Topic: Assigning setup to Buttons.

I made two setups on my ADI2 pro fs BE.
Setup 1: mode preamp, clock 96kHz
Setup 2: usb mode,
Switching between the two through the menu setup, load 1, or load 2 is working. However after switching back from USB to the setup 1 mode the stored clock is not changed and stays on the last USB value. But this isn’t the topic of this post.

I follow the assigning procedure of the manual to store the two setups under the buttons Vol. And I/O, by switching the Remap button from Remote to On and then assigning the setups to the buttons.
After leaving the setup menu, pushing short the Vol. Button a message tells me to confirm the choise by pushing the button a second time, and it switches to the assigned setup.
After pushing the I/O button I get the normal action of that button. Trying Vol. again gives me the normal volume screen.
Checking the remap function in setup reveals the original settings of the two buttons and not the chosen setups.

Anyone an idea what goes wrong?

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-04 06:41:23)

Re: Assigning setup to Buttons.

Sorry, forgot to mention:

The button assignment isn’t global, but part of each Setup.
This way you can even have different button assignments in each Setup - a nice feature that we can use for the following:

Choose ONE single button that you usually don’t need.

In Setup 1 assign: “load Setup 2”
In Setup 2 assign: “load Setup 1”

Now this single button toggles between both Setups.

This method can be extended to load even more Setups if needed, like:

In Setup 1 assign: “load Setup 2”
In Setup 2 assign: “load Setup 3”
In Setup 3 assign: “load Setup 4”
In Setup 4 assign: “load Setup 1”

Now the single button circles through Setup 1-4, clever, isn’t it?!

Hello Kais,
Thank you for your reply and also your post in the post 'Switching from USB to Analog'
To be honest is this exactly what I did, i read the manual carfully and I think I have taken the right steps.
To be clear, the problem is not assigning setup to a button, but after an initial working push it goes back to its original setting.

As a test I defined two setups
Under 'Store 1' I defined Preamp and clock 96.
Under 'Store 2" I defined Preamp and clock 192
I can switch manually between 'Load setup 1' and 'Load setup 2'
The clock is indeed switching as expected and working well.

Asigning setup to the keys.

• I put the remap function to 'On'
    Go to the button 'Vol' and assign Setup 1
    The same for 'I/O' for Setup 2

I leave the menu and push the button Vol:

• It says that I have to confirm the choise by pushing the button again (i can't find this anywhere in the manual)
    When I push a second time, indeed setup 1 is loaded.
    When I push I/O it gives me the standard assigned option and not Setup 2.
    Checking the Remap settings indeed the Vol. and I/O button don't show Setup 1 and 2 but the standard settings

What do I do wrong, or is this a bug?

A Setup includes all settings, even the remap keys. You have to make sure that in every Setup both button assignments are set, or one Setup will reset the remap key assignment. Here Setup 1 which did not include remap button 2.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Kaïs and MC... thank you for your answer, but i might even be more confused. I just don't see the logic in this yet.

Good to know is that I followed the exact procedure from the manual on page 99. Only there the difference was between switching between USB and AD/DA, but I guess that shouldn't make a difference.

If I add your post to the info on the procedure of page 99 I have to interpret it the following way?:
Before configuring 'Store 1', I allready in 'Remap' configured 'Setup 1' under the Vol. button and "Setup 2' under the I/O button?
Following the same procedure for Setup 2?

For Kaïs:
You say in your post 'Choose a button' .... Do you mean push the button physically before configuring Store 1? So the button is a part of the device state when you store to setup? In that case I understand you looping....

I hope I have it right...

6 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-04 13:36:00)

johanj wrote:

For Kaïs:
You say in your post 'Choose a button' .... Do you mean push the button physically before configuring Store 1? So the button is a part of the device state when you store to setup? In that case I understand you looping..

The current state of the device in all details is what’s stored in a Setup.
Pushing the button before remapping it‘s function it is not advised.

I meant for convenience, on the remote or front panel, in your mind select (or choose) one button that you do not usually need.
Then remap it‘s function in both Setups to recall the other Setup.

Thanks Kaïs,
I think I have it working…
Vol. Gives me setup 2, pushing Vol.in setup 2 gives me setup 1…
So I understand now that the action (where to go) of pushing a button is part of the setup definition…
Took me a while.

Looking at the procedure at page 99 doesn’t made this clear. You have to remap the button first before storing the setup.  I guess, you guys telling me this all the time…. 

johanj wrote:

I think I have it working…
Vol. Gives me setup 2, pushing Vol.in setup 2 gives me setup 1…
... You have to remap the button first before storing the setup. ….

I though about adding the line “don’t forget to store the Setup before switching”, but had to leave for something before I could.

Now you found out, nice it works for you smile

Thanks Kaïs,
For me a sentence like that would have been crucial.
Maybe you want to take a look at the procedure in the manual at the bottom of page 99.
I think a change in the manual is necessairy to understand that remapping a setup to a button must be done before storing the Setup.
This whole paragraph of the manual is clearly written for the hifi enthousiast using RME. Mostly, at least in my case, they aren't that technical as most engineers using the RME devices.
I must say that I never saw such an exceptional well written manual, but sometimes you need to gather the total information about a subject at different places with a risk to miss crucial information. That makes the learning curve quiet high. But I enjoy it! smile

I will post my findings in the other related topic in using setup to switch from preamp to usb vice versa...