1 (edited by kathampy 2022-01-19 07:43:47)

Topic: Ground noise when touching anything except ADI-2 DAC FS

I have an ADI-2 DAC FS connected only to the power adapter and optical input. I seem to be facing the opposite of a ground loop. When I'm not touching any surface, there is no noise. When I touch any metal surface I hear a buzzing from the headphones. However when I touch the ADI-2 DAC FS itself, there is no buzzing.

An outlet tester shows the wiring is correct, and the online UPS I use also says the wiring is correct. The issue persists even without the UPS.

This seems to happen only when my ears touch the magnets on the inside of my Audeze LCD-5 and LCD-XC headphones. If I push the earcups away the noise disappears even while touching a metal surface.

Re: Ground noise when touching anything except ADI-2 DAC FS

Fully normal. You run an ungrounded system with leakage current that can't go anywhere. The moment you offer yourself as ground it can flow over the phones and your body. Has been discussed and documented in this forum already.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by kathampy 2022-01-19 10:17:24)

MC wrote:

Fully normal. You run an ungrounded system with leakage current that can't go anywhere. The moment you offer yourself as ground it can flow over the phones and your body. Has been discussed and documented in this forum already.

Will grounding the ADI-2 DAC FS in some way help? Will connecting the USB cable act as a ground? It's kind of a nuisance as the noise is audible even when resting my hands on the table or keyboard.

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-06-19 16:33:15)

kathampy wrote:
MC wrote:

Will grounding the ADI-2 DAC FS in some way help? Will connecting the USB cable act as a ground? It's kind of a nuisance as the noise is audible even when resting my hands on the table or keyboard.

Typical AUDEZE and other planar magnetic ‘phones problem.

Indeed an extra ground wire connected to a screw of ADI-2 is the remedy, somthing like this:
https://www.conrad.com/p/wolfgang-warmb … et-1337382

https://asset.conrad.com/media10/isa/160267/c1/-/de/001337382PI00/wolfgang-warmbier-2200-113y-esd-erdungsbox-2-00-m-ringoese-4-mm.jpg?x=640&y=640&format=jpg&ex=640&ey=640&align=center

5 (edited by kathampy 2022-02-23 07:01:27)

I switched from optical to coaxial input to solve the ground noise.

To clarify - you removed the coaxial connection. That is a different grounding issue than the one discussed in this thread. The above connector might help - or not, hard to predict in that case.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by kathampy 2022-02-23 09:04:21)

MC wrote:

To clarify - you removed the coaxial connection. That is a different grounding issue than the one discussed in this thread. The above connector might help - or not, hard to predict in that case.

I am the original poster in this thread. I was using SPDIF optical input to the ADI-2 DAC before and that resulted in ground noise when touching any other surface. I switched to SPDIF coaxial instead of optical and the noise went away. I assume the coaxial cable acts as a ground through the source device.

8 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-23 12:20:58)

kathampy wrote:

I assume the coaxial cable acts as a ground through the source device.

Indeed ADI-2’s SPDIF Coax connector is linked to chassis/ground.

Worth to mention:
This is not in general the case with other devices (isolated and grounded Coax both exist), so it’s a bit of luck what happens.

• Coax can, but mustn’t connect to ground, hence may cause ground loop hum, or can solve hum caused by lack of grounding.

• Optical reliably isolates in case of ground loop related hum.

So, in case of hum problems, switching between Optical<>Coax is worth to try.
BTW: normal cheap audio cables fully work for SPDIF Coax.

In my case the source chain is (Coaxial) Fireface UCX II (USB) Thunderbolt hub (TB4 Cable) MacBook Pro. There seems to be a path to ground though none of these devices have a 3 pin plug.

kathampy wrote:

In my case the source chain is (Coaxial) Fireface UCX II (USB) Thunderbolt hub (TB4 Cable) MacBook Pro. There seems to be a path to ground though none of these devices have a 3 pin plug.

That‘s good luck.
Or maybe a secondary connection like network or such?

Those who need it can find their simple solution above.

I had this hum/buzz issue with my ADI-2 DAC FS + Audeze LCD-X when touching earcups (leakage currents flowing). I fixed it completely by putting an USB isolator before ADI-2 and replacing the stock power supply with a 3-prong medical-grade 12V AC/DC converter (which has ultra low leakage current specs).

12 (edited by KaiS 2022-06-19 16:33:35)

An extra ground wire connected to a screw of ADI-2 is the cost effective remedy, somthing like this:
https://www.conrad.com/p/wolfgang-warmb … et-1337382
https://asset.conrad.com/media10/isa/160267/c1/-/de/001337382PI00/wolfgang-warmbier-2200-113y-esd-erdungsbox-2-00-m-ringoese-4-mm.jpg?x=640&amp;y=640&amp;format=jpg&amp;ex=640&amp;ey=640&amp;align=center