1 (edited by mmacphee2 2022-09-29 11:57:55)

Topic: New owner of ADI-2 DAC FS question

Hello
I will be receiving my ADI-2 Monday and have been studying the manual. This DAC will replace a Topping D90LE which was a very good DAC however the functionality of the ADI will better suit my tastes.
I will be using this DAC through a BRYSTON BP-26 preamp with MPS2 power supply into a 14BSST Power Amp.
It is not clear to me yet how to use the DAC only through XLR and if there is a function to choose DAC only output into the preamp. The volume will be controlled by the preamp therefore is there an option to bypass control from the DAC?
I am using a preamp as I need the extra connections
Thank you for any help with this question

2 (edited by ramses 2022-09-29 11:54:21)

Re: New owner of ADI-2 DAC FS question

Are you sure about the model “ADI-2 FS” or do you mean “ADI-2 DAC FS” or “ADI-2 Pro FS R BE”?
ADI-2 FS has no USB and is missing the special features of ADI-2 DAC/PRO FS …

When using dynamic loudness or EQ/PEQ, then you should also activate auto ref level.
This ensures that the best reference level (out of four) is automatically being set for optimum SNR/dynamic according to your EQ and Volume settings, also for the use of dynamic loudness.

Then you only need to check that the analog input of your Amps Preamp is not being overloaded.

The dBu and Volt (eff) values resulting from the volume settings and depending on which product you have and whether you use XLR or RCA outputs on ADI-2 DAC FS, you can get from my Excel here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/attachment/2915-overview-adi-2-dac-pro-dbu-auto-reflevel-ranges-snr-v002-jpg/

Then you only need to look, not to use a higher volume than those supported by your preamp, where the ADI-2 DAC is connected to.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-29 11:52:06)

You might not be aware there are 3 different ADI-2 models:
ADI-2 DAC FS (probably the one you’re referring to)
ADI-2 Pro (FS, FS BE)
ADI-2 FS (no LCD display)

To answer your question:
Leave ADI-2 DAC in factory default setting, except activate “Lock Volume” when you found a comfortable level that fits to your other sources.

For connection you can use XLR or RCA, whatever suits your setup best.
XLR solves possible hum problems, in case.

Sorry I meant DAC.
I'm new to this type of DAC.
THANKS

I have corrected the header to be clear.
Thanks
I'll probably have a few questions as I go

I'll be using this primarily as a DAC using balanced XLR connection.....therefore volume control will be with the BP-26 preamp only. I would need to bypass the preamp of the ADI-2 as I need the additional connections that my preamp provides
Thanks

6 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-29 12:18:54)

An extra hint:

If used with a PC it’s usually NOT advised to install the RME supplied drivers.
These are intended for use with professional DAW software.

Most Hifi-player soft works better with the Windows built-in CC-drivers.
ADI-2 DAC defaults to the compatible (Class Compliant-) CC-Mode.

For possible firmware updates the drivers are needed, this is best done on another machine that usually never sees ADI-2, to keep the music PC’s config intact.

I will have a dedicated PC with ROON. So I don't download the Windows Driver??

Any new pointers for a newbie like me is greatly appreciated. Thanks

9 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-29 13:12:26)

mmacphee2 wrote:

I would need to bypass the preamp of the ADI-2 as I need the additional connections that my preamp provides

There’s no traditional analog “Preamp”-section built into ADI-2 DAC.

All processing is done in the DSP, digital domain, and can serve as such.
In default all those processings (except the digital volume control) are deactivated.

10 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-29 15:37:45)

mmacphee2 wrote:

I will have a dedicated PC with ROON. So I don't download the Windows Driver??

First try without.
The drivers are for software supporting the ASIO protocol, like most pro audio DAWs.

Roon and ADI-2 both support and suggest to use WASAPI, available only if the driver is NOT installed.
https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/ … on-windows
ADI-2 manual page 42.

Usually it works Plug ‘n Play.

For ultimate quality run RME Bit Test, a unique feature ADI-2 offers to check for digital signal integrity.

Read manual page 67 about it.

Thank you for that advice. Things I will try once received

mmacphee2 wrote:

I have corrected the header to be clear.
Thanks
I'll probably have a few questions as I go

I'll be using this primarily as a DAC using balanced XLR connection.....therefore volume control will be with the BP-26 preamp only. I would need to bypass the preamp of the ADI-2 as I need the additional connections that my preamp provides
Thanks

As I explained to you already … Use the cool features of the ADI-2 DAC FS like: EQ, PEQ, dynamic loudness.
Enable auto ref level so that the optimum reference level can be determined by the ADI-2 DAC itself automatically.

Connect the ADI-2 DAC FS using balanced cables (XLR) if possible.
Look into the manual of your preamp or consult the vendor, what's the max. input level of the other preamps analog inputs.
Then look into the Excel that I posted above.

To put an Example:
If the max supported voltage V (eff) should be around 1,22 V (see Col C).
And if you intend to use the XLR outputs of ADI-2 DAC FS (see Col I-M),
then you can turn the volume of your ADI-2 DAC FS up to -15 (see Col I)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi ramses, I'd like to use your spreadsheet but the link to it is broken.

14 (edited by ramses 2022-09-29 19:47:39)

MatrixS2000 wrote:

Hi ramses, I'd like to use your spreadsheet, but the link to it is broken.

Your browser is broken, or you use an incompatible plugin.
When I open this thread, the screenshot is automatically being loaded in the 2nd posting
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 76#p192276

You can find it also here in my blog area, at the bottom, where additional attachments are shown:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … ses-en-de/

15 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-29 19:47:24)

ramses wrote:

Look into the manual of your preamp or consult the vendor, what's the max. input level of the other preamps analog inputs.
Then look into the Excel that I posted above.

Looking into the manual, a max.input level isn’t spec’ed.

Having a look into the schematic reveals a max. input of at least 16 V / 27 dBu!
So BRYSTON BP-26 can easily take the highest level ADI-2 can deliver.

I think ADI-2s output level should just be fitted to other sources present, for best usability.

Thanks for looking Kai.

Thanks again everyone. I'm taking all of your advice seriously. Basically, this is the only major question I have. I believe the preamp will.ge fine as it's if high quality and I will match the volume accordingly as per all your advice.
The rest I will experiment with and am looking forward to this fabulous product. The EQ is very intriguing and will spend time reading and experimenting to find what I like best. Of course I will ask more questions to all of you that are experts with it to learn as much as I can
Thanks

18 (edited by bejoro 2022-09-30 10:52:53)

If you use a Windows DAW, ASIO is recommended (RME driver).

If you use only player software that supports ASIO, ASIO is recommended (RME driver).

If you use also or only player software that does not support ASIO, you should not install the RME driver.

For firmware updates the RME driver is necessary.

There are reports that an installation/uninstlation of RME drivers, might cause problems with Windows sound system (automatic sample rate changes not working any more). That's the reason for KaiS's recommendation.

Sounds wrote:
KaiS wrote:

An extra hint:

If used with a PC it’s usually NOT advised to install the RME supplied drivers.
These are intended for use with professional DAW software.

Most Hifi-player soft works better with the Windows built-in CC-drivers.
ADI-2 DAC defaults to the compatible (Class Compliant-) CC-Mode.

For possible firmware updates the drivers are needed, this is best done on another machine that usually never sees ADI-2, to keep the music PC’s config intact.

So why does the manual, in the quick start section (pg.7) state:
The ADI-2 DAC is a 2-channel I/O interface when connected via USB. Under Windows install the
RME WDM/ASIO driver to play back a stereo signal from the computer.

? this implies the drivers are necessary for playback?

Bejoro already answered this, but as it‘s important, I really want to point out that:

You can have only one driver or the other.
The Windows built in, OR the RME.

If you run into problems with the RME driver you will need to uninstall it.
This is process of several steps that can go wrong.

Therefore I strongly recommend to start without installing the RME driver.

Ok....so this part is a little confusing for me to follow. Do I or don't I ?? With my Topping D90LE I used Wasapi

If I don't use the driver as you all indicated, than I can't do firmware updates!!?? That is usually important.
Not sure how to proceed.

21 (edited by KaiS 2022-09-30 13:30:14)

mmacphee2 wrote:

Ok....so this part is a little confusing for me to follow. Do I or don't I ?? With my Topping D90LE I used Wasapi

If I don't use the driver as you all indicated, than I can't do firmware updates!!?? That is usually important.
Not sure how to proceed.

You simply loose nothing NOT installing the RME drivers in the first place.
Then ADI-2 can run on WASAPI.

Only if you run a DAW with ASIO support the RME drivers are the way to go.
But- once installed it has been tricky for some to remove them again.

For firmware updates use a different PC, like an old laptop or your office PC, just what’s handy.

ramses wrote:
MatrixS2000 wrote:

Hi ramses, I'd like to use your spreadsheet, but the link to it is broken.

Your browser is broken, or you use an incompatible plugin.
When I open this thread, the screenshot is automatically being loaded in the 2nd posting
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 76#p192276

You can find it also here in my blog area, at the bottom, where additional attachments are shown:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … ses-en-de/

I see both but they are jpegs not the spreadsheet.  I thought you were linking to a spreadsheet.  No worries, I can use the jpeg.  Thanks!!!!

KaiS wrote:
mmacphee2 wrote:

Not sure how to proceed.

You simply loose nothing NOT installing the RME drivers in the first place.
Then ADI-2 can run on WASAPI.

Only if you run a DAW with ASIO support the RME drivers are the way to go.
But- once installed it has been tricky for some to remove them again.

For firmware updates use a different PC, like an old laptop or your office PC, just what’s handy.

Thanks I will do exactly that

24 (edited by mmacphee2 2022-10-03 23:22:17)

Received today......by far the best DAC I've owned.
I'm playing around with it. Trying to figure out PEQ, Loudness settings etc.... There is a huge learning curve to get full potential.
Sounds amazing in my system.

I did the plug and play and use Wasapi. Did not download any firmware yet....I will set that up in an alternate laptop as you veterans told me  Works great.