard to learn to make your own, then you can build custom controller whenever you want.. RME have done a fair bit to accommodate OSC already which makes for decent option on Android...

ebulb wrote:

you can get OSC layouts on Android already which can basically control every feature in TM..  so its not a total loss.. Global OSC/midi control would ice the cake though.. which has been talked about for almost 10 years now!!!

for anyone who hasn't used an OSC you can easily download existing layouts and its not hard to learn to make your own, then you can build custom controller whenever you want.. RME have done a fair bit to accommodate OSC already which makes for decent option on Android...

For OSC to be able to interface with TotalMix OCS would have to connect to a PC running totalmix though, right?
But the iOS-version of totalmix runs on the iOS device and does not require a PC to be operational?
That is a very big difference

22 (edited by ebulb 2022-08-10 08:47:24)

Overmann wrote:

For OSC to be able to interface with TotalMix OCS would have to connect to a PC running totalmix though, right?
But the iOS-version of totalmix runs on the iOS device and does not require a PC to be operational?

yes it needs a PC.. my guess is most people asking for Android support would still be using a computer and a DAW though.. and a lot of them maybe don't realise how effective OSC can be.. otherwise the only benefits to requesting standalone Android support (that i can see) are Android music apps or running the interface as a dedicated mixer ? i didn't think there were too many great Android music apps but admittedly i don't pay much attention to it..  the topic of the thread is asking for "remote" in which case OSC can do most things the iOS remote app does, just not change preferences and settings etc..

ebulb wrote:
Overmann wrote:

yes it needs a PC.. my guess is most people asking for Android support would still be using a computer and a DAW though.. and a lot of them maybe don't realise how effective OSC can be.. otherwise the only benefits to requesting standalone Android support (that i can see) are Android music apps or running the interface as a dedicated mixer ? i didn't think there were too many great Android music apps but admittedly i don't pay much attention to it..  the topic of the thread is asking for "remote" in which case OSC can do most things the iOS remote app does, just not change preferences and settings etc..

Wouldn't the Android app function  like a TotalMix interface while the device is in stand alone mode? That would be amazing for durec usability. That is why I would like an app, and it would be fantastic. If that is not something the iOS-app supports then I'm out tongue

yes an android app could provide totalmix to run durec and make it a standalone mixer.. I suspect most people requesting Android though want it alongside a DAW on PC/Mac and don't realise OSC may already do what they need..

I would greatly appreciate an Android version of TotalMix Remote.

-OR-

Is there a straightforward way to mirror TotalMix from a PC to an Android device?

26 (edited by ramses 2022-12-14 18:08:55)

+1 for Android.

There are remote desktop solutions available.

Surely well enough for configuration work. Not sure about level meters regarding latency.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Long time RME user here. UFX II at my home mix room, and HDSPe MADI at the recording studio. Android version please! This would be a game changer for me! No brainer!

Yes please, an Android version would be very much appreciated!