Topic: IEM Power

I need some clarification, as I've never had to do this level of research for a good quality DAC/AMP combo for IEMs.

I am in the middle of purchasing 64 Audio Fourte Blanc. https://www.64audio.com/collections/uni … urte-blanc

The specs say that it requires 10 Ohms power. For the ADI-2 DAC FS, it says IEM max power is 8 Ohms.  Though, when reading manual it says:

"Maximum output level is -3 dBu, equalling 0.55 Vrms. The noise floor at extremely low -121 dBu(A) stays inaudible even with the most sensitive In-Ears. At full output level and a load of 16 Ohms, distortion is lower than -110 dB or 0.00039 %."

Will the ADI-2 DAC FS power these IEMs without issue?

My second question: these IEMs come with a balanced 4.4mm cable.  Am I correct in presuming the Phones and IEM outputs are on the ADI-2 DAC FS unbalanced? (I realize I would need a 3.5mm (M) to 4.4mm (F) conversation cable regardless). If that is the case, is there a recommended piece of hardware to convert the unbalanced output signal to balanced? The IEMs do also come with a TRS 3.5mm cable, so, it's not the end of the world if I cannot use 4.4mm immediately with this DAC/AMP combo.

Thanks in advance.
MB

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-11-13 09:54:50)

Re: IEM Power

Yes!
ADI-2 DAC will drive the 64 Audio Fourte Blanc with ease, up to earsplitting 130 dB SPL, from it‘s IEM output.

The important spec to know for this is the IEM’s “114 dB/mW Sensitivity“.

The Fourte Blanc’s spec of 10 Ohm is the load impedance, and ADI-2 DAC‘s IEM output is spec‘ed to drive loads down to 8 Ohm, so no problem here.

For connection you should best use the supplied TRS 3.5 mm cable.

Using an adapter of any kind does not make sense.
A TRS 3.5 mm male jack to Pentaconn 4.4 mm female adapter would work, but wouldn’t improve anything.
An unbalanced amp is not changed into a balanced one by a simple adapter, signal-wise.

Anyway, there’s no generalization that balanced has a better sound than unbalanced, it’s just 6 dB louder, and at least 3 dB more noisy.
For IEM’s the practically most important factor is low noise, and here’s where ADI-2 DAC shines, and a lot of other amps fail.

Finally it’s the overall quality of an DAC/Amp that counts.

Re: IEM Power

The reply is very helpful.  My primary concern was not having to change out the balanced / unbalanced cable for the IEMs each time I wanted to listen through an unbalanced output (hence, using an adapter). 

Now I know the options to move forward with. Danke!