Topic: Front panel knob and screen location layout

Just got a new RME ADI-2 DAC FS and I'm really loving it! Its quite amazing.I would like to add a suggestion to RME. I think the placement of the knobs and screen could be better laid out. Volume knob on far right, 4 buttons next (going right to left), then the small knobs (1-B, 2-T) and then the screen. This way if you have the DAC on your right you can see the screen when making adjustments... currently my hand covers when using the volume. IDK, what do you all think?
Love this unit!!

2 (edited by ramses 2022-05-23 07:21:03)

Re: Front panel knob and screen location layout

Why don't you just use your left hand, like I do, to change the volume? I always place three fingers on the case for support and use my thumb and index finger for operation. That works very well. Using the remote control would be another option.

One reason for this placement could be the small form factor and the layout of the multilayer PCB. One thing is for sure, this cannot be changed so easily.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

>  Volume knob on far right, 4 buttons next (going right to left), then the small knobs (1-B, 2-T) and then the screen.

maybe you can present a drawing of how will it look like, and explain why it's better.

from the description only I don't believe this is better. 

TBH the only thing uncomfortable in my own experience is it's damn hard to set EQ parameters and i'd prefer to do it on my computer screen with keyboard and mouse.

> One reason for this placement could be the small form factor and the layout of the multilayer PCB. One thing is for sure, this cannot be changed so easily.

the controls/screens are not related to the multilayer PCB layout, unless the design changes the position of the headphone jacks.

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-05-23 10:58:12)

ning wrote:

TBH the only thing uncomfortable in my own experience is it's damn hard to set EQ parameters and i'd prefer to do it on my computer screen with keyboard and mouse.

I would not totally agree on this one.
Having three physical knobs to turn is superior and much more intuitive than many screen solutions, specially for fine tuning by ear, without visual detraction.

Of course, every improvement is welcome, but it’s unrealistic to expect this to happen for the existing ADI-2 Pro / DAC, this was discussed several times.

A detailed proposal has more chance of success for the ADI-2 2/4.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35329

One could imagine a return, fourway arrow, enter based setup. and knobs to accomodate this. This could also be implemented in the remote, minus the knobs of course. A well proven concept for menu control. That said, the current setup works just fine, but I think buttons are quicker and less fiddly.

Death to greasy touchscreens!

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Happy_amateur wrote:

One could imagine a return, fourway arrow, enter based setup. and knobs to accomodate this. This could also be implemented in the remote, minus the knobs of course. A well proven concept for menu control. That said, the current setup works just fine, but I think buttons are quicker and less fiddly.

As today all have mobile... all done by an app ... as given on OPPO 205 big_smile so we need an LAN connection ( Ethernet or WiFi)

So menu hell gone fishing...

my 2 cents

I will make a drawing illustrating my suggestion. Can one add a file, pic or jpeg on here?

put it to cloud, link url to here between img tags.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

hpw wrote:
Happy_amateur wrote:

As today all have mobile... all done by an app ... as given on OPPO 205 big_smile so we need an LAN connection ( Ethernet or WiFi)

So menu hell gone fishing...

my 2 cents

There is nothing like real buttons. You know there they are, you can feel them with your fingertips. So visual focus is on ADI display.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

I never use the knob, I have my unit under my monitor and my remote placed flat on the table pointing at it 1 ft away and I just mash the buttons instead smile

11 (edited by stacyodellnyc 2022-05-30 15:39:18)

Heres a diagram of front panel layout. It would IMO make it easier for right handed people as well as right desk side placement. When making any adjustment or using any button or dial you will be able to see the screen the screen on all movements.Let me know what you all think. Best

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A1CQ_J … sp=sharing

I am right handed, but would always use left hand for turning knob and right hand for making selection.
If the knob is right then its impossible to turn the knob and watch the display at the same time.
It's probably just a matter of habit; as it is, it's anything but generally annoying. I would leave it as it is.

stacyodellnyc wrote:

Heres a diagram of front panel layout. It would IMO make it easier for right handed people as well as right desk side placement. When making any adjustment or using any button or dial you will be able to see the screen the screen on all movements.Let me know what you all think. Best

this design will not work. you'll have problem turning the encoders...

ning wrote:
stacyodellnyc wrote:

this design will not work. you'll have problem turning the encoders...

How so?? there is enough room... I made measurements to check

ramses wrote:

I am right handed, but would always use left hand for turning knob and right hand for making selection.
If the knob is right then its impossible to turn the knob and watch the display at the same time.
It's probably just a matter of habit; as it is, it's anything but generally annoying. I would leave it as it is.

I got you, I always use 1 hand and always on right, so when I do... it covers the screen as I scroll or search... Just an idea. Cheers

ramses wrote:

put it to cloud, link url to here between img tags.

Ok, did that... link listed in thread. best

KaiS wrote:
ning wrote:

I would not totally agree on this one.
Having three physical knobs to turn is superior and much more intuitive than many screen solutions, specially for fine tuning by ear, without visual detraction.

Of course, every improvement is welcome, but it’s unrealistic to expect this to happen for the existing ADI-2 Pro / DAC, this was discussed several times.

A detailed proposal has more chance of success for the ADI-2 2/4.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35329

not suggesting removing any knobs... just moving the position order. I put a link to diagram in thread. Cheers