Topic: EQ vs B/T

Hello, I have ADI-2 PRO FS R BE with the following settings:
EQ = OFF; B/T = ON; LD = ON; Load B/T with Preset = ON.
When the input signal sampling frequency changes, then B/T switches to OFF.
I don't know if that's right, but I don't think so.

All the best and thank you, Stanislav

Re: EQ vs B/T

written very clearly in manual, both in sec 8.8 page 16:

Pro:

At sample rates 352.8 kHz and up the Bass, Treble and Loudness function is deactivated.
The number of available EQ channels is reduced to 2 (1 x stereo). EQ can still be used with
Analog Input, Main Output 1/2 or Phones Out 3/4, but only one of these.
At sample rates 705.6 kHz and up Crossfeed or EQ (1 x stereo) can be active, not both at the
same time.

DAC:
At sample rates 705.6 kHz and up Crossfeed or EQ can be active, not both at the same time.
Bass/Treble and Loudness are not available.

Of course I know this, but this happens even at low sample rates, e.g. when changing from 48kHz to 96kHz.

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-07-04 19:26:13)

AdamS3V wrote:

Of course I know this, but this happens even at low sample rates, e.g. when changing from 48kHz to 96kHz.

Never seen this on my ADI-2 Pro (firmware V.113).
Do you have the latest firmware V.115 installed?

Yes, I have V. 116.

AdamS3V wrote:

Yes, I have V. 116.

Did this happen before firmware update?

I don't know, but it has to do with the B/T integration into the EQ (Load B/T with Preset = ON) and with settings EQ = OFF.
When I set: Load B/T with Preset = OFF or EQ = ON, then everything works normally.

OK, I can reproduce this.

@MC:
This should be changed.
The combination B/T ON, while EQ is OFF, should survive sample rate changes, and other actions like unplugging and replugging ‘phones.

Currently it doesn’t.

Thank you very much for your answer. It was not a complaint from me but only a contribution. I admire your work and have ADI-2 PRO FS R BE, ADI-2 PRO AE and looking forward to ADI-2/4 PRO FS. I wish you only the best. Stanislav.

The combination B/T On and EQ Off while Load B/T with Preset is On does not make sense and therefore causes the mentioned behaviour. Fact is if you turn off EQ that moment B/T is automatically turned off as well - because Load Preset with B/T is set to On, and that moment B/T is part of the PEQ.

We did not restrict the user to then activate B/T manually, via menu or remote. But during  a sample rate change the EQ is reset to adapted values, notices B/T should be off, and sets it that way.

The only way to fix this in a fully logical way is to no longer allow to manually turn B/T On in the above setup. But I am pretty sure this will cause more support requests about something that seems broken than the current scheme...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

When a device changes intentional user setting on it‘s own, then this feels like an error too.
This is why this topic started, and I feel the same.

I understand there is a reset at various situations, but can‘t the setting just be left untouched, or noted and restored during such reset?

12 (edited by KaiS 2022-07-19 21:15:38)

Workaround for this problem:

If you have:
• “Load B/T w. Preset“ enabled in the EQ menu,
AND EQ is switched OFF,

Bass/Treble is switched OFF with every change.

To avoid this, but don’t want the EQ change your sound:
• Switch ON EQ,
• Load a flat Preset, e.g. No. 21, “Clear”.