1 (edited by Matias 2022-09-10 02:08:23)

Topic: New remote not working

I have an ADI-2 DAC fs v2 since July, 2020 and never used the remote as I was using the DAC on a desktop. I kept the remote in its plastic bag, and the original battery out as not to discharge it.

2+ years later I moved the DAC to a far field system and I decided to finally use the remote, and to my surprise it is not working. Pressing volume up or down blinks the green LED, and if I keep pressing a button it keeps blinking green, but nothing happens in the DAC. No other button works.

I measured the battery with my DMM and it is 3.0V alright.

I tried the instructions on the back, holding SEL button, it keeps green, and when I release it, it goes to red and blue and dark. Nothing happens, still not working.

Yes, I searched the manual, could not find anything useful. I searched the Options menu if there was something blocking it, nope, nothing.

Firmware is 47 so fairly up to date. Edit: updated to the latest 78/50 (setup menu says SW version 51 06/2022), still nothing.

Of course the volume knob on the DAC works normally.

Did I get a bad remote or what? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-10 07:10:01)

Re: New remote not working

Matias wrote:

I measured the battery with my DMM and it is 3.0V alright

A battery at 3.0 V is close to empty.
A fresh one reads 3.3 V at least.

3 (edited by Matias 2022-09-10 13:23:30)

KaiS wrote:
Matias wrote:

Really? I see them specified as 3V everywhere. Example:
https://www.amazon.com/2x2-Duracell-CR2 … 00NC0IAP2/

But ok, I will test with a new battery just in case.

Matias wrote:
KaiS wrote:
Matias wrote:

Really? I see them specified as 3V everywhere. Example:
https://www.amazon.com/2x2-Duracell-CR2 … 00NC0IAP2/

But ok, I will test with a new battery just in case.

Really, you measured the old one, measure a new too.

Old batteries not only have lower voltage, they even can‘t deliver the necessary current.

5 (edited by MstrC-117 2022-09-10 17:28:14)

Battery voltage specifications are given when they are loaded (drawn current from) at its nominal current. Measurement from unloaded battery should show more, as KaiS mentioned.
Unloaded 3,0 V -figure indicates battery´s partial "shelf death" i.e. it has lost its charge i.e. gone bad in storage. Under load, voltage of this kind of battery drops below 3 V. Which may not be enough for proper operation of its actual commands sending IR-LED, although its user visible indicator-LED still operates. That´s because IR-LEDs may need more voltage than normal RGB -LEDs. 

Batteries have best-before -date, which should be checked, before buying or installing them. Buying them large amounts to storage for devices with battery replacement interval of years, like ADI-2´s remote, is not good idea.

Open up the remote and bend the metal battery contacts a bit so that it makes better contact with the battery.

Compared to the rest of the unit, the remote quality is poor.

Dont drop it. Its guaranted to come apart. Thomann dont sell them any longer.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

8 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-13 13:40:34)

Happy_amateur wrote:

Thomann dont sell them any longer.

??? It‘s still in production, so ... what?

From the Thomann website:
https://www.thomann.de/intl/rme_adi_2_dac_fs.htm
Incl. MRC remote control, USB cable and power supply unit

I think Happy_amateur meant the remote is no longer sold separately by Thomann, but I found it on Amazon if needed.
https://www.amazon.com/RME-Multi-Remote … B08KYLT3JR

10 (edited by Happy_amateur 2022-09-13 14:54:50)

I was about to order one extra and it was pop gone. I know they come with the unit KaiS.

Ladida,bompetibom..

Thnx for clarifying and the tip Matias!

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

11 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-13 15:14:28)

Happy_amateur wrote:

I was about to order one extra and it was pop gone. I know they come with the unit KaiS.

You could contact Thomann directly, via kundenservice@thomann.de.
If available (quite sure) they order it.

Might be worth to compare the price.

KaiS wrote:
Happy_amateur wrote:

You could contact Thomann directly, via kundenservice@thomann.de.
If available (quite sure) they order it.

Might be worth to compare the price.

"Might be worth to compare the price." Yeah I thought so too when I saw the amazon entry, but like I said. I dont need it. Just wanted one for safekeeping.

About the MRC not taking to much dropping. I just pressed it back together. I havent managed to break one yet in 1.5 years. Still going strong smile never changed battery either.

mediummanting wrote:

Open up the remote and bend the metal battery contacts a bit so that it makes better contact with the battery.

THIS

So my new battery arrived, out of curiosity I measured it and indeed it was 3.3 V.

I installed it in the remote, tested with the DAC... And nothing. Still the greed LED blinks but nothing happens.

Dead remote then? sad

Maybe the remote got “confused” by the low battery.
There is a procedure to tell it it’s for ADI-2 DAC.

Look at manual page 18, change the code table so a button press makes the LED show a different color from green, then change back.

Yay, it came back to life! Indeed holding SEL and then button 1 did the trick to "reset" the remote. It is working for the 1st time now.

Thank you for all the tips!