Topic: Showing "Phones" on the Display

Short version: How do I set the volume / "dark volume" screen to show the information for "phones"?

A newbie question:

I am using an ADI-2 DAC FS with headphones. I have it set as I think I like it (crossfeed, ...) - however, the "main screen" (it is called "Dark Volume" on p29 of the manual) tells me the status of the Line Out (where I am not using crossfeed or loudness or ...).

Last night (my first night with the device) I could have sworn it was showing me the status for the phones output on the main display. But this morning, when I turn it on, I cannot figure out how to switch it to show me the status for Phones. If I dig into the menus, I can confirm that the device has the settings I expect, but I cannot figure out how to have the "dark volume" screen show the info for the "phones" output.

Similarly, If I go to the "volume" screen (pressing the vol button to show volume/balance) - it shows me the info for line out - I do not see how to switch it to see the info for phones.

I understand the the user experience of this device is going to take, um, some learning - but I am hoping someone can explain to me how to get the basic info shown on the display for normal use. (my normal use will be as a headphone DAC).

Thank you!

Mike

Re: Showing "Phones" on the Display

Plug your phones in!

3 (edited by KaiS 2022-08-27 16:43:08)

The settings for each of the 3 outputs: Headhones, IEM and Line Out, are stored and recalled individually.

The switching is by plugging the ‘phones.
Read manual page 40, chapter 19.6 for details.

Cool, isn’t it?!

Thanks....

I did have headphones plugged in. But this didn't cause the display to switch.

Section 19.6 (which is page 38 in my manual) lead to a search (fortunate for the manual PDF) to section 14.1.3 where "vs Phones". When I put it into this mode... now it says "Phones". yea! Thank you. (I don't mind the line out being muted when I am using headphones).

Now another mystery...
It doesn't say "loudness" or "crossfeed" (which I could have sworn it was telling me last night) - but, well, I guess I'll just have to remember that I have them turned on.

I suspect that after a few days, the only thing I will touch will be the power button and the volume knob.

You have a remote with a loudness button. So it is very easy to find out if it is on or not.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, I can press buttons (either on the remote or digging through menus), but it was nice to see everything in one place. It tells me all kinds of other stuff at a glance). And I could have sworn that the first night it was showing me other state indicators...

The device is so deep and configurable, I keep wondering... have I set something by mistake?

Of course, it doesn't matter. It sounds wonderful, and that's what I bought it for.

There are two dark volume screens, one with all the details (see manual). You simply might not have pushed the encoders often enough.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you. That was it. I hadn't realized what the encoder buttons do when at a "top screen" (or that Dark Volume Details was different than Dark Volume).

9 (edited by drspeed 2022-09-05 23:18:54)

I am having a similar issue, which just started.
When I plug in Phones the display stays on Line Out and won't switch to Phones.
I can go into menu and manually change to Phone , but the minute I touch volume button goes back to showing Line Out
The Phones still work while showing Line Out.
Unit is about year old, and has worked perfectly til now.
I can also plug in IEM and same effect as Phones.
Any ideas?

My solution was to have it switch off the line out when I plug in phones:

Section 19.6 (which is page 38 in my manual) lead to a search (fortunate for the manual PDF) to section 14.1.3 where "vs Phones". When I put it into this mode... now it says "Phones". yea! Thank you. (I don't mind the line out being muted when I am using headphones).

11 (edited by drspeed 2022-09-06 03:48:33)

Thanks
I guess I should of looked at the thread a little more closer

The manual is among the best I have ever seen. Yet so many people seem to avoid reading it.

I wouldn't see it that negative. It might still be the most often read manual ever....

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Good point MC

15 (edited by Happy_amateur 2022-09-06 09:18:56)

Going from DAC to PRO versions "dark volume screen" with DSP settings is deeply missed. Wouldnt it be possiblle to get this in a FW update for PRO.

Someone told me I should turn functions on/off/on to know DSP settings, but I think its a sub par solution. Better to have it at a glance on the screen.

A DAC like solution with "darkvolume" screen for a single output with its current DSP settings. Maybe windows in succession for different I/O or a switch in display options, if someone is in dire need of the current dual volume - B/T setting that is incorporated into the ADI-2 PRO.

Something like that. *edited out pre morning-coffe clutter*

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Sorry, what function?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by Happy_amateur 2022-09-06 07:57:59)

MC: Dark volume window DAC style with DSP settings, for PRO.

That function is highly usefull for day to day use

Sorry for my cloudy posting big_smile

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

The 'Dark Volume Details screen' is intentionally missing in the Pro. The DAC has 4 so called Top screens, while the Pro has already 6. There is too much toggling already. It is getting too cumbersome and more complex with every screen added.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The 'Dark Volume Details screen' is intentionally missing in the Pro. The DAC has 4 so called Top screens, while the Pro has already 6. There is too much toggling already. It is getting too cumbersome and more complex with every screen added.

Just an idea: would it make sense to have a menu option where you could adjust which top screens you want to activate? Maybe some fixed top screens that you can‘t disable and some optional ones.

MC wrote:

smile I think I could handle this. If this could be fixed in a later FW I would be happy. I think Artbudas suggestion about optional top screens is a good one. If there is ever time for it maybe it could be done.