1 (edited by RMEfanboy 2022-08-03 09:03:24)

Topic: How to connect ADI-2 fs along with UFX mk1 right...?

So I am getting my head around right,
my issue with UFX mk1 is:
- I am connecting its AES/EBU to Genelec SAM DSP monitors for digital output connection smile

So, there, I have spent my only AES connection out of my UFX mk1 right?

And I want the conversion heavy lifting done by ADI-2 fs converter.

So now, which digital connection can I use to use ADI-2 fs along with my UFX mk1...?

- Would it be adat...? or would it be spidif...?

Also I notice I have 2 Adats i/o back of my UFX mk1, so if I connect ADI-2 fs with 'one' adat,

does this mean I have another adat left over to use later on?

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzkmiP-eLek&t=349s
as this video.

But I want to know whether my UFX digital i/o connections are 'all' separately 'independant' you see...?

2 (edited by vinark 2022-08-03 09:17:56)

Re: How to connect ADI-2 fs along with UFX mk1 right...?

All is independent, so 2X2 optical 2x1 aes. 1 optical can be switched to Spdif. There is no advantage to any choice. Just use an optical in and out. leave it at adat or set it to spdif, does not matter and yes the other adat in and out is still usable.
Of course if you ever need 16 adat channels just connect the genelecs with analog, either from the ufx or the ADI and the ADI to AES. Also in outs don't have to be used in pairs, so you could also connect the ADI AES out to the UFX AES in and have 2 adat ins free.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

3 (edited by RMEfanboy 2022-08-03 11:17:12)

vinark wrote:

All is independent, so 2X2 optical 2x1 aes. 1 optical can be switched to Spdif. There is no advantage to any choice. Just use an optical in and out. leave it at adat or set it to spdif, does not matter and yes the other adat in and out is still usable.
Of course if you ever need 16 adat channels just connect the genelecs with analog, either from the ufx or the ADI and the ADI to AES. Also in outs don't have to be used in pairs, so you could also connect the ADI AES out to the UFX AES in and have 2 adat ins free.

Thank you, vinark! I am planning on getting ADI-2 fs as I only am looking for conversion upgrade! Sounds perfect for my setup smile (Also because it is more budget-friendly and I would not need all the features from ADI-2 pro FS)

Though I would not utilize ADI-2 fs's D to A right...? since I only use DSP genelec monitors through AES.
But still A to D would be better with this smile (my UFX mk1 is good but I am sure ADI-2 fs would be sonically better!)

Perhaps, I can utilize ADI-2 fs's D to A conversion for analog processing along the chain (e.g. while mixing)

Am I correct that, UFX mk1's 'digital' out and ADI-2 fs's digital out, if ditial, the quality stays the same...??
(*Yes, I am trying my very first AES connection with my digital monitors and I heard that, unlike a/d d/a conversion, digital connection are all the same?! e.g. AES, Spidif, Adat)

Sorry I am very new to digital connection smile

Everything you say is correct. And yes the ad quality is better, lower noise and less distortion, but if you will hear a difference is another story. You would need incredibly good sources to hear a difference. All RME gear is designed with neutral sound quality so basically sounds the same.
In reality converter quality is a very very small part of perceived sound quality. Sources mics rooms speakers and processing are 1000 times more influential.

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

Everything you say is correct. And yes the ad quality is better, lower noise and less distortion, but if you will hear a difference is another story. You would need incredibly good sources to hear a difference. All RME gear is designed with neutral sound quality so basically sounds the same.
In reality converter quality is a very very small part of perceived sound quality. Sources mics rooms speakers and processing are 1000 times more influential.

Thank you again Vinark!
Yes yes, I am self-taught musician who is also training/studying mixing and mastering myself and I have fairly good setup and.. just wanting to get clean, good conversion, not that I complain about my UFX mk1 (still amazing) but just to be 'future-proof' you know! smile

And also ADI-2 fs <-- price seems really good also I do not have to ditch my UFX mk1 haha
Though the new UCX ii is very tempting~!

Thanks again what you said in the last sentence sounds totally right smile yeah I just have been using my mk1 almost 10 years and this thing deserves slightly upgraded conversion as a gift smile thanks~!

Great! Hope you get it soon.

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

Great! Hope you get it soon.

Hello Vinark! if you don't mind, I have one more question about UFX usb setting,
you know where it says, ADAT2 Output and AES Input Source right?

I've been always curious, why it just says ADAT2? but not ADAT1 and ADAT2...? since I have 2 ADAT i/o, no?

I believe only adat 2 is switchable to spdif optical.
Cheers!

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

I believe only ADAT 2 is switchable to SPDIF optical.
Cheers!

True and if I remember right, if you change the protocol from ADAT to SPDIF, then the ports AES and ADAT2 are bridged,
see also block diagram in the manual.

But it should be no issue for connecting ADI-2 DAC / Pro as they also support ADAT format (and if I remember right also the ADI-2 FS, please check manual).

If I remember right you told me that vinark, thanks again for this useful tip! :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by RMEfanboy 2022-08-14 09:12:19)

Just a quicky q here ! if I am interested in, summing smile

- I have UFX mk1 analog out, total of 8 channels now since I am now using AES for monitors.
- ADI-2 fs 2 analog channels out available (?)

So does this mean, if I get a analog summing mixer such as Dangerous 2-BUS-xt, I can connect,
10 analog channels in with no problem (feeding into the summing mixer such as 2-Bus-xt), correct...?

*Without getting additional ADAT converter, for a case above smile