Topic: New User, Help n Advice needed Please

Hi Guys

Im new here, just bought my 1st RME product, a ADI-2 DAC fs

I am a PC user, I will primarily use this connected to my PC.

I may connect this to my TV so I can use it for my console gaming, but need to figure how to do it.

I haven't even opened the box yet.

Can you please advise how I connect the ADI DAC to my PC?

I currently have a sound card installed, this has a daughter card that has RCA connections.

So I can connect the RCA cable from the PC sound card to the ADI DAC?

Or do I connect the DAC via USB to my PC, then select the ADI DAC through my windows sound settings?

If I connect the DAC via USB to the PC do I still connect the power cable to the ADI DAC?

Just wondering the best way to connect to the PC for the best sound.

Thank you

Thank you

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-24 08:12:20)

Re: New User, Help n Advice needed Please

hobib_ali wrote:

So I can connect the RCA cable from the PC sound card to the ADI DAC?

I guess you mean a digital Coax connections, NOT analog outs which are not compatible.
Digital Coax (“RCA”) would be an option, you would not need to change any PC configuration.

hobib_ali wrote:

Or do I connect the DAC via USB to my PC, then select the ADI DAC through my windows sound settings?

This is the other option, ADI-2 DAC would behave like an additional soundcard.
I’d suggest to use USB, you benefit from a cleaner, more direct signal path.

It leaves the digital Coax (and Optical) inputs for connection of any secondary device, like a TV set, gaming console, or whatsoever.

Don’t install the dedicated RME drivers, and leave ADI-2 DAC in it’s factory default (Class Compliant) CC-Stereo configuration.

This way the Windows built-in drivers are used automatically, with no extra hustle.
Just “Plug and Play”.

Only if you are using an ASIO-compatible software, RME driver installation makes sense.

hobib_ali wrote:

If I connect the DAC via USB to the PC do I still connect the power cable to the ADI DAC?

Yes.

Thank you Kias for your advice

I have followed this

so far Ive connected the ADI DAC to my PC via USB and connected the power supply.

So u have confirmed the best way to get the best sound is via USB from PC to DAC? ok Ive done that

Yes I mean on my sound card I have analogue out, like a red and white RCA connectors, ive ignored that

I will in time connect my TV to the DAC via optical cable, also need to learn how to change source

WHat I need to do is learn how to use this thing, my god its so complicated, so many settlngs

I cant figure how to change it from low power to high power.

So far its plug n play

Im a bit of a noob, not sure what u mean by ASIO-compatible software?

I suppose theres no need to install drivers on my PC for the ADI DAC? leave it in factory default

I just want to make sure ive connected this thing in the best possible way so I maximise its abilities

Regards

Hi. In summary:

Leave device as how it's factory programmed.
Power via adapter that was in the same box as the device.
Connect PC via USB. Drivers are not needed and PC will recognize it as sound card. Leave the analog RCA alone since not needed.
Connect TV via optical.
Connect to amp via analog cables as needed.
Change source via the remote control buttons.

Important to learn: Read the manual provided. It's not printed for nothing smile You'll learn a lot from it.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

5 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-24 21:31:46)

hobib_ali wrote:

... to get the best sound is via USB from PC to DAC? ok Ive done that

... I cant figure how to change it from low power to high power.

So far its plug n play ... leave it in factory default

I just want to make sure ive connected this thing in the best possible way so I maximise its abilities

The factory default is perfectly configured for plug, play and forget.

Lo- / Hi-Power switching is automatic by a mechanism called “Auto Reference Level”, active by default.

USB gives you the best sound from PC.

Maybe you look at PC’s Volume control and set it to exactly 100%.
Your player soft either, if it has such control.
Then ADI-2 get’s the best possible signal quality.

Your TV set might have an option to select if the Optical digital out follows it’s volume control or, better, not.

Once you’re more familiar with ADI-2 DAC you might check if you can benefit from Loudness function and the Equalizer.
Meanwhile simple Bass/Treble control, small knobs “Encoder” 1 and 2 and on the remote, already can enhance your listening experience.

KaiS wrote:
hobib_ali wrote:

... to get the best sound is via USB from PC to DAC? ok Ive done that

... I cant figure how to change it from low power to high power.

So far its plug n play ... leave it in factory default

The factory default is perfectly configured for plug, play and forget.

Lo- / Hi-Power switching is automatic by a mechanism called “Auto Reference Level”, active by default.

USB gives you the best sound from PC.

Maybe you look at PC’s Volume control and set it to exactly 100%.
Your player soft either, if it has such control.
Then ADI-2 get’s the best possible signal quality.

Your TV set might have an option to select if the Optical digital out follows it’s volume control or, better, not.

Once you’re more familiar with ADI-2 DAC you might check if you can benefit from Loudness function and the Equalizer.
Meanwhile simple Bass/Treble control, small knobs “Encoder” 1 and 2 and on the remote, already can enhance your listening experience.

Yes thank you everyone for advising me

This is the 1st time in my life ive spent a huge part of my savings to buy this awesome device and so far I am enjoying its performance, the sound quality is so, I cant find a word, so like subtle and precise. Using Audeze LCD2's though Im saving for a regular driver headphone such as the Focal Elegia or the Senns HD800

I have not touched the settings and using this via plug n play through my PC, I have touched on the EQ slightly, though I did get mixed up a lot

There is definitely a learning curve here.

Can I ask that you mentioned the "loudness function"

What is this, I mean is makes it extra louder, and this is different to the "low power and high power" option?

I had a look and cannot locate the loudness option, wondering if people use high OHM headphones like 600ohm then they will need it/.

last question kind community

can I do this?

So PS5 does not have optical.

So I have connected from PS5, HDMI to PC monitor   (PS5 has no opticaln neither does my PC monitor)
Then from PC monitor to receiver via 3.5mm to red white rca
Then from reciever to ADI-2 DAC via Optical

Does that make sense, trying to connect a 2nd source to the DAC

Mr Noob

Setting up Loudness function:

Loudness is for listening at significantly lower Volume then usual.
It's meant to keep the perceived bass/midrange/treble balance as independent from listening level as possible.

It‘s meant to make the music sound the same as when “loud“, even if it‘s not.

Manual page 14 gives some further explanations.

Manual page 9 shows a chart where all functions are located.
You need to make yourself familiar how to access the menues.

The following procedure assumes that at "normal" listening level and slightly below, an unchanged, "No Loudness" sound is prefered.

Basic setting:
• Determin your "normal", not loud and not quiet, listening Volume dial dBr value.
This may vary slightly depending on the source and music.
Estimate an average "normal" Volume dBr value.
• Do all settings needed for this to sound best, EQ, Bass, Treble ...
• Set the Loudness "Low Vol Ref" 25 dB below this "normal" listening dBr value.
This way Loudness correction kicks in 5 dB below normal listening level, leaving all above untouched.

Fine tuning, if necessary:
• Now dial down to your usual "low" listening level.
•  Adjust Loudness’ Bass and Treble Gain to an amount that the bass/midrange/treble balance sounds comparable to what you hear at your "normal" level.
Go back and forth beween levels to check.

Final touch, if necessary:
• Now listen at different levels again and fine-tune the Low Vol Ref.
The higher "Low Vol Ref" is set, the stronger the Loudness effect.
Don't go above 20dB below your "normal" dB value, or Loudness will effect your normal listening instead of doing it's primary job, keeping the sound balanced at lower levels.

9 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-27 15:46:10)

hobib_ali wrote:

...I have connected from PS5, HDMI to PC monitor   (PS5 has no optical neither does my PC monitor)
Then from PC monitor to receiver via 3.5mm to red white rca
Then from reciever to ADI-2 DAC via Optical

Does that make sense, trying to connect a 2nd source to the DAC

As you have described, this is the only way to go.

10 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-28 17:28:43)

hobib_ali wrote:

... Using Audeze LCD2's though Im saving for a regular driver headphone such as the Focal Elegia or the Senns HD800

I have not touched the settings and using this via plug n play through my PC, I have touched on the EQ slightly, though I did get mixed up a lot

... this is different to the "low power and high power" option?

Forget about manual Lo- and Hi-Power switching.
ADI-2’s Auto Reference Level does the switching on demand.

Anyway the term “Power” is misleading here, the amp always runs on full power.
Hi-/Lo- is in fact a 15 dB analog gain switching, to maximize S/N ratio.

The AUDEZE LCD-2 is superior to the other mentioned ‘phones in many ways.

Only that there are at least 5 different AUDEZE LCD-2 versions out, in chronological order:

• LCD-2 1st version, plugs mounted in wood.
• LCD-2r2 or 2.2 (Revision 2), plugs mounted in an extra plastic holder.
• LCD-2 Fazor (the Fazor elements can be felt inside under the cloth cover.
• LCD-2 Classic, new edition, said to sound close to the 1st version, but finally is a different one.
• LCD-2C (Closed Back), closed version.

No matter which version you have, ADI-2’s DSP capability let’s you get the best out of it, surpassing many other ‘phones.
AUDEZE LCD-2, opposed to others, can take EQ very well.

I have the AUDEZE LCD-2 r2, pre-Fazor.

Try following EQ:
B    G      F       Q   Type(if applicable)
BB +3.5  100    1,0
B1  -2.5   780    1.0 Peak
B2  +2,5  1.36k 0.5
B3  +2.0  3.7k   1.5
B4  -1.0   5.3k   5.0
B5  +2.0  8.5k   3.5 Shelv
BT    0.0  3.6k   0,5

Then play with the gains (G) to optimize the result to your personal taste.
Salt and pepper to taste with the Bass/Treble controls.

Kais u r the best

The sound quality for the ADI-2 is so awesome

I have used in/with my PC, in the past

Creative Sound blaster ZXR  (internal PCIe
Creative Sound blaster AE9  (internal PCIe
Fiio K5  (external

None of the above comes close the the clarity of the ADMI

Its so great I would like to do this but im not sure if this is possible.

Now because the sound is so delicate and precise, I want to stop using the ZXR and use the ADMI exclusively

Right now the ADMI is my number one go to device for my headphones.

I also have a cheap Yamaha V673 receiver, about 6 years old, it does the job to power my 2 floor standing, 2 bookshelf and 1 center speakers.

This is connected from the PC ZXR internal sound card to the Yamaha receiver via optical cable, so when I'm alone I can use the speakers.

Will it be possible to run the ADMI to the receiver somehow, so the clean sound from the ADMI can be used to feed the output in the receiver that powers the speakers? so using the ADMI to feed the clean sound to the receivers amp

does that make sense?

Lastly ive seen online that other people connect other headphone amps to the ADI-2, so maybe using the DAC from the ADI-2 and using the connected amp for their headphones.

Because the ADI-2 is more than capable to run any headphones, why do people bother in connecting a 2nd amp to the ADI-2?

it doesnt make sense,  its like buying a Ferrari and then getting a Lambo to tow the Porsche, I know weird analogy.

12 (edited by ramses 2022-08-28 17:25:33)

What do you mean by ADMI? From your 1st post in this thread you mean ADI-2 DAC FS..

Also regarding "ADI-2" and "ADI-2 FS", these are two different products which have nothing in common with ADI-2 DAC [FS] / Pro [FS] [R BE]. To avoid misunderstandings, please use the proper product name.

You can connect different digital devices to your ADI-2 DAC FS by using a TOSLINK switcher.
Best one which is capable to run up to 192 kHz like this one:
https://www.oehlbach.com/de/audio-equip … l-4-1-mkii

If you can't connect active monitors and need to run everything through your AV receiver then you connect everything like follows

PC---USB------------------------------------------USB---ADI-2 DAC FS ---analog-----Yamaha-----passive Monitors
          TV----optical------ OptoselMkII-----Optical---+  "               ----headphones
          PS----optical-------+                coax. SPDIF--+  "
          Optical3------------+
          Optical4------------+

or if PC has an optical output (SPDIF) and if you do not use DSD:

PC----optical------ OptoselMkII-----Optical---+ ADI-2 DAC FS ---analog-----Yamaha-----passive Monitors
          TV----optical-------+                coax. SPDIF--+  "                    ----headphones
          PS-------------------+
          Optical4------------+

Where "optical" connection can be either "ADAT" or "optical SPDIF".
With optical SPDIF you have an additional advantage of galvanic isolation.         
The USB connection to the PC is useful to be able to perform firmware upgrades and if you want to use DSD.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

13 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-28 18:01:17)

hobib_ali wrote:

...Will it be possible to run the ?ADMI? (you mean ADI-2 DAC?!) to the receiver somehow, so the clean sound from the ADMI can be used to feed the output in the receiver that powers the speakers? so using the ADMI to feed the clean sound to the receivers amp.

Use a stereo RCA-cable to connect ADI-2 DAC’s RCA outs to Yamaha V673’s “Audio 1” input.
Set ADI-2 DAC’s Volume to -4 dBr for best level fit.
Reason: ADI-2 at full puts out a bit more than Yamaha V673 can take.

hobib_ali wrote:

...Because the ADI-2 is more than capable to run any headphones, why do people bother in connecting a 2nd amp to the ADI-2?

Don’t worry, people do a lot of things.
ADI-2 DAC can drive every headphone exist with ease, and best, clean sound.

But some like it dirty smile
Some like their cables being made by virgins, at midnight at full moon only smile

And some just like to listen to music and enjoy a good sounding device like ADI-2.

KaiS wrote:
hobib_ali wrote:

...Will it be possible to run the ?ADMI? (you mean ADI-2 DAC?!) to the receiver somehow, so the clean sound from the ADMI can be used to feed the output in the receiver that powers the speakers? so using the ADMI to feed the clean sound to the receivers amp.

Use a stereo RCA-cable to connect ADI-2 DAC’s RCA outs to Yamaha V673’s “Audio 1” input.
Set ADI-2 DAC’s Volume to -4 dBr for best level fit.
Reason: ADI-2 at full puts out a bit more than Yamaha V673 can take.

hobib_ali wrote:

...Because the ADI-2 is more than capable to run any headphones, why do people bother in connecting a 2nd amp to the ADI-2?

Don’t worry, people do a lot of things.
ADI-2 DAC can drive every headphone exist with ease, and best, clean sound.

But some like it dirty smile
Some like their cables being made by virgins, at midnight at full moon only smile

And some just like to listen to music and enjoy a good sounding device like ADI-2.

Thanks for that, i didnt think that i can connect the ADI-2 out via red n white RCA cables to the  Yamaha receiver.

Im gonna test this tonight, so when im listening to music from PC (usb to ADI-2) and I connect the red n white RCA cable from the ADI-2 RCA output then connect the RCA cable to a random channel on the Yamaha receiver, such as CD or AV1,

the sound will come in to the receiver at the same time? ill then disconnect the headphones then.

This should give me a really clean n crisp sound on the speakers, cant wait till i get home.

Yes I thought that was strange, why people connect 2nd headphone amps to the ADI

Overall Im really really pleased with this device,

Ive sold all my extra headphones and kept 2 cans to use exclusively with the ADI

Audeze LCD2 open
Audeze LCD2 closed

Im thinking to re-aquire a Focal Elegia headphones for a non planar on the side, The Elegias sound so crisp, I can imagine that these with the ADI-2 will be an awesome pairing.

What headphones do you use if I dont mind asking?

ramses wrote:

What do you mean by ADMI? From your 1st post in this thread you mean ADI-2 DAC FS..

Also regarding "ADI-2" and "ADI-2 FS", these are two different products which have nothing in common with ADI-2 DAC [FS] / Pro [FS] [R BE]. To avoid misunderstandings, please use the proper product name.

You can connect different digital devices to your ADI-2 DAC FS by using a TOSLINK switcher.
Best one which is capable to run up to 192 kHz like this one:
https://www.oehlbach.com/de/audio-equip … l-4-1-mkii

If you can't connect active monitors and need to run everything through your AV receiver then you connect everything like follows

PC---USB------------------------------------------USB---ADI-2 DAC FS ---analog-----Yamaha-----passive Monitors
          TV----optical------ OptoselMkII-----Optical---+  "               ----headphones
          PS----optical-------+                coax. SPDIF--+  "
          Optical3------------+
          Optical4------------+

or if PC has an optical output (SPDIF) and if you do not use DSD:

PC----optical------ OptoselMkII-----Optical---+ ADI-2 DAC FS ---analog-----Yamaha-----passive Monitors
          TV----optical-------+                coax. SPDIF--+  "                    ----headphones
          PS-------------------+
          Optical4------------+

Where "optical" connection can be either "ADAT" or "optical SPDIF".
With optical SPDIF you have an additional advantage of galvanic isolation.         
The USB connection to the PC is useful to be able to perform firmware upgrades and if you want to use DSD.

yep sorry i get mixed up with the name

can u plz tell me what is "OptoselMkII" ?

and the graph above, analog as in the Red n white rca cable?

> can u plz tell me what is "OptoselMkII" ?

I provided the link … click to it, it's the TOSLINK switcher.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

17 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-08 17:24:58)

hobib_ali wrote:

What headphones do you use if I dont mind asking?

Many too many I fear:
RAAL SR1a, JJ Float QA, Mysphere 3.2, ERGO A.M.T., STAX SR-009, SR-007, L-700, Hifiman HE-1000, Sennheiser HE-60, HD-650, HD-800 and 800S, AUDEZE LCD2r2, EL-8 Titanium and Mobius, Sony MDR CD-3000, MDR-F1, EMU Teak, Focal Clear, ...
to name the ones I do actually use, and a lot of others.

From day one I used EQ of several kinds, and ADI-2 opens a whole new world in regards of usability.

I mostly stream Tidal from iPhone, or play CDs.