Topic: Mac DigiCheck NG v 0.89 Beta 1 now available for download

After the former preview thread started with v0.85 and already has 4 pages I thought it’s time for a new thread. And waddayaknow there is something to celebrate! DigiCheck NG v0.89 now displays playback channels, a feature that so far was only available on Windows via our ASIO driver.

!!! But wait: this feature requires the new USB DriverKit driver, version 4.04 or up !!!

So on older macOS and older kernel drivers (3.27…) this feature is not available in DigiCheck NG. It is also currently not available with the Thunderbolt DriverKit driver.

If you use USB DK driver 4.04 you will see a new checkbox in the Audio Device Setup dialog, Add Playback Channels. These are then available in the Input Selection dialog’s list. For a quicker selection the Global Level Meter got two buttons to show inputs, outputs or both in the list.

Also note the Incremental button that helps to quickly fill the multi-channel instruments with all needed channels after selecting just the first one.

For ADI users: it should be clear that DC NG's new Playback feature is not working with ADI-2 Pro and DAC as these do not use driver 4.04 (any driver). Please continue to use the included Loopback functionality with the deivce to analyze playback data.

Besides many smaller improvements DC NG also got a new Instrument, Frequency Measurement. This is just a preview and proof-of-concept. It will get some more nice options and displays in the next versions. Please note this is basically for single tones, with normal music it won't show much useful information. Although I managed to measure the lowest bass frequencies successfully in my earth shaking music collection wink

Download  0.89 B1
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/digi … _089b1.zip

USB DriverKit driver 4.04:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35444

The former thread about DigiCheck NG is here::
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30796

Thanks for trying!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

2 (edited by ollv 2022-06-18 13:58:14)

Re: Mac DigiCheck NG v 0.89 Beta 1 now available for download

Thanks! Great update!

https://i.ibb.co/nz7JhXc/Bildschirmfoto-2022-06-18-um-13-29-59.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/Sdb3WYW/Bildschirmfoto-2022-06-18-um-13-56-51.png

MacBook Air M1
macOS 12.4
Babyface Pro FS FW v200 D v4.04
TotalMix 1.77 - DigiCheck NG 0.89 beta

Thanks!

The "Add Playback Inputs Feature" works very well on my FF802.

Also the "Frequency Measurement" Instrument is useful for me to figure out the most dominant frequencies.

From the Help:

Strategy – gibt vor, ob die Frequenz des Signals mit dem höchsten Pegel gemessen werden soll oder bei Signalen mit Oberwellen bis zu einer sinnvollen Pegeldifferenz die Frequenz der Grundwelle angezeigt werden soll.

If the Strategy is set to Maximum Level - it means it just shows the most dominant frequency by peak level - right?

If the Strategy is set to Supress K2&K3 - Ok
My Question in German: Es geht um die Oberwellen K2 und K3. Klar - Ab wann ist die Pegeldifferenz der Grundwelle zu den Oberwellen lt DigiCheck "sinnvoll"? Würde es gerne den Unterschied besser verstehen. Potentiell sinnvolle Szenarien finden sich bestimmt.

It will get some more nice options and displays in the next versions.

Very interested what the more Options wil be :-)

Regards, maggie

1. Yes, just the peak level.

2. An example is guitar tuning. Then supressing the harmonics helps find the correct value. This is NOT a working guitar tuner (right now), and it was not planned to be one in the future. Might still happen, though.

3. Harmonics are correctly detectedf if they are at least 10 dB lower in level than the fundamental. That value might get adjustable in a later version.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias,

ok i understand...

maybe off topic here - just a hint for you and the RME - the Drivers and Software are constantly developed. And very stable...

My personal expirience: what i am missing is a detailed Documentation, sometimes. I miss the Links which point to the coresponding pages in the overview of my FF802 pdf docu... no overview (inhaltsverzeichnis) in there...  Also the TMFX and DigiCheck Help from the Menu is not really straight-forward... I have to search every expression throgh the whole help...

A nice feature would be to add a dynamical help (like in Logic Pro?) where you can hover over the items/knobs/menus/settings/etc and then a short help appears to explain the basics, and a link to the corresponding help section if you want to get more detailed info.

Sure - Features/functions I use everyday are clear - but sometimes I have to spend a lot of time, google it, if i want to try a new workflow/feature...

regards, maggie

Hello,
the Version 0.89 beta 1. don't allows activation of the playback Chanels on my babyface pro FS.
greets,
3p

Have you added playback channels as an option?

Menu>Options>Audio Device SeTup>Add Playback Device (check box at top of panel).

It's all in the first post!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great Matthias. I've just tried it an playback channels works great thank you!

10 (edited by mattrixx 2022-07-20 04:02:05)

Hi Matthias,
4.04beta installed and running well. Have installed DC NG v 0.89 and I am unable to check the "Add Playback Channel" check box.
(Fireface UFXII)   (Mac OS 12.4 Mac studio Ultra)

https://www.evernote.com/l/AKxu6PIoahNFXZlVHsVGdmXx8vQESM70RyQB/image.png

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS12.4
----------------

Yay, thats so awesome!!!! Monitoring of playback channels works again!!!!!! smile))

My specs: digicheck NG 0.89 beta 1 (1)
UCX: Fw v49, USB Driver v4.04 beta (cf. Matthias links above)
Mac Mini M1, MacOS 12.5.

Huge thanks and great job RME!!!