Topic: ADI-192 DD : AES/EBU Sample Rate Conversion w/ Different Input Rates

With the ADI-192 DD, it it possible to have 2 different sample rates coming from separate AES/EBU sources input simultaneously and converted to a common AES/EBU output sample rate?

In other words, if I have one AES/EBU device output at 48 kHz and a second AES/EBU device output at 96 kHz, can I have both input into the ADI-192 simultaneously and have the AES/EBU output for both as 192 kHz?

Thanks.

Re: ADI-192 DD : AES/EBU Sample Rate Conversion w/ Different Input Rates

Yes, with SRC switched to Source: AES and Range: DS LED lit, all AES/EBU inputs can be free-running at up to 96kHz.

Then set the ADI unit to Internal clock / 48k / QS in the clock section for 192kHz output.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by BMeyers 2022-05-19 21:32:50)

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm assuming this would also work if instead of using the ADI's internal clock to set the output rate, you could use an external word clock, correct?

Also, I see where the ADI-192 DD is still listed for sale on the RME / Synthax website.  Is it actually still available and in stock?

Thanks,

Ben

Sure, it works with an external clock source.

Unfortunately it looks like we've sold the last unit, we had some remaining stock recently.

We'll update the website, thanks for the notice.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Since these have been discontinued, is there another suitable RME unit that would perform the same sample rate conversions?

A quick check of the online retailers shows out of stock as well for the ADI-192, so if there aren't any other current options available, I guess it's time for the eBay gear lottery, LOL.

Thanks,

Ben

There are no other RME units with multiple AES inputs and SRC, sorry.

You should be safe to buy this unit second hand. In 15 years the only failure we ever saw with these models was the internal PSU, and that is pretty easy to replace if needed.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks for the info Jeff.

Last question, and I think I know the answer:

If the 2 pieces of equipment in my example are outboard effects processors that need to send and receive AES/EBU signals at their native 48 & 96 kHz rates (bi-directional conversions), I'd need three of the ADI-192's to accomplish this, correct?

This would be one ADI-192 to upconvert the 48 & 96 kHz signals to 192 kHz, then one ADI-192 to convert from 192 kHz to 96 kHz and another ADI-192 to convert 192 kHz to 48 kHz.

Or is there any way to accomplish the bi-directional conversions with just one ADI-192?

Thanks,

Ben