Topic: Switching from USB to Analog

Now I tuned my USB (streamer) input and my Analog (turntable) input so that I have approximally equal volume when I switch between the two, I thought it is time to activate the DAC mode, so I can use the remote to do the switching.

In the manual however I saw that in DAC mode the analog input uses the last used USB sample rate. In other words the optimal sample rate for the turntable of 192kHz isn’t automatically chosen and the sample rate gets unpredictable.

Is it right that there isn’t another way to fix this, other then switch the RME in the auto mode, switch off the streamer so that the preamp mode is automatically chosen for the analog input. (To be honest, this would be a workable solution, because a listening session for me is either digital or analog. The remote would still be easier)

2 (edited by ramses 2022-08-01 10:20:16)

Re: Switching from USB to Analog

Maybe in your case the Pro model with the sample rate converter (SRC) would have been useful, then you could leave the turntable at 192 kHz independent of any other sample rate being used towards the PC.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

With pro model you don’t mean the ADI2 pro fs be?

4 (edited by ramses 2022-08-01 10:19:50)

Any ADI-2 Pro, the latest model with the new remote: ADI-2 Pro FS R BE.

Model comparison, see also here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … ses-en-de/
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32506

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by KaiS 2022-07-31 22:38:53)

johanj wrote:

... my Analog (turntable) input so ... I thought it is time to activate the DAC mode, so I can use the remote to do the switching.

In the manual however I saw that in DAC mode the analog input uses the last used USB sample rate. In other words the optimal sample rate for the turntable of 192kHz isn’t automatically chosen and the sample rate gets unpredictable.

Switching Setups, assigned to remote buttons, might be the way to go.
For Analog input a Setup using the “Preamp Mode” (manual page 37) is well suited.

I have the pro fs be in dac mode and it too always uses last sample rate.
It‘ no big deal as you won‘t be able to tell the difference between sample rates anyway.

At least my 60 years old ears won‘t! smile

john34 wrote:

I have the pro fs be in dac mode and it too always uses last sample rate.
It‘ no big deal as you won‘t be able to tell the difference between sample rates anyway.

At least my 60 years old ears won‘t! smile

You are so right John, mine are even 5 years older… I guess anything above 8kHz is nearly gone. Luckely my brain can compensate a lot…

The tip of Ramses, I gonna check tomorrow, that could probably work… thanks

8 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-03 08:26:45)

ramses wrote:

Maybe in your case the Pro model with the sample rate converter (SRC) would have been useful, then you could leave the turntable at 192 kHz independent of any other sample rate being used towards the PC.

johan wrote:

The tip of Ramses, I gonna check tomorrow, that could probably work…

I don’t think this will work.
SRC is for the Optical/Coax SPDIF and AES inputs only.

You are dealing with USB/PC and Analog/Vinyl Turntable.
SPDIF / AES is not involved.

Switching the “Modes”, DAC - Preamp, will do for sure, and this can be done with “Setups”, see manual page 30.
These Setups can be assigned to buttons on the remote by the function “Remap Keys”.

Manual page 27:
Remap Keys
VOL Key, I/O Key, EQ Key, SETUP Key, IR Key 5-7.
Available functions/actions:
Setup 1 to 9,...

Manual page 100 gives an example:
In the same menu you can now load Setup 1 or Setup 2. A direct switching between these two setups/states without having to go into the menu can be accomplished via Remap Function Keys, in the menu SETUP - Options - SPDIF / Remap Keys. After activating the entry Remap Keys (ON), the entries below are no longer grayed out. Setup 1 and Setup 2 can now be assigned to the VOL and I/O keys, for example.

After that pressing the VOL button loads Setup 1, that is, the USB mode, and pressing I/O loads Setup 2, the 'Digital In' mode.

@KaiS: good point, I thought he has another digital connection than USB (like e.g., SPDIF).

As a side note, SRC seems to work not only for SPDIF but also for AES, check configuration options at the device:

ADI-2 FS R BE, Firmware v116:

Options -> SPDIF/Remap Keys -> SRC -> OFF | AES In | SPDIF In

Thanx, included AES to my posting.
Precision is important for others reading along here.

+1

12 (edited by johanj 2022-08-05 08:42:25)

As mentioned in my initial post I struggled with using USB and Preamp in DAC mode. When you switch from USB to Turntable the Preamp takes over the last used sample rate of USB.
The suggestion was made to make two different Setups, one for USB and one for Preamp mode and remapping the Setups to the remote. This doesn't solve the problem because as long USB is connected the preamp takes over the sample rate of the last used rate in USB. Even if you have set the clock to the desired sample rate in the Preamp Setup it is switching back to the USB rate.

In the use case where you have a USB streaming device and a Turntable, you have three option when using DAC mode and you want to switch from lets say USB to Preamp:
1. Just accept the USB sample rate for your vinyl (could be a bit low when you last played 44.1kHz in the last USB session)
2. Turn the streamng server off. The DAC mode will immediatly detect the preamp mode in its default sample rate of 192Khz.
3. As an alternative, if you don't want to turn down your USB device, just play the RME testfile in the sample rate you want to use for the Analog mode. The sample rate switches right away (even if your turntable is allready running). For me a sample rate of 96kHZ for vinyl is fine.

For me this case is closed. I learned a lot about the device, sample rates, making setups and assigning setups to buttons. So all this was very worthwhile for me.
Thanks for all your input and help!