Topic: Using ADI-2 Pro FS w/ UA Apollo X: Which Clock to use as Master?

When using ADI-2 Pro FS with a UA Apollo X Interface: Which Clock to use as Master & Slave?

My plans are to use the ADI-2 Pro FS for final pre-master serious listening as well as to print the Master/pre-Master to a file or a qualified media such as DDS stream to DVD.

What suggestions are floating around?

Later

GrievousAngel
Live Sound & Recording Studio Owner
Severely influenced by Rock'n Roll!
ADI-2 Pro FS

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-05-13 07:00:07)

Re: Using ADI-2 Pro FS w/ UA Apollo X: Which Clock to use as Master?

ADI-2 Pro, due to it’s “Stead Clock FS”, preserves the same audio quality running as clock master or slave.

So it boils down to a question of convenience and usability.

Personally I prefer configurations where the DAW / recording software defines and switches the sample rate.

This eases the use when working on multiple projects and prevents erroneous running unlocked or on the wrong sample rate, with possible catastrophic results.

3 (edited by ramses 2022-05-13 07:14:03)

KaiS wrote:

ADI-2 Pro, due to it’s “Stead Clock FS”, preserves the same audio quality running as clock master or slave.

So it boils down to a question of convenience and usability.

Personally I prefer configurations where the DAW / recording software defines and switches the sample rate.

This eases the use when working on multiple projects and prevents erroneous running unlocked or on the wrong sample rate, with possible catastrophic results.

Also my preference. Easy to achieve at single speed up to 48kHz, with double/quad speed you need to take care, as the clock slave has no possibility to determine port multiplexing. So you need to use SPDIF based connections like ADAT in SPDIF protocol (of the driver/hw allows) or AES which are 2ch protocols from 32-192 kHz.
I don't remember how it was with Word Clock in my MADI setup, I think even there the recognition of double/quad speed was not possible (not 100% sure, long time ago and I only use single speed at the moment, higher sample rates only for playback.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

How would you connect the ADI-2 Pro FS to or through the Apollo X? there is no optical out on it...?

5 (edited by KaiS 2022-05-15 06:36:17)

stacyodellnyc wrote:

How would you connect the ADI-2 Pro FS to or through the Apollo X? there is no optical out on it...?

ADI-2 Pro has optical out that can be connected to Apollo Twin X’s optical in for clocking and recording, making ADI-2 Pro clock master and Apollo Twin X clock slave.

If ADI-2 DAC or Pro is used as monitor controller only, this connection is obsolete, ADI-2 can work as clock slave from USB, see your other thread.