Topic: Static burst then drop - ADI-2 DAC on Windows pc

Hi,

I have been using my ADI-2 DAC for about 2 years now problem free (bought 2nd hand).

Recently I have had several instances where I get a burst of static and then the sound completely dies.

First time I could turn on the DAC and off and the sound comes back, but it happened again and the PC said the USB device wasn't recognized.

I switched the cable into a differnet USB port and everything seems ok again.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? Is it more likely a problem with the DAC or the PC motherboard?

Thanks smile

Re: Static burst then drop - ADI-2 DAC on Windows pc

Did you try the DAC on another computer or can you test it via an optical cable instead of USB with e.g. the TV optical out or otherwise digital signal?

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

3 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-13 23:36:57)

simon.adams wrote:

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? Is it more likely a problem with the DAC or the PC motherboard?

I wouldn’t bet on either.

The only way to find out is a systematic exclusion one by one, see if the failure reappears.

• Check the PSU-cable, it has a turn-lock and must go all-in (no silver part visible). The “burst of static” doesn’t point on this, but just to be sure.
• USB-Port, try one that is located opposite to the one used, front vs back.
• USB cable.
• Other PC if possible.

So far this has been an intermittent problem, so I haven't gone full trouble shooting mode on it yet. Wondered if this was a known issue and pointed to anything that people had experienced before. If it carries on I will try a different input. Switched to a different USB port after the last drop and so far solid.