1 (edited by sberry2018 2022-06-05 11:32:49)

Topic: RME bit perfect test files - add them to lossless streaming services

Hi MC

As you know, music streaming is big and will continue to get bigger.

So streaming hardware will also just continue to grow in number.

Is there a way RME can upload bit perfect test files to just the lossless streaming services?

Amazon Ultra HD (FLAC)
Apple Music (ALAC)
Qobuz (FLAC)
Deezer (FLAC, only 44.1k)

This would be really useful testing to test a streamer and the streaming service itself.

There's no other way to check bit perfect-ness of these streaming services AND streaming device (other than using MQA which is there for all of those above but needs MQA DAC).

Re: RME bit perfect test files - add them to lossless streaming services

I think there is no demand / requirement for this

1. if you connect a turnkey device for streaming services
   - there is not the complexity of Windows or alike, it streams the content ...

2. if you connect the ADI-2 Pro to a PC or Apple
    There you have different applications sending audio.
     There you have the possibility to play such a test file which makes sense here

IMHO no need for such a device when using a dedicated device for streaming.
Most of the more complex devices have / support storage (USB Stick) or you can even rip a CD.
If you have such a device simply import the testfiles yourself.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by sberry2018 2022-06-05 13:22:15)

@ramses

Respectfully, I don't think you understand the post at all.

I assume you only use a Mac or Win PC, in which case that would explain everything.

And I'm not even asking for a dedicated device?

Import test files myself to Qobuz streaming service? Even this doesn't make any sense

4 (edited by Curt962 2022-06-05 14:13:50)

Sberry,

I see your objective here.  I live on Streaming!  Local Files, Paid Subscription Services, DAB, etc.

For your Local Files, you can simply add the RME Bit Test Files to your music server, and Fire at Will wink   I do this routinely after any system tweaks as a means of my own, in-house QA to ensure I haven't borked the data path in some manner

I think we potentially get into difficulties with Streaming Services like Tidal, Qobuz, et al.   Even their innocent application of Volume Normalization would cause a Bit Test Fail.

*although I'm not sure if Qobuz is normalizing anything, as Levels vary as widely as my own un-boogered Music collection. Qobuz is now my preferred Paid service.  They sound great, and I don't have to buy anything else. 

I suspect Amazon HD isn't so Lily-White, as in  comparison to the CD rip?  Amazon is loud!!!  (That, and their API is so locked up it's not useable by any device that isn't Amazon-enabled.   No Thank You! 
*Louder is always perceived as better to the listener.  I'm not falling into the "HD" trap. 

I like the your idea nonetheless.   It'd be fun to try!  Live & Learn.

Fwiw:  a friend offered to stream a bit test file on his station's DAB to test this very thing...but again, the Bit Test files would never succeed after all the EQ, Compression, Level tweaks, etc applied by any Broadcaster. 

So...

My $0.02. (Now worth approx $0.0175)

Stream on Friend!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Hi Curt

Thanks for the reply!

Regarding my local files - yes this is a non-issue at all.

Any reference I make to 'streaming' is 100% related to Amazon/Apple Music/Deezer/Qobuz - nothing local.

I actually can upload to RouteNote myself to submit to streaming services and this is free to me but I would get royalties. Which wouldn't be fair to RME... I doubt they would be happy for me to make royalties from it...

Hence my query to MC to do it...

Having said that, I imagine my royalties would be in the area of 'cents per decade' for these files but alas... LOL

Sberry,

Sure!  Why not let MC kick the idea around?   I'm certain that a $4 Royalty Check would be enticing. big_smile

It's a fun idea anyway, and the Bit-Test is such a fabulous tool we have!   No guesswork! 

Best,

Curt

7 (edited by ramses 2022-06-05 14:34:57)

sberry2018 wrote:

@ramses

Respectfully, I don't think you understand the post at all.

I assume you only use a Mac or Win PC, in which case that would explain everything.

And I'm not even asking for a dedicated device?

Import test files myself to Qobuz streaming service? Even this doesn't make any sense

You didn't understand my answer.
It has nothing to do with whether I use or use not streaming services.

I divided your proposal in several subcases and came to the conclusion that there is no real need for that.
The Bit Test is an end to end test which is only applicable in situation where things can be screwed up in a setup.

If you use streaming services on dedicated streaming devices, then its a turnkey solution which has not all those problems that can happen on a PC.
If you have a PC and use streaming services there, you can run the bittest from your local storage.

To sum up, I do not see the demand to upload the bittest to a streaming provider.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by Curt962 2022-06-05 16:30:24)

Sberry,

Let me be Devil's Advocate here for a moment...

We must also consider the 50,000 posts we will receive here from streaming service subscribers crying that their I-Phone won't pass Bit-Test.

It can't.

* A "Liner Note" explaining that the Test is RME Specific might help, but who reads?   Can they read?  If on-line product reviews are any indication, with all of their abominations of the English Language...I often Wonder...

Just saying...

Curt