Topic: Streaming options?

What are people out there using to stream?
I’ve got a couple hundred gb of Alac files and will be using either tidal, amazon hd or qobuz.

I could always just use my laptop with audirvana >usb>adi2 and that would allow me to use the audirvana remote.

Would the laptop/audirvana as source not be optimal for sound quality? Are
There better solutions?

2 (edited by willem 2019-10-13 11:59:01)

Re: Streaming options?

I am not quite sure what you are asking: which service (i.e. Spotify, Tidal, TuneIn etc) or what hardware? As for the latter, I am happily streaming Spotify and TuneIn using the Chromecast Audio's optical output into an RME ADI-2 DAC. The plan is to move over to Qobuz lossless, but when I first tried I did not like their app. I should try again, I guess. I don't have downloaded tracks, but if I did, I would probably use Bubble UPnP to connect.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

Yes sorry for the vague post. I’m just trying to get an idea of what hardware people are using with the adi2 for streaming. The laptop running audirvana into the usb seems the easiest to implement. I’m just not clear about the SQ of that setup vs a dedicated streaming device.
Most dedicated streamers are also DACs so that seems unnecessary.

Others please correct me if I’m speaking out of turn, but I think most people here will tell you there is no variation in sound quality between digital players so long as they’re delivering bitperfect data to a well designed DAC.  Your Audirvana/laptop usb player should be doing just that (if Audirvana is set to Extreme mode).

If you want to untether your laptop from your music system, then a Raspberry Pi 4 set up with software like Volumio should offer the same sound quality, for very little outlay.

5 (edited by cmcmurphy22 2019-10-13 17:12:45)

Thanks for the info. I’m just getting up to speed with the latest tech. Been out of the hifi game for a while.

Looks like my xtra laptop has found a new purpose.

6 (edited by DominicPerry 2019-10-13 17:49:18)

Audirvana does two useful things -
1) it works as a library and single user interface for multiple sources - local files (including iTunes) and streaming services including Qobuz & Tidal, but not Spotify or AmazonHD
2) It grabs your audio interface (exclusively, if you want) and converts all your files, as it plays, to a higher/different bit rate. This is useful, as most of the things I listen to are 44.1 but (to me) the RME ADI-2 Pro fs sounds better at 96KHz or above.
There are some niggling problems with Audirvana - it's not a big company with enormous numbers of users - but overall I quite like it, and I like the iPad/iPhone remote control, although you have to pay an additional £10 for that.

CMC,

I think the users who have recommended the Raspberry Pi to you are telling the Truth.

While I still cling to my beloved  (and Bit Perfect!) SB Touch (EDO equipped) from 10yrs ago, the RasPi truly appears to be the answer to the future of Streaming Audio!!

So cool!  Source your own local Music, or reach out (with appropriate Sftwr) to hear what the WORLD is playing tonight!!!  smile:)

Has the potential to add an entirely new dimension to your listening for that  very reason!!

Yourself, and perhaps a Techie Friend can have you up, and running in no time!!

All the Best!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

8 (edited by mark2748 2019-10-16 08:07:54)

Allo DigiOne is a well-reviewed hat, probably only for the RPI 3 at this time:

https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione.html

9 (edited by mdelrossi 2019-10-17 00:06:08)

Rasberry pi 3b+ with Allo digione signature, Shanti power supply .
Sounds great!
Major upgrade from Bluesound node2, Bifrost multibit

10 (edited by Curt962 2019-10-17 01:42:09)

The Question for me...is the possibilty of streaming FW updates wirelessly to my SBT/ ADI-2 DAC Duo!  A Lazy Man's Dream come True! 

My SBTs do it...I'd wager the ADI-2 could too!   If, and when I ever get back home, I'm going to plop RME's latest FW into the Music Library, and give it a whirl.   

MC is far better versed in these matters than I.  It would be most welcome if he could share some insights!

Curt

That won't work for obvious reasons. The firmeware update is an application, not a data file.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Viele Dank MC...I suspected my plan might have difficulties.

It's really no big deal for me to move my Laptop 3M, plug in, and install FW.   I can dream though can't I?  smile

Thanks for the Clarification MC. 

Best Regards,

Curt

I’m very confused about the RPi products. I’m not tech savvy in the slightest, which is why I use apple products. So what is the benefit of using the digione vs a laptop aside from the form factor issue?

cmcmurphy22 wrote:

I’m very confused about the RPi products. I’m not tech savvy in the slightest, which is why I use apple products. So what is the benefit of using the digione vs a laptop aside from the form factor issue?

If you’re happy with the functionality of your laptop, Audirvana and remote, I would stick with this.  No advantage in sound quality in changing and you’ll only be adding technological faff, which I’m gathering you don’t really have time for. 

I went from computer + DAC, through various streaming options, and I’m now back at computer + Audirvana + DAC.

15 (edited by mdelrossi 2019-10-17 16:30:57)

cmcmurphy22 wrote:

The benefit is that you don't need to keep your computer connected to your DAC.

Also,
I heard major differences in moving from a Mac mini ,to blue sound node2, to  my Rpi / Digione sig/ Shanti power supply.
It really depends on your system and the synergy between components.

I use 2 options. Laptop -  rme adi2fs using foobar and pro-ject streamer - rme adi2fs when I do leave the laptop aside. I cannot discern the sound between the two.

17 (edited by Curt962 2019-10-24 02:21:51)

Guys, when making comparisons, and purchasing decisions, PLEASE USE the RME Bit Test feature!    ANY manipulation of the Bit Test Files whatsoever will fail the test, and likely explain why one Streaming device sounds different than the other.  See Users Manual for details.

Comparing various Bit Perfect methods of delivering data to the RME DAC should boil down to which method is most convenient for you!  smile

Happy BS Free Listening.

Curt

18 (edited by Emmablaker 2022-11-04 13:15:42)

I'm researching the best streaming option, and it's obvious that Spotify is a great variant. I don't know about your experience, but all other apps for music that I used are just a disaster because they all have bad and not intuitive designs. Sorry if this is offensive to you; I share my opinion on this particular topic. Spotify is great for many reasons, but the most important for me is streaming, because I'm a new artist and upload my songs there. Spotify's code helps people to find and listen to new artists in their music category and genre. I also use the services of streamingfamous.com company and buy streams to speed up the process.

Emmablaker wrote:

I'm reasearch on the best streaming option, and it's obvious for me that the Spotify is a great variant

Great? It's lossy using OGG-Vorbis codec with 160 kbit/s by default in the desktop version, premium: 320 kBit/s.

Spotify HiFi (lossless) is only announced and this since over a year. A release date is not known.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

20 (edited by KaiS 2022-11-03 09:55:45)

Emmablaker wrote:

I'm reasearch on the best streaming option, and it's obvious for me that the Spotify is a great variant

Qubuz, Deezer, Tidal offer a variety of quality vs. price options.

I‘m using Tidal, mostly streamed from iDevice.
Depending on the track it‘s lossless CD or lossy HighRes (MQA)-quality.

Qubuz offers real HiRes, Deezer CD-quality.

All offer MP3-quality at a lower price.

Other streaming services are Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon Music Unlimited, ...
If they don‘t explicitly mention HiRes or Lossless, they don‘t offer it.

I use JRiver as a player (flac, ALAC, mp3 etc.) and streamer (spotify, youtube etc.).

DAC: RME UFX II via USB.

Curt962 wrote:

Guys, when making comparisons, and purchasing decisions, PLEASE USE the RME Bit Test feature!    ANY manipulation of the Bit Test Files whatsoever will fail the test, and likely explain why one Streaming device sounds different than the other.  See Users Manual for details.

Comparing various Bit Perfect methods of delivering data to the RME DAC should boil down to which method is most convenient for you!  smile

Happy BS Free Listening.

Curt

Amen, keep reminding everyone of this critical action.

WY

CD Transport>optical>RME ADI-2 DAC FS(AKM)>XLR balanced >GLM software>Genelec Monitors 8340A