1 (edited by tero 2022-06-06 19:05:45)

Topic: New ADI 2 Pro BE: No sound to any output from any input

Hi,

I just received a new ADI-2 Pro Black Edition, and got it set up (with firmware updated first).

I have used the DAC version before (though not owned). I have not owned the Pro version. I use it at a home HiFi setup with the possibility that I might use the analog inputs in the future.

The device is recognized by a Mac via USB and shows up as an audio output target. However, it will not play back any sound sent to that interface.

The same goes for Optical input: There is no sound output from the device. The display shows no bars (that is, the connectors are not to blame).

I have tried both Analog XLR out and headphone out 3/4. Neither output makes any difference with either input. I have also checked that the device is not muted (for what I understand). I have toggled between DAC, USB and other modes. No effect. I have switched the source from auto to Optical to USB with no effect.

At no point do I see any bars or other signal activity in the volume display.

The device starts to warm up when powered on.

How should I troubleshoot? I have previously had the DAC version on loan and it worked out of the box with minimal setup changes. So I am somewhat familiar with the UI.

Thanks,
Tero

Re: New ADI 2 Pro BE: No sound to any output from any input

When you plug in USB, do you see a message that it changed to USB mode? What does the Status Overview screen show? Is the unit present in the Audio MIDI Setup, Audio Window?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

When you plug in USB, do you see a message that it changed to USB mode? What does the Status Overview screen show? Is the unit present in the Audio MIDI Setup, Audio Window?

Well, I power-cycled both RME and the Mac, and RME now shows a USB mode on the display. It now also plays back sound from the Mac.

However, I still cannot get it to recognize any Toslink input.

I understand the Optical I/O port can also receive? If so, nothing happens when the source (e.g. a CD player) sends a signal. The Status overview display shows only lines, that is, not e.g. a 44.1kHz source being recognised. The same cable and source work with other Toslink ports on other devices. I am also jacking it in properly with a click after which it feels firmly in place.

I have now tried two different Toslink sources with two different cables. Nothing changes.Another DAC receives correctly from both with either cable.

I think the problem is in auto switching modes, as with USB selected it goes into USB DAC mode that's prioritized above the converter mode.

My guess is that if you'd disconnect USB it would go into AD/DA and you have the sound from the optical input.

Also see manual 5.2 Quick Start.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

6 (edited by KaiS 2022-06-06 23:19:23)

Set it to DAC mode:
SETUP / Options / Device Mode-DSD / Basic Mode: DAC

It‘s the most simple to use Mode.
I/O / Main Output 1/2 / AD/DA Source: selects the input for all.

Make sure not to use the wrong Optical Connector:
the one that does NOT light is the input, your CD player cable should show some light.

OK. I think I solved the issue with the help provided above:

I can make the Toslink input work in the DAC mode when connected to USB. On the other hand, if I disconnect the USB, the Toslink works automatically without my having to toggle the modes.

Thanks!

8 (edited by KaiS 2022-06-07 06:23:14)

tero wrote:

I can make the Toslink input work in the DAC mode when connected to USB. On the other hand, if I disconnect the USB, the Toslink works automatically without my having to toggle the modes.

When in DAC Mode you don‘t need to toggle the Mode, just switch to the desired input.

You can read about the different “Modes” in manual page 36 ff.
For home use the DAC Mode usually is the best.

Glad it worked out!

My fav mode for at home by the way is AD/DA.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC