Topic: Need driver / ASIO help (RME Noob - Handle with care)

So, let me start by saying I am a computer guy - Network Admin during the day and PC enthusiast at all other times.

However, this RME is a little more complicated than I anticipated and therefore I need help to resolve two issues.

1) with the ASIO driver / software installed I can no longer select anything beyond 380k sample rate - if I do the device becomes unrecognized (no device) in windows device manager. Additionally, variable rate is not functioning since windows is handling the audio processing.

2) the device is now showing up as an analog device in the windows sound manager.  And I cannot select beyond 24 bit or any other format other than what I select in the "MADIface" software. Currently I've selected 380k / 16k sample.

Prior to MADIFace install these two issues did not exist. I would ideally like to enjoy the variable rate the RME is capable of instead of locking it a specified sample / bit rate.

Bonus: can anyone tell me how to get asio working with itunes once I get the first two issues resolved?

Re: Need driver / ASIO help (RME Noob - Handle with care)

Regarding itunes, ever tried MusicBee? Has ASIO support and supports change of sample rates well.
DSD is IMHO overrated. 44.1 gives you all you need. If you have > 44.1 fair enough .. but nothing more than 96 kHz really required.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by brandonr91 2022-06-27 21:40:42)

ramses wrote:

Regarding itunes, ever tried MusicBee? Has ASIO support and supports change of sample rates well.
DSD is IMHO overrated. 44.1 gives you all you need. If you have > 44.1 fair enough .. but nothing more than 96 kHz really required.

I have some issues with the suggestion, but I do appreciate it. See my reasoning below.

All my music is in apple music because I am subscribed to it. It's taken me years to build out my library via this subscription. I am not feeling too fond of the idea of moving towards another platform unless it (that platform) can play my apple music.
Note: this is different than iTunes in that I do not own any of the content even though I can download the media to my connected devices.

Then the next issue. I like my DSD to match - people say you can't hear it, but I can hear more subtle nuances on my LCD-X and LCD-3's when the bitrate / sample rate is higher. 192 - 380k seems to produce a better sound that resolves with great clarity vs lower sample / bitrates.

What‘s wrong with uninstalling the Madiface driver and run ADI-2 in Class Compliant mode?

Use any other computer for occasional firmware updates.

5 (edited by brandonr91 2022-06-28 03:48:53)

I don't know that there's anything wrong with doing this. Though, I do like the idea of my dac doing all the audio processing via usb - this is one less complication in the audio chain to sonic perfection.

Can you explain pros and cons of not having MADIface? I really hate to put you on the spot, but I am a total RME noob and amateur Audio-person (I cannot claim I am an audiophile).

6 (edited by KaiS 2022-06-28 06:43:51)

If your player soft, like iTunes, doesn‘t support ASIO, the MadiFace driver comes in the way of sample rate switching, as you found out.

Then better use ADI-2 in Class Compliant mode.
The driver has to be uninstalled and deleted for CC mode to work.
This is a Windows limitation, you either have it one way or the other, but not both at the same time.

The MadiFace driver is needed for firmware updates on PC only, this is why I suggest to use a different computer for this occasion.
Serves you from removing the driver after.

Search “class compliant” in the manual for more information.

ADI-2 DAC manual page 42:

De-installing the Driver

... can be found (like all de-installation entries) in Control Panel, Programs and Features. Click on the entry 'RME MADIface', then Uninstall.

To use Windows own Class Compliant drivers the RME driver has to be removed completely (for example after a firmware update). In Device Manager select the ADI-2 DAC under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, right click and choose Uninstall. In the next dialog make sure to check 'Delete the driver software for this device'. Otherwise the driver will stay within the Windows installation and gets reinstalled automatically after the next reboot.

KaiS wrote:

If your player soft, like iTunes, doesn‘t support ASIO, the MadiFace driver comes in the way of sample rate switching, as you found out.

Then better use ADI-2 in Class Compliant mode.
The driver has to be uninstalled and deleted for CC mode to work.
This is a Windows limitation, you either have it one way or the other, but not both at the same time.

The MadiFace driver is needed for firmware updates on PC only, this is why I suggest to use a different computer for this occasion.
Serves you from removing the driver after.

Search “class compliant” in the manual for more information.

ADI-2 DAC manual page 42:

De-installing the Driver

... can be found (like all de-installation entries) in Control Panel, Programs and Features. Click on the entry 'RME MADIface', then Uninstall.

To use Windows own Class Compliant drivers the RME driver has to be removed completely (for example after a firmware update). In Device Manager select the ADI-2 DAC under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, right click and choose Uninstall. In the next dialog make sure to check 'Delete the driver software for this device'. Otherwise the driver will stay within the Windows installation and gets reinstalled automatically after the next reboot.

Thank you for the info. I will keep this in mind and look up class complaint as per the manual. Thank you.