1 (edited by zr0sum 2022-05-13 16:40:27)

Topic: Seeking advice re: monitoring/recording setup (perhaps with TotalMix)

Hi. I'm after some advice.

I have an RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, it's connected to my computer via USB, used as an audio interface/headphone amplifier. I use it with a set of HIFIMAN Arya V3 headphones. I also have a guitar setup going out through a UA OX, coming in via S/PDIF.

I would like to be able to directly monitor my guitar output and what's playing at the same time with minimal latency. This is so that I can have a play along to backing music and listen both the guitar and the backing track with my headphones. The RME supports S/PDIF, but AFAIK it doesn't allow playback at the same time. It's one or the other, right?

A while back, I could do this just fine with a Roland UA-55 Quad Capture (fairly old now) as it provided a direct monitor, so that I could hear playback+S/PDIF. There was no noticible latency and I could even control the mix between playback and S/PDIF. However, this device doesn't come close to the RME, there's a large and noticible difference in sound quality between that and the Quad Capture (it's not just me, other people have commented on it blindly).

TLDR; how can I get the best sound from my Arya headphones using my RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE while being able to directly monitor playback and a seperate S/PDIF line (ideally being able to control the mix that I hear between the two & record both sources). I love my RME ADI-2 Pro!

I don't mind if I have to spend money on a mixer set up of some sort. Ideally I don't want to spend more than a couple of thousand dollars (I prefer not to do it in a DAW), but I want to get something professional that will last a long time. The RME and Ox are already expensive peices of equipment. Also, I want to be able to record playback and S/PDIF together.

It sounds like TotalMix might give me what I want and I would be very happy if someone could point me towards a solution that uses this!

Help! Please!

Thanks.

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-05-13 18:29:48)

Re: Seeking advice re: monitoring/recording setup (perhaps with TotalMix)

Although there is no internal mix option inside ADI-2 Pro, with a little trick you can listen to PH 1/2 and PH 3/4 simultaneously, to play or sing along a backing track, even with almost no latency:

• Route the backing Track, USB or digital in, to PH 1/2.

• Route the analog input to PH 3/4.

• To mix PH 1/2 and 3/4, solder a cable with the following configuration:

6.3 mm TRS 1/2:
Tip > Arya left (+)
Ring > Arya right (+)
6.3 mm TRS 3/4:
Tip > Arya left (-)
Ring > Arya right (-)
Sleeves: no connection.

This way you listen to Digital Source MINUS Analog Source, which is practically the same like Digital Source PLUS Analog Source, or a mix from both.

If you have a speaker amp with TRUE BALANCED inputs, a similar cable would work there too the same way.

Or

@zr0sum
You can achieve what you 're after with a Digiface USB   https://www.rme-audio.de/digiface-usb.html

You can connect your UA Ox via Optical SPDIF to the DF Usb and use your ADI 2 Pro FS R for D/A conversion, for your phones, speakers etc!
Just keep in mind that you 'll need to have the Ox as Clock Master and the DF Usb and ADI as Clock Slaves!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Thank you both @KaiS and @MetalHeadKeys! That's great advice.

I can definitely either find a solution in the cable trick or by purchasing a Digiface USB! big_smile

zr0sum wrote:

Thank you both @KaiS and @MetalHeadKeys! That's great advice.

I can definitely either find a solution in the cable trick or by purchasing a Digiface USB! big_smile

The cable trick is cheaper, and easier to use smile

Use somethin like this (7,5 m long), cut in halfs, strand, and solder two 6.3 mm TRS plugs to it:
https://www.amazon.de/Ultra-HDTV-Audio- … U&th=1

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/714nZqtExcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg