Topic: Adi 2 DAC Fs and strange hi pass around 150hz

I changed loudspeaker and in both now ther is a strange hi pass curve from 150hz. In the beginning i thougt that the problem was the new speaker but when i changed the first ones had the same problem.

There is some protection or filter that can be activate in an hot swap?

I measured both pair of speaker and the roll off curve is obviously some hi pass.

No distortion, no bump, nothing strange.

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-11-08 08:44:59)

Re: Adi 2 DAC Fs and strange hi pass around 150hz

According to your other posts you have the ADI-2 FS, NOT ADI-2 DAC FS, right?

But- if you indeed have the DAC, look through the DSP functions, specially Bass/Treble Control and Parametric EQ.
With one of the latest firmware versions installed, pressing the EQ Button once is all that is needed to check for both at at a glance by seeing the curve.

Both version ADI-2’s have DC-coupled outputs, so even an extreme impedance mismatch wouldn’t cause a high-pass effect.

What’s the model of your new speakers?
Studio monitors like Genelec often have a switch setting for HP Filter.

If you can measure you can even check the electrical output signal of ADI-2, to narrow down the cause of the problem.

3 (edited by sclebbo 2022-11-08 12:12:20)

I had adi 2 dac, i have adi2dac fs.
Hipass is not eq related. I reset dac yesterday.
I change from adam s5x to tannoy ellipse10.
Bot pairs sounds correct but with 20db hipass around 150hz.

Now i remember that the problem is really similar the one i had before. Hipass and lower output. First time i solved with output capacitors change.

All monitor controls are in 0db

Tried to use headphone out to monitors and works perfectly without hipass, low noise and good sound.

I suppose that the problem is only the main out both channels.

There’s no capacitor present in any of ADI-2 DAC’s outputs.

Did you have a look into Tannoy Ellipse 10’s PC configuration software?
There is a 150 Hz HighPass Filter available that might be active.

https://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net/styles/news_large/s3/imagelibrary/t/tannoyscreens2-od4kBrj5koQAlDmqiwUQJXKIlpYhe6wE.jpg

5 (edited by sclebbo 2022-11-08 13:09:55)

My version is the one without  dac\dsp, normal active monitor with some analogic regulation (all at 0db).
Now im listening Tannoy with correct response (measured 40-20k) with headphone (iem) out of Adi2DAC working perfectly.

I think the problem is only main out

6 (edited by KaiS 2022-11-08 13:48:36)

Did you press the EQ-Button when Line / Main Output only is connected, to see the EQ graph, checking for possible EQ?

The settings are individually switched for the various outputs, so you just need to unplug the ‘phones plug for a moment.

ADI-2’s Factory Reset sometimes fails because users don’t push VOL Button + Encoder 1, but wrongly Volume Control instead.

Else that would point to a transformer in the signal path.

Do you connect directly with a cable or have one of those Hum-Removal devices between ADI-2 and the Tannoys?

7 (edited by sclebbo 2022-11-08 21:34:52)

Factory reset was confirmed from the screen at restart, i tried to ceck A LOT of time eq curves on the screen and every time was flat.

Nothing more than  xlr 2m balanced.

Firmware\driver are latest

Anyway i will retry to ceck for ex curve with every out\monitor.

I found from the Tannoy some dispersion from the signal input around 50hz, that intensify with power consumption of the pc (videogame activation of video card)

Did you ever do a THD measurement? I wonder if the XLR outputs are broken not only in the bass...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Did you ever do a THD measurement? I wonder if the XLR outputs are broken not only in the bass...

i have only a umik1 microphone, and how is possible a not dsp related hi pass around 150hz????? in the adi2 because with different source works correctly tannoy and adam.

10 (edited by KaiS 2022-11-09 14:21:59)

sclebbo wrote:
MC wrote:

i have only a umik1 microphone, and how is possible a not dsp related hi pass around 150hz????? in the adi2 because with different source works correctly tannoy and adam.

You can do a THD measurement with speakers and the Mic too, THD should be significant if ADI-2’s outputs are broken.
Specially if you compare to a working configuration, like ADI-2’s IEM output.

As a last resort before assuming the Main Out is broken, 2 Tests:

• Preparation:
Do a full “Returning to Factory State”- reset, manual page 29:
Hold the little VOL button + Encoder 1 + Encoder 2 when powering up, until you see the message “Reset Done”.
Carefull: this will reset ALL settings, incl. EQ presets!

• Measure independently left and right side by unplugging one side at a time.

• If only one side shows the HighPass effect, swap cable connection left<>right at ADI-2 side and measure again.

Report back please, if the problem possibly follows a speaker, or stays with the same ADI-2 Output side.

I measured both tannoy speaker and both mainout with component connected in a free wall plug and works well with really low base noise and correctly frequency response, a friend tells me that maybe i have a bad multiplug that dont ground correctly.
Tomorrow i will try new good quality multiplug.
Is possible that hi pass is some sort  of adi2 protection against static current\load problems??

I resetted adi2 yesterday and the problem was not corrected. I tried to view billion times the eq setting.

12 (edited by KaiS 2022-11-09 16:18:45)

sclebbo wrote:

I measured both tannoy speaker and both mainout with component connected in a free wall plug and works well with really low base noise and correctly frequency response,...

That’s good news, ADI-2 DAC+Tannoy works correct when plugged directly to a wall outlet!

sclebbo wrote:

...a friend tells me that maybe i have a bad multiplug that dont ground correctly.
Tomorrow i will try new good quality multiplug.
Is possible that hi pass is some sort  of adi2 protection against static current\load problems??

I have a hard time to imagine how a bad power strip can cause exactly this, but if it’s practically proven ...

Not too likely but possible explanation:
Electronically balanced interconnects can deal with a lot of ground noise, but indeed there is a voltage limit, if ground potentials are too different they stop working correctly.

For this to happen both of your XLR - XLR cables need to have a split shield/ground connection.
It’s thinkable that someone did cut the cable’s XLR shields on purpose to get rid of ground noise.

From a former posting:

sclebbo wrote:

I Tried to use headphone out to monitors and works perfectly without hipass, low noise and good sound.

This worked correct too, and you probably had to change cables for that.
So maybe your XLRs are defective or “modded” with cut shields/grounds.

I rebuild original setup (now with adam) and works correctly i measured them and bigger distortion is 2.5%(comprehensive noise floor) @32hz around 85db medium.

I really dont understand, anyway my hi pass with adi2 for the night is around 200hz max slope possible, nothing possible confuse with 150hz\20db cut of the problem.

I found that i dont have ground connection in my electrical system,(my dad is an electrician) maybe helped the problem.

14 (edited by KaiS 2022-11-09 18:14:19)

sclebbo wrote:

I rebuild original setup (now with adam) and works correctly i measured them and bigger distortion is 2.5%(comprehensive noise floor) @32hz around 85db medium.

I really dont understand, anyway my hi pass with adi2 for the night is around 200hz max slope possible, nothing possible confuse with 150hz\20db cut of the problem.

I found that i dont have ground connection in my electrical system,(my dad is an electrician) maybe helped the problem.

Distortion figures are OK.

Now that HighPass starts to change frequency 150 <> 200 Hz, this points to a missing ground in the cables.

If possible, let your father check the cables and/or try some known good ones.

You can even unscrew the connectors and look inside, with Neutrik XLRs that’s easy, just unscrew/turn the black plastic part and pull out the inlet with the pins.
In both, male and female XLR, Pin 1 should be the blank shield litz, Pin 2 and 3 should have thinner wires each.
If you stick male and female together, same wire should connect with same.

With 20 dB cut you mean at 20 of 30 Hz or such, or a 20 dB dB/Octave slope?

is like parametric slope 150hz with fast slope of 20db and stable go downin frequency without increase the attenuation, cut 20db from 150 to 30 and stop.

I'm using the same cable now and working good, i will control anyway.

Father says that is possible that only rotate 180degree the plug of monitors can correct the problem (if youre lucky).

Why not try more cable and control used ones.