Topic: Question about volume meter for the ADI-2 DAC

I recently noticed that the volume meter in my ADI-2 DAC FS has these vertical bars that almost look like some kind of "increments" shown in the picture below. I wasn't able to find any information about this in the manual and couldn't find a setting for it in my unit. Currently running the latest version 78/50 of the USB/DSP firmware.

Does anyone know what these lines represent?

https://i.imgur.com/Y4Tp2Re.png

Re: Question about volume meter for the ADI-2 DAC

It was added in recent firmware. I personally hate them and would like an option to turn that off.

3 (edited by KaiS 2022-06-05 07:34:47)

ajithsub wrote:

I recently noticed that the volume meter in my ADI-2 DAC FS has these vertical bars that almost look like some kind of "increments" shown in the picture below.

These are scale lines in 10 dB increments, except for the first (from right), which represents -5 dB.

@ning:
What’s a meter without a scale?
Well, just a flashing gimmick.

You find the same kind of scale lines in the analyzer screen above.

KaiS wrote:
ajithsub wrote:

I recently noticed that the volume meter in my ADI-2 DAC FS has these vertical bars that almost look like some kind of "increments" shown in the picture below.

These are scale lines in 10 dB increments, except for the first (from right), which represents -5 dB.

@ning:
What’s a meter without a scale?
Well, just a flashing gimmick.

You find the same kind of scale lines in the analyzer screen above.

Thank you!

5 (edited by ning 2022-06-05 09:54:33)

> @ning: What’s a meter without a scale? Well, just a flashing gimmick.

scale is fine. it's just the current rendering is ugly. MC told me i'll get used to it soon. but sorry, I've been watching it for half a year and still find it ugly.

It's not the scale, but the design that looks off. My ableton uses log scale as well in level meters and it's much more convincing.

> You find the same kind of scale lines in the analyzer screen above.

True, the spectrum also has (linear) scale on it, but the color palette choice is much prettier than the lower meters'. the subdued scale color looks nice, not odd.

Also there're already db values on the right of the level meters, I just don't find the scale helpful.

6 (edited by Curt962 2022-06-05 15:07:43)

Aji...,

Well!  Here's another opinion to add...

From my listening seat, I can't even SEE the vertical gradations.   They cause me no concern, but on those occasions when I am close to my ADI-2 DAC, I do appreciate the added information that they provide.   I have my reasons...  wink

The Screen is compact, and there is scant room for more elaborate metering, 3D animations, etc. wink

As a listener, how much information do I need?  I'm LISTENING...not analyzing...

For one, and on Those Occasions...I am amazed by the improved metering my RME has been given via firmware over time!   I applaud RME for efficiently displaying that information of greatest interest to me.  As I have no other profound ideas to offer, I quietly enjoy the refined things I already have.

Thanks for asking AJI!

Enjoy!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes