Topic: Is the display on the AKM models of ADI-2 DAC FS OLED or IPS etc.?

Hi Guys.

I bought my ADI-2 DAC FS gen 2. from the first batch that showed up at Thomann.de. I had thought the display was OLED and because of that, have not been enjoying the display for fear of screen burn.

Is there a definitive word on what type of display (OLED, IPS, etc.) is used on those models?

Thank you.

Re: Is the display on the AKM models of ADI-2 DAC FS OLED or IPS etc.?

tubeaudio wrote:

Hi Guys.

I bought my ADI-2 DAC FS gen 2. from the first batch that showed up at Thomann.de. I had thought the display was OLED and because of that, have not been enjoying the display for fear of screen burn.

Is there a definitive word on what type of display (OLED, IPS, etc.) is used on those models?

Thank you.

RME has been using these displays for a long time, according to posts here, and they certainly are not OLED. Looking at displays from the sides they are not likely to be IPS either due to color/contrast shift.

Personally OLED is far from ready to be in these types of devices intended to be useful for many years of 24h usage.

Muffin wrote:

RME has been using these displays for a long time, according to posts here, and they certainly are not OLED. Looking at displays from the sides they are not likely to be IPS either due to color/contrast shift.

Somebody pointed me to the manual (not sure which version) that says the display is IPS. So I really don't know, but I hope somebody can solve the mystery.

Muffin wrote:

Personally OLED is far from ready to be in these types of devices intended to be useful for many years of 24h usage.

Agreed, and yet Mytek uses them, I have a Brooklyn DAC+ and it is a gorgeous build on all counts. But I set the display timer to 30 seconds so I don't burn it.

tubeaudio wrote:
Muffin wrote:

Somebody pointed me to the manual (not sure which version) that says the display is IPS. So I really don't know, but I hope somebody can solve the mystery.

Muffin wrote:

Agreed, and yet Mytek uses them, I have a Brooklyn DAC+ and it is a gorgeous build on all counts. But I set the display timer to 30 seconds so I don't burn it.

Sure, it's more than likely I could be wrong that the displays are not IPS.

As for a screen timeout to protect the display I think is a no-go for the RME pro market that expect the display to always be on and working year after year. The ADI-2 DAC/Pro can turn off the display but that is more for usage in a dark environment that to protect the display as such. I've the display always on my ADI-2 DAC, but I do use the auto standby set to two hours.

5 (edited by tubeaudio 2022-06-30 21:42:54)

Yeah this makes sense. Although Mytek was a pro audio company at one time, it feels like the Brooklyn line was the beginning of the end and now they're pure consumer audio.

Gentlemen,

Relax!  The RME Display is IPS as described in the User Manual.  It's Broad Viewing Angle should be ample evidence.

Don't worry about "Screen Burn" as my well-used, and  nearly 4yr old ADI-2 DAC exhibits NO screen anomalies.

Enjoy Freely!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Thank you, Curt! smile

8 (edited by KaiS 2022-07-01 08:41:19)

ADI-Pro‘s manual clearly states “IPS”, page 6, 7 and 32.

No burn-in on my years old ADI-2 Pro either.

Yup, there is nothing to worry about.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Curt962 wrote:

Gentlemen,

Relax!  The RME Display is IPS as described in the User Manual.  It's Broad Viewing Angle should be ample evidence.

Don't worry about "Screen Burn" as my well-used, and  nearly 4yr old ADI-2 DAC exhibits NO screen anomalies.

Enjoy Freely!

Curt

Note to self: Remember to check the manual first.