Topic: Remote control of 12Mic(-D) and attached MADI devices via network?

With the announcement of a Dante version of the 12mic the following question has come to my mind immediately:

As already mentioned in discussions regarding the original 12Mic, it should easily be possible to integrate the audio from older devices, that are designed for MADI connections, like Octamic XTCs or Micstasys, into the audio network when they are connected to a 12Mic(-D) via MADI.
But will it also be possible to remote control those MADI-based devices, that are remote controlled via MIDI or MIDI-over-MADI, without further hassle when you only have network connections e.g. from stage to studio?
Can MIDI be sent to a 12Mic(-D) via network and be forwarded via MIDI-over-MADI somehow? Will it e.g. be possible to address the MADI port on the 12Mic directly as target for the MIDI control signal in MIDI Remote or a future TotalmixFX implementation? Or is the best solution for a scenario like this a third-party RTP-MIDI-interface in the same network, sending control data to the older devices via DIN?

Sorry if this has already been discussed earlier, but I haven't found an answer to this so far and maybe things are a bit different anyway with layer 3 networks in Dante now.

2 (edited by ramses 2022-06-03 20:37:02)

Re: Remote control of 12Mic(-D) and attached MADI devices via network?

Still waiting for Auxdevice support for the MADI case.
Workaround is the new application which uses MIDI over MADI.

Whats always possible, to remote control at lease the 12Mic via LAN no matter whether you use MADI or AVB.

If you integrate MADI devices behind a 12Mic (which is connected via AVB) my understanding is, that you can use Webbrowser/Lan to remote control the 12Mic. But MADI devices connected through the 12Mic in an AVB network/context could not be remote controlled e.g. through Auxdevice support.

I would be nice if
- Auxdevice support would come for 12Mic connected directly to MADI
- some tunneling of "Auxdevice protocol" through AVB to enable remote controlling MADI devices behind a 12Mic (which works in AVB context)

So much enhancements came for Apple and ADI-2 Pro. Auxdevice support for 12Mic is promised since about 2y.
Am surprised that even a new Dante flavour of 12Mic is being announced, but still no Auxdevice support.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Not exactly my point.
I'm wondering how I could get remote control of XTC, Micstasy etc. running when buying a 12Mic-D and connecting preamps to studio via network only.
All articles and discussions I found are about remote control of this combination of devices via MADI.

Sorry I read to fast and changed the text. Now ok?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by Hendrik 2022-06-03 21:07:58)

ramses wrote:

If you integrate MADI devices behind a 12Mic (which is connected via AVB) my understanding is, that you can use Webbrowser/Lan to remote control the 12Mic. But MADI devices connected through the 12Mic in an AVB network/context could not be remote controlled e.g. through Auxdevice support.

I would be nice if
- Auxdevice support would come for 12Mic connected directly to MADI
- some tunneling of "Auxdevice protocol" through AVB to enable remote controlling MADI devices behind a 12Mic (which works in AVB context)

I absolutely see the advantages of Auxdevice support (I use it with XTC regularly), and it would of course be a huge step in usability for the 12Mic.

Regarding those other MADI-based devices, remote control of e.g. the XTC ist only possible via a MIDI protocol (can also be MIDI-over-MADI of course) or USB, if I understand correctly.
If you can't control it via network/12Mic in the AVB version so far (which is one part of my question), I'm wondering whether the introduction of Dante opens up new possibilities here, since it's a "normal" IP-based network protocol (which AVB isn't), so maybe things like RTP-MIDI or any form of USB over Ethernet could be an idea for remote control of those MADI devices.
In the end it's a question of usage design, if there is something implemented in the 12Mic for this scenario.

6 (edited by damarco 2022-06-10 20:28:34)

No, both models can also be controlled with HTTP or MIDI over Ethernet. The protocol of the audio interface is irrelevant. With IEEE 1722.1, AVB comes with a standardized control protocol. Dante also has this option, but not publicly. It is also not used by manufacturers, I don't know why. Thanks to the NDA, RME won't be able to give us much information about this.

Unfortunately, RME unhappily copied the description of the 12Mic(-D) from the AVB version. Please revise the description again thoroughly. There is also no information on AES67 compatibility, which should be the case with Dante at 48 kHz.