Topic: External guitar processor to record(RME babyface pro fs)

Hi!

I'm thinking about getting an external audio processor to record both DI signal(to reamp later using VST amp sims) and wet signal of the guitar.
The question is: will I get "sound quality issues" going thorugh a processor and then into the interface compared to going straight into the Babyface?

I have an old POD hd500x that I could use for that purpose(I dont like the overall sound of the POD I prefer VSTs so I would use this method only to have a rough guitar tone and reamp the DI later)

Thanks for your adivce smile

2 (edited by ramses 2022-08-08 19:41:26)

Re: External guitar processor to record(RME babyface pro fs)

Cabling depends on the capabilities of the external audio processor, whether it has separate outputs for
— dry guitar signal (mono)
— wet signal (stereo)

So, you need at least three analog inputs.

I do it slightly different. I am plugging the guitar into an instrument input of my UFX+ and record the dry guitar signal.
Then I route
a) “effect send” to effect return and
b) additionally, I route FX from external effect (Lexicon PCM 81/91, connected to UFX+) 100% wet to effect return.
By this, I have a parallel effect loop for my Marshall with optimum dynamic.

For re-amping, I have two options, sending the recorded guitar signal to
a) Marshall and record the track through the amp again using mics
b) drive an amp VSTi

This requires a few more analog inputs/outputs.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks
Honestly I don't know
Maybe I could use a coaxial to optical SPDIF(something cheap possibly) to connect the line6 POD to the babyface and then recording the dry and wet signal using a split signal function inside the POD

I had no time to look for the I/O ports of your device. Use what's possible …

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13