1 (edited by rossco 2022-12-08 12:46:15)

Topic: Moving adi-2 dac fs from desktop to main system.

Hi there,

I am moving my DAC from my desktop to my main system. I will be using the EQ for the first time with settings from HomeAudioFidelity based on measurements taken in the room. I will then be connecting a CD player and a raspberry pi running ropiee (for roon) and so both sources will benefit from the EQ.

I am unsure how to connect the DAC to my Musical Fidelity M6si amplifier, a dual mono Integrated, to get the best quality sound possible.

In terms of set-up, I think I have two choices. 1. I could set the DAC to 0db and use the external amps volume control connecting the DAC to the amp via xlr. 2. I also think I could set the amp into HT or home theatre mode, and I could connect the DAC to the HT phono input, this input is unaffected by the volume control on the amp according to the manual. In this second scenario, I could still use auto ref and control volume on the DAC but I lose the XLR connection.

Which of these two scenarios is peferable? Is there anything else i should consider? Thank you for reading!

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-08 13:25:30)

Re: Moving adi-2 dac fs from desktop to main system.

You want to apply your ADI-2 DAC’s room EQ on every input/source, and might not have other analog sources (?).

So using your Musical Fidelity M6si as power amp only has an edge above running through it’s preamp section, both in sound quality and convenience.

XLR vs RCA interconnects aren’t a make and break difference in most cases.

XLR balanced’s main advantage: it’s a solution if your setup suffers from ground loop related noise/hum.

Thanks @kaiS.  In terms of the input/source EQ, I thought as USB, optical and coaxial are all under 'line out' that was the only source I needed to EQ. I won't be using IEM or Phones. Or am I misunderstanding?

I will dig out some RCA cables in a bit and connect it up. With XLR the speakers have always been silent, no hiss or noise even very close up, but I suppose XLR would help with that. I will try the same test with RCA.

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-09 10:11:18)

rossco wrote:

Thanks @kaiS.  In terms of the input/source EQ, I thought as USB, optical and coaxial are all under 'line out' that was the only source I needed to EQ. I won't be using IEM or Phones. Or am I misunderstanding?

Source means Streamer and CD Player, but can even be an analog vinyl disc player etc.

If you DON’T have such analog stuff, using your amp in HT mode only, with all sources connected to ADI-2 DAC is a valid option.

5 (edited by rossco 2022-12-09 10:25:33)

I tried the RME in my main system last night. Switched to RCA and controlling the volume via the DAC worked well, except, I could hear quite audible noise when the speaker was not playing. This was alot more than using XLR. I disconnected the DAC, and the noise was still there. Tried a different power outlet too, but still there. I do occasionally listen at low volumes later at night, so this could be an issue. I switched back to XLR and silence is back. I wonder if its an issue with the amp, or my electrics or something else. Anyway, the RME is back in my desktop set-up for now. As the main reason, in addition to the EQ, I wanted to control the volume and make the most of auto ref functionality, so if I can't do that currently I would rather have the RME in my desktop set-up. I might look around for a power amp, with XLR input, and I could try again.

If your amp’s HT input creates audible noise even with nothing connected, it’s clearly a design fault of the amp.

But don’t care about that and simply go with the XLR if this, for whatever reason, works better.