Topic: To Use or Not Use an ADI-2 Pro FS As Master Clock?

Currently I have an ADI-2 Pro FS and a UA Apollo X8. I plan to interconnect them digitally. So, which should I use as Master Clock? 

Both are excellent converters, but the ADI-2 Pro FS is marketed as RME's reference converter featuring FS clock technology. I will use the Apollo X8 for tracking and the ADI-2 for listening and for pre-master/master capture, etc. I plan to use the ADI-2 Pro FS to output the FS clock via ADAT Out to X8 ADAT In.

Would this be a preferred option?

Thanks for your input,

GrievousAngel
Live Sound & Recording Studio Owner
Severely influenced by Rock'n Roll!
ADI-2 Pro FS

Re: To Use or Not Use an ADI-2 Pro FS As Master Clock?

either will be fine. both are good products!

3 (edited by KaiS 2022-05-25 12:44:20)

grievousangel wrote:

Currently I have an ADI-2 Pro FS and a UA Apollo X8. I plan to interconnect them digitally. So, which should I use as Master Clock? 

More or less the same question was already answered a few threads below:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35331

Use the Apollo, with automatic ASIO switching through it’s driver settings, as master clock.

I quote myself:
ADI-2 Pro, due to it’s “Stead Clock FS”, preserves the same audio quality running as clock master or slave.
So it boils down to a question of convenience and usability.

Personally I prefer configurations where the DAW / recording software defines and switches the sample rate.
This eases the use when working on multiple projects and prevents erroneous running unlocked or on the wrong sample rate, with possible catastrophic results.

Yes Apollo as master, as that is the situation steadyclock fs is made for. It has no influence how well another device will lock to it, it is about locking to an external clock without degradation! It is also always best to have the recording interface as master during recording, so another vote for apollo master.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Since the Apollo X is handling tracking and other I/O task, I will use the Apollo X as master and slave the ADI-2 via S/PDIF. I want to save the Apollo X8 ADAT I/O for my headphone cue mix distribution.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

GrievousAngel
Live Sound & Recording Studio Owner
Severely influenced by Rock'n Roll!
ADI-2 Pro FS