Topic: Passive attenuator?

My new ADI-2 Pro FS R is on its way. I was planning on connecting the rear quarter inch outputs directly to my power amp. Should I instead use a passive attenuator in between? I have one of these:

https://www.schiit.com/products/sys

I always found it to work well on my previous setup (between a line level DAC and my power amp). I read in another thread that a passive attenuator might increase sound quality, but it feels like an extra step. Is it a safety issue? I do want to ensure volume level is within a reasonable range :-)

I’m really excited to listen to my new ADI-2 in a few days with my speakers and also Sennheiser headphones. I’ve been dreaming of RME equipment for years and this is my first component.

Re: Passive attenuator?

It will become handy if you want to try out DSD, as the loudness cannot be regulated digitally. For PCM, you probably will get a more pure signal without, but you may want to explore for yourself.

markkrueg wrote:

My new ADI-2 Pro FS R is on its way. I was planning on connecting the rear quarter inch outputs directly to my power amp. Should I instead use a passive attenuator in between? I have one of these:

https://www.schiit.com/products/sys

I always found it to work well on my previous setup (between a line level DAC and my power amp). I read in another thread that a passive attenuator might increase sound quality, but it feels like an extra step. Is it a safety issue? I do want to ensure volume level is within a reasonable range :-)

I’m really excited to listen to my new ADI-2 in a few days with my speakers and also Sennheiser headphones. I’ve been dreaming of RME equipment for years and this is my first component.

I wouldnt do that setup whitout the attenuator. This is a product thats been touted here: https://www.thomannmusic.no/jts_ma_123.htm ,but your schiit attenuator or an integrated amp would do the same.

An attenuator can save your speakers from clicks/pops and level mishaps.

About level range, you would want to be there "autoreflevel" works at its best.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

BoooM wrote:

It will become handy if you want to try out DSD, as the loudness cannot be regulated digitally. For PCM, you probably will get a more pure signal without, but you may want to explore for yourself.

DSD has digital volume control. DSD Direct does not.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by markkrueg 2022-09-16 17:41:04)

Thanks for the advice and especially the points about DSD. I’m very interested in experimenting with DSD. I think I will leave the SYS (attenuator; or really potentiometer) in place initially as I experiment and grow comfortable with the equipment.

It’s a useful safety valve since I’m a novice and don’t want to damage my speakers.

EDIT: Also I see Matthias wrote an excellent post about the technical details of output attenuation here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399
(I need to spend more time reading this excellent forum!)

6 (edited by markkrueg 2022-09-21 20:10:58)

This is kind of off topic for this thread but I just want to say:

I LOVE MY ADI-2 Pro FS R BE SO MUCH!!

I feel like everything about this product was made just for me. I LOVE the manual. I LOVE the internal "tube" glow LED easter egg (I seriously laughed out loud). I love the user interface. But mostly I just LOVE the sound!

First I connected my Sennheiser HD 560S and listened to a few lossless tracks on Apple Music...4 hours later I finally took a break to connect it to my amp/speakers. I didn't want to stop listening.

The Schiit SYS worked fine between the ADI-2 and my power amp; I leave the SYS volume about in the middle and control everything from the ADI-2 and remote. On my speakers the loudness function is so subtle and perfect. I live in a very dense city with a family who doesn't appreciate loud music; so I'm often listening below optimal volume. I can tune for this easily now. And the EQ is awesome for speaker and room correction. Amazing!

Right now I'm using Colibri (macOS app) to send DSD files to it and listening to DSD for the first time; which is so cool. Opening up new sonic worlds.

The ADI-2 Pro is like having music super powers! I can't wait to try every capability including the analog inputs.

Everyone at RME: You are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks a lot! smile

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by Curt962 2022-09-23 12:41:04)

markkrueg wrote:

"I LOVE MY ADI-2 Pro FS R BE SO MUCH!!..."

"I feel like everything about this product was made just for me..."

"I just LOVE the sound!..."

"The ADI-2 Pro is like having music super powers!..."

Hi Mark!

I guess then that we in the Forum can assume that you're quite pleased with your new RME. smile

We are too!

Thanks for sharing your excitement, and know that your RME experience (ie: WOW!) is quite common! 

You will find that this immense satisfaction is not short-lived, but rather it REMAINS Long-Term to benefit the user with more, and more enjoyable hours of listening...Year after year.

You'll forget about "Upgrades"

In my case, and as the Years add up on my ADI-2DAC, I still find myself thinking that...."I DON'T need to think about it!"   The RME has everything in good order, and all I need to do is; Listen   Our RME has simply proven itself as being a Trusted Associate with a Vital Role, and much less of an expendable, forgettable, and easily discarded Audio Toy.

That's a VERY High Standard, and serves as irrefutable proof that "The Emperor is indeed fully-clothed"!  wink

This happens as a result of  RME's proper engineering of the device from the outset, and a bit of good system integration effort from the User.   No Voodoo Magic here. 

Many happy years await You Mark!

Enjoy!

Curt

*Mark, a matter that is frequently overlooked in these pleasant exchanges is one of Value   

The RME sits high atop the performance ladder, and carries with it a Premium Price.   Beyond the pretty box of Hardware is RME's strong Firmware support. Here,  you will find that your Premium RME Product will remain a Top-Tier device well into the future.   This protects your investment, lengthens it's useful life as a viable part of your audio chain, and enhances Value!    That should mean something good to us all.

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes