Topic: RME ADI 2 Pro fs R BE act as Active Crossover for 2:2 system

Dear all
i have a question before buying my second RME. I would like to use the PRO acting as a room correction and a Active Crossover for my 2.2 system (two mains and two sub). Is it possible to do that using also the EQ feature inside the RME? which are the correct path? Is it describe in the owner manual?
Thank you in advance.

Re: RME ADI 2 Pro fs R BE act as Active Crossover for 2:2 system

It‘s doable, but not very flexible or user-friedly.

If your subs have built-in filters it’s better to use those.

If you tell the models of subs and mains I can give you more assistance.

Dear kais
these are mine and they have regolable filter on board
https://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers … %201-1.pdf

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-24 16:21:01)

smolteni wrote:

Dear kais

This server is down, link doesn’t work.

Anyway, for a valid proposal I would need to know all your related components.

Really? i can open it,
pre/amplifier Rotel
Main are Magnepan1,7
2 Subwoowe BK Elec P12-300
I have a bad resonance at 80 and 50hz in my room, i want to eliminate it using dirac via the two subs. So my intentions are to cut the main at 90 or 100hz and send all the deep bass to the sub managed via Dirac.

I hope this can help, thank you.
Stefano.

KaiS wrote:
smolteni wrote:

Dear kais

This server is down, link doesn’t work.

Anyway, for a valid proposal I would need to know all your related components.

6 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-28 17:28:43)

smolteni wrote:

pre/amplifier Rotel
Main are Magnepan1,7
2 Subwoowe BK Elec P12-300
I have a bad resonance at 80 and 50hz in my room, i want to eliminate it using dirac via the two subs. So my intentions are to cut the main at 90 or 100hz and send all the deep bass to the sub managed via Dirac.

ADI-2 and the sub/main setting can solve that too:

• Let the Maggies run full range.
If you don‘t need very high level they like that. Their bass is much faster / better quality than any available sub‘s.
Their dipole-characteristics even excites less room modes than a omnidirectional sub does.

• X-over the sub with it‘s own controls at ca. 80 Hz.

• Fine-tune the sub‘s X-over frequency, phase and level until the 80 Hz resonance disappeared in the area around your typical listening position.
If possible, variations of the sub’s position in the room have a huge influence on room modes’ exiting.

(Slowly circulate the measurement mic to average the relevant listening area).

Using an acoustic optimization is superior over creating an acoustic problem, then try to eliminate it by filtering.

• Use ADI-2‘s parametric EQ’s Peak Filter to notch out the 50 Hz room mode.

• Use ADI-2‘s parametric EQ Bass Shelf Filter to adjust the final amout of bass.

What measurement software do you use?

I use Dirac and REW.
But if i run the Maggies full spectrum i will always the issue at 80-85hz and will not solve my issue... or not?

8 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-29 09:31:00)

smolteni wrote:

But if i run the Maggies full spectrum i will always the issue at 80-85hz and will not solve my issue... or not?

It will, the sub can cancel out some bass in the x-over area.

What‘s left-over is some favorable high speed punch in that range, as the Maggies are faster than the sub.

Fine-tuning ADI-2’s EQ will do the rest.

Remark:
Having steep full X-over filters (high pass + low pass) in the bass range is not advisable.
Filters always introduce time delay and ringing, making the bass slow and un-dynamic.
We’re talking about such amount of ringing that it quasi “fades in” bass impulses, and delay in the range of 50-100 ms and more, these are audible as such!

To achieve not only bass quantity, but quality also, it‘s better to use mains with some bass capability like your Maggies.
Then add the missing very lows from a sub, and remove possible excess of quantity by an unobtrusive Bass Shelf- or low Q Peak Filter.