Topic: Rack mounting ADI

Wondering how others have rack mounted their ADI other than just simply putting it on a shelf.  I dont see any holes on the sides for adding extenders, so please let me know what you have done.

Re: Rack mounting ADI

As mentioned in the manual a tub to mount it on is available (universal rackmount adapter).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC for the info, however, I don't see any mention of rack mounting options in the manual (I am using v3.1). I searched the manual for:
Rack
Mount
Rackmount
Universal
Adapter
Extenders

Nothing was found. 

When I search the RME web site, I come up with Rackmount RM19-II which are extenders but without holes on the sides of the ADI I can't use these. There is also a Unirack which is a shelf with holes for securing the ADI, I am trying to avoid the use of a shelf as it leaves gaps.  I don't see anything for a universal rackmount adapter.

https://www.thomannmusic.no/rme_halterung_19.htm Maybe this can work

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

5 (edited by KaiS 2022-06-20 17:49:48)

MatrixS2000 wrote:

When I search the RME web site, I come up with Rackmount RM19-II which are extenders but without holes on the sides of the ADI I can't use these. There is also a Unirack which is a shelf with holes for securing the ADI, I am trying to avoid the use of a shelf as it leaves gaps

I don‘t get what you call a “shelf”, once mounted it will not look like such.

You need to use ADI-2’s bottom screws to mount ADI-2 on the Universal 19“ Rackmount adapter.
This, of course, leaves 1/2 width of rack-space for something else.
I don’t see a different option for the ADI-2’s versions without screw-holes at the sides.

https://www.thomannmusic.no/rme_halterung_19.htm

https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/padthumb600x600/pics/bdb/154063/10604762_800.jpg
https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/padthumb600x600/pics/bdb/154063/10604752_800.jpg

Ive been looking to build a 4U 9.5" rack. Two things come to mind.

1. Dissipate heat from egg frying ADI-2 pro
2. Fastening of the devices into 9.5 rack trays

I have some casemod PC building skill. A 200mm slow moving fan could do and it would be virtually soundless.

Skeletonize the 9.5 racktrays. Take out the grinder and work it down so there is basically just enough to support the device ie. square holes on the sides(for the venting holes) and underneath. Spraypaint to black..

The devices could be fastened with two, 1 cm flat bars on top. drilled and threaded to the sides of the racktrays. Put some cork between bar and device.

UCX and DAC can sit right over each other, they dont get that warm. A 1U spacer
between PRO on top and the two devices below. Maybe a four hole patchbay spacer with some XLR I/O.

Since the devices are convection cooled, i want the fan to blow at bottom or top of PRO. Not pushing dust into device

Put a nice walnut wood base to it and some hq dampened feet. Maybe a way to secure it to my table top.

Build a padded playwood box to put the whole shebang in, with a handle on top. for portability to my cabin.

These are the points I have worked out for my rig. Ofcourse there would be technical and esthetical conserns to be solved along the way. PSU for fan etc.

This will basically solve some things for me. No slipping around when im changing plugs or working the encoders. Secure portability.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

KaiS wrote:

I don‘t get what you call a “shelf”, once mounted it will not look like such.

This, of course, leaves 1/2 width of rack-space for something else.

Sorry I should have been more specific.  The space you mention here is what I was calling a gap.  I don't have anything else to mount next to it, so I will have a space.  Rack ears would avoid this, but it looks like I have no choice and will have to create something to fill in the space.  Not a big issue.

Happy_amateur wrote:

Ive been looking to build a 4U 9.5" rack. Two things come to mind.

1. Dissipate heat from egg frying ADI-2 pro
2. Fastening of the devices into 9.5 rack trays

I have some casemod PC building skill. A 200mm slow moving fan could do and it would be virtually soundless.

Skeletonize the 9.5 racktrays. Take out the grinder and work it down so there is basically just enough to support the device ie. square holes on the sides(for the venting holes) and underneath. Spraypaint to black..

The devices could be fastened with two, 1 cm flat bars on top. drilled and threaded to the sides of the racktrays. Put some cork between bar and device.

UCX and DAC can sit right over each other, they dont get that warm. A 1U spacer
between PRO on top and the two devices below. Maybe a four hole patchbay spacer with some XLR I/O.

Since the devices are convection cooled, i want the fan to blow at bottom or top of PRO. Not pushing dust into device

Put a nice walnut wood base to it and some hq dampened feet. Maybe a way to secure it to my table top.

Build a padded playwood box to put the whole shebang in, with a handle on top. for portability to my cabin.

These are the points I have worked out for my rig. Ofcourse there would be technical and esthetical conserns to be solved along the way. PSU for fan etc.

This will basically solve some things for me. No slipping around when im changing plugs or working the encoders. Secure portability.

For cooling (will also solve PSU for fan):

https://www.amazon.ca/AC-Infinity-AIRPL … mp;sr=8-65

You can mount the sensor on top of the ADI and have the included fan controller adjust fan speed as the adi heats up.

"For cooling (will also solve PSU for fan):

https://www.amazon.ca/AC-Infinity-AIRPL … mp;sr=8-65

You can mount the sensor on top of the ADI and have the included fan controller adjust fan speed as the adi heats up."

Those fans are a bit too much for my idea perhaps. But I like the temperature sensor idea. Im building a shopping cart for rack parts as we speak. I have some Noctua fans lying here. A nice rainy day project smile

link in above post is broken

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

Second over works